slave flash for use with the BG1

47 posts in this topic

I have been using a slave flash... with the BG1 for the power control. To me, this is by far the best way to control the power on any slave set-up with the camera and slave flash in the same case. With the BG1 you get the power savings offered by some other options...PLUS the flash will be fully charged just as the picture is taken. This ensures that you get the most from your slave flash. With other methods, the brightness depends on when the flash was last refreshed, or recharged.

Also, this takes up less space, is simpler to connect, less batteries to buy, and in many cases it is cheaper too.

It is a Vivitar flash and the Mosfet is inside too. The gold circle is the actual sensor for the flash. You could substitute it with a Peanut for the Sony cams. I do not cut a hole for the sensor, it sees the flash inside the case.

The batteries are on the back.

Just thought I would share.

Edited by 212

OK 212, your not going to get off that easy :rolleyes:

We need some details on that puppy.

Please share. :cool:

I will be glad to share... but tomorrow. 6:00 AM comes early around here.

The wait, the suspense, the need to know, the drama is bugging me. Somebody wake 212 up. Just kidding 212, looks really neat and small in size. :cheers:

:pray: Thats exactly what I'm looking for we need more info please

I need one....I need one!!!!!!! Actually i've got a 1060 p41/bg1 that I made lately to put a slave unit in it...now is the time :P

I will be glad to share... but tomorrow. 6:00 AM comes early around here.

Come on 212,don't put off tomorrow,what you can do today :worthy::worthy::worthy: :yes: :angel: :yes: ....................... :2cents:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz plop.... ouch :blink: fell out of my chair there waiting patiently.

212 must be having a looooonnnggg day at work!

Hey guys, I put together some pictures and I will post them now. Then I will edit them and add some explanation to them, OK.

Keep in mind I type as slow as we Texans talk.

I use a Vivitar 2800 flash because it fits. I am sure some others will to, but there are at least 6 versions of the 2000 and some will not fit because the capacitor is too fat.

I have only seen two boards and capacitors used in the 2800 and they will both work. Y'all need to let me buy some too on ebay, no hogging OK.

The 1-3 is self explanatory.

#4 This shows that you will cut the wires that connect the boards together. You want to save the ones you do not use...for parts. More on that later.

post-215-1201445471_thumb.jpg

Edited by 212

:huh:

OK #5 shows the board you will be putting in the enclosure and what should still be on it.

#6 is showing that you will need to reconnect the black wire from the bulb to the new location.

#7 this is the schematic for the mosfet circuit. More later on this too.

#8 The 2800 flash has a power saver circuit that will need to be modified for this application. This shows the solder points for a resistor you will add. I posted a picture on the forum somewhere, I lost it on my computer so I will find it here in a while. It shows it from the other side too.

post-215-1201445762_thumb.jpg

Edited by 212

:P

#9 as you can see, I used an electrical box (The shallow ones) for the enclosure because it fits nice and it is cheap. They are for old work I think. .

You will need to cut it down in size a bit. I use a table saw because it is there, but if you don't have one, just make do. It needs to be about (pretty close) 1 1/16. This will allow you to fit it in the case using the foam that you can get for the 1060. It also allows you to position it where you cut between the ridges on the case, it looks nice that way. There will be enough room for a piece of IR material or plain glass if you prefer and the PT100 tape to hold it on. That is about it though.

#10 This just shows the layout of the parts. Note the Mosfet is in the upper left corner.

#11 This picture shows that you can drill two holes through the box for the power wires. I use just a 4 AA cell holder from Radio Shack. Rotate the wires to point toward the inside.

I had a dickens of a time getting the battery holder to stick to anything. What I came up with is...first apply some aluminum tape to the holder. This is the tape used for duct work on heating and air-conditioning ducts. It sticks real good to the holder... then you can glue it to the box and it won't come off. You do not have the room to use the PT1100, I use contact cement but goop will do fine.

# 12 Pay attention to where I have to dremel the box for the board on the left side and for the capacitor on the right. I also remove the bump on the inside bottom of the box too. A sharp chisel will work in place of a dremel if you do not have one.

post-215-1201446008_thumb.jpg

Edited by 212

I just spent 12 hours in the sun at 90 degrees, so give me time :D

#13 shows the location of the slave on MY camera. I think it looks good there.

I had some material cut to 1 1/2 x 2 5/8 giving me about 3/16 around the "cut-out" for the tape to hold. That is about what you will get if you cut the Edmond's into 6 pieces too. You can use that if you want to, but you have to glue it in, no room for the tape. I did one like that and the guy that bought it from me complained about the flash being too bright, so I sent him the stuff I like....from Whitetail Supply. (Little plug there)

#14 It is a little hard to tell but I was trying to show that I use the connector Hags sells for the slave to the BG1. It only uses two wires, so whatever you want???

OK, now what did I leave out? :blink:

post-215-1201446177_thumb.jpg

Edited by 212

You people have to much time on your hands Lol Thats some real nice work 212 you sure have it down. I bet you have a truck load of vivitar 2800s and you are getting ready to start selling on ebay :cheers: Thanks for sharing it really is a nice setup ....treetop

Verry Good 212 nice and neet. :cool:

What is the gold circle I know you said it was a sensor for the flash but could you be more specific.

Thank you in advance :cheers: