Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lechwe

Ouch!!!!!!!!!

7 posts in this topic

I was modifying my first 380 last night and got zapped by the cap. I also tore the ribbon cable for the display so I have to send it in for repair. How do I keep from doing this again?

Thanks

:blowup:

Radio Shack has 2-packs of 100-ohm, 1-watt MOF resistors, RS part number 271-152. If they don't have them, you could also use the 271-153 which are 1000-ohm. These should serve the purpose.

One should work fine, but since you bought two, you may as well wire the two resistors in series, and solder a piece of insulated wire on each end of the pair of resistors (6 or 8 inches should be plenty). Put heat-shrink over the resistors and the bare wires, and put an insulated alligator clip on the ends of the wires.

It'll only take a few seconds (max) to discharge the flash cap to a safe value when you clip the alligator clips to the two capacitor leads. If the leads slip and short out, you will have an exciting *BANG*.

Note: if the flash cap is charged to 330 volts, the pair of 100-ohm resistors will be momentarily dissipating over 500 watts! I have never had a problem using metal-oxide-film (MOF) resistors for this sort of thing, but carbon-film resistors will evaporate into a puff of smoke if you try it with them. So, the type of resistor is important.

I like using fingers. Ouchhh. No Jon has the right idea but then I tape them up on the board when I have it open. MC. :cheers: