txbowhunter

Making a slave flash out of a Vivitar 2800

28 posts in this topic

I have looked at the modifications that 212 posed on the 2800 and they look fairly simple. I just don't know how they will work with a pixcontroller board which is what I have.

Anyone else out there use 2800s and a pix board? If so, how did you modify the board?

texastrophy... no worries about the bad word. I am sure someone will answer it soon.. By the way, what part of TX are you from??? :cheers:

I know about the history between this site and the "other one". Believe me, I am a dedicated Hags House guy. :hags: I bought this board before I knew the BG1 could be used to power a slave. In spite of the rivalry, it is a good board.

I know people here are willing to help with anything reguardless of where it was purchased. :nowar:

Commando, I live just south of Tyler, TX.

NOW... BACK TO MY PROBLEM. How do I modify this thing?

I didnt ask about TX. I think. I asked just what it is you are wanting to do. Is it the slave board you need help with or the camera board?

I also have a Vivitar 2800 that I want to make into a slave. Would like to know how to modify. Allisman :flag:

Sorry Commando :bag:

I need to know how to modify the Vivitar flash board to bypass the built in power saving / overcharge curcuit. On a 2000 there are a couple resistors that have to be cut. I assume the 2800 is the same way. I just don't know which ones to cut.

allisman, 212 has several posts on how to modify a 2800 to recharge on its own. However, with a pixcontroller board, the board controlls the refresh time. I am not sure his modification would work well for my application.

Edited by txbowhunter

You might want to leave the power saver if you use the 2800, it can charge way too high without it. :2cents:

I was messing with one one day and watched it go to almost 400 vollts. :redlight:

Edited by 212

I gathered from one of your posts that the flash will charge to capacity, shut off and has to be either fired or turned off and back on to re-charge. Is this not correct?

If it is, I assume the pixcontroller board would charge the flash to capacity and would be unable to refresh the flash later because of the overcharge circuit on the flash board.

When you use a 2800 and the BG1 to power it, do you disconnect or modify the overcharge circuit?

Sometimes I do not make myself very clear, sorry.

When you get the 2800 you will have to turn the switch off and back on for the flash to recharge after it sits for a while, you know that.

You can disable whatever makes you have to turn the flash off and back on, by adding a resistor to the circuit. The overcharge protection will still work as before, but it will now recharge when the voltage gets low, or the power is removed and put back. Now you can use it.

This will help save power no matter what board is used to control it, because if it only takes one or two seconds to top it off, it will stop charging, thus save power.

Boy I wish I could explain it better. Hope this helps.

You are very clear. This helps A LOT!!!

Looking at your picture, I am a little unclear where to connect the resistor. Does it just go across the switch terminals? My flash should be here tomorrow so I can look at the board up close. I will probably have more questions then.

Thanks 212

No problem there on the TX thing, :D . I was just trying to get a little more info from ya so we could understand what you needed help with. Not that Im any help with that stuff :D