Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Krooz

DC 2.1 IR Focusing

15 posts in this topic

I did the IR conversion over the weekend but couldn't see the results until today since my computer at the house went belly up.

Attached is a normal pic versus IR pic... just wondering if anyone figured out the steps to focus yet. The IR filter is so thin I'm surprised it has such an effect.

Thanks

Krooz

post-4-1116258161_thumb.jpg

Edited by Krooz

I have not had time this week to do any experimenting and will be out of town after Wed. I hope to get back on this first of next week. One thought I had was sanding the lens hood down. If you try this it would be a hit or miss thing. If you sand to much off it will be out of focus the other way and you can't get that back. Freeing up the thread lock would be the best solution but I don't know what to even try on that.

Personally I still think it has to do with reattachment to the board, not adding anything back. I haven't had the problems with focus.

I snugged it up pretty good.... didn't want to strip anything. Wish I new which way to go with it..... I will take another look.

Krooz

Trying to figure out how to refocus the DC 2.1 after the IR filter removal. And I have checked and double checked the housing to make sure its seated. It is.

I did a quick experiment and shimed the lens assembly out by putting a piece of computer label paper under the housing as it set against the board. Result was it made it worse. And judging by how much worse it got I would say it needs to get closer to the sensor by double the thickness. Bummer I'm in a Hotel and cant measure it or I'd post it.

Anyone know what the lens locking material is? Maybe we could free it up.

Edited by Ray Gunter

This is what I've done.

I filed off what I believe to be about .006 from the lens housing. Cant measure exactly as I'm stuck in a Hotel without any calipers and such but it looks about like .006 so I reassembled for Pic focus test. It was not enough. So I took off what might be another .006. Well its a little tto much. I've gone past the sweet spot.

From what I've seen so far with the DC 2.1 or I should say the one I have it appears that removing the IR filter shifts the focus such that the lens needs to be .009 closer.

Ray, .006 or .009 is about a tightness tolerence. That is 1/111th of an inch or less.

I bet HH is right, tighten the heck out of it and see.

How thick is a sheet of the cheap typing paper? I have to shim some lenses that much and it makes a big difference. The good typing paper is too thick.

Thats where I said before the screws are too short and try to strip out the housing. Just my openion, but I think the screws need to be replaced with longer.

I have not taken my DC apart yet. What kind of picture quality does the DC have before you make it an IR unit. Will it make a take decent pictures as a feeder cam or a long trail cam. I know it will need a slave flash to brighten up the pics as a regular cam or as a IR cam.

They are pretty decent hunter. Not CCD quality in my openion, but well worth the money.

Thanks HH, Krooz's balcony picture looked decent in the top regular photo.

That's what I'll try too.... just tightening down more. Maybe that's all it will take. Filing down will be my last resort.

Krooz

Well, after a couple of weeks I finally had a couple hours of free time to dink around in my shop. After trying several options I think I have my 2.1 focused for IR. The filter removed was .017" thick. Not wanting to sand the lens housing I tried replacement materials. 1 layer out of a 3.5" floppy diskette passed the IR OK but was still out of focus..... 2 layers looked closer but was way too dark. I finally dug up a lens for a sandblasting helmet - it measured .016". I cut it to fit inside the housing and just dropped it in and reassemble everything. (I don't think the cam can take too many more hacks at this point before the wires start breaking!).

See what y'all think. I think I can live with it like this.....

Krooz :cheers:

post-4-1117491570_thumb.jpg

:yes: Krooz, man that looks great to me. :worthy: