FznYupr

S40 Camera Mod

15 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I just did my first mod on a S40 and I was going to just put in a 2.5mm jack but after I got into it my curiosity got the best of me... :cheese: "Why not just use the internal USB jack?" I will never use it any way! I have a memory card reader and all cameras usually come with the USB cable.

Well after bout an hour of monkin around with my meter, desoldering the USB connector :pray: (finding out I will never need to desolder it next time :yes: ) I successfully modified the S40 to be controlled by the built in USB connector. :cheers:

I will now have to use my 1060 case in the horziontal position (due to USB cable being on the side) but I don't this that's a big deal.

I am new here but have been reading the post for a while and I haven't ever seen anything mentioned regarding using the USB connector. Has any else ever tired this?

Regards

FznYupr,

:welcome:

This is BIG news! Several of the pros have said in the past that this just isn't possible, so if you got it figured out, either it's something new that Sony started doing, or this is a biggy. Awesome work!

The USB connector can be used,but it sticks out too far for me to use in a small case..............I would use the mini USB like the ones used on Digital binoculars....... :ThumbsUp::2cents:

more info please :D

are you saying the camera is controlled by the USB cable that is hooked to the camera and then spliced to the controlling board somehow? id love to not have to open up the camera. thats almost like the LANC on the video cameras if im understanding this correctly. all i have used is 1060's and i have no need to go smaller other than bragging rights that i shoehorned it into a smaller case.

Stil have to open the camera.

Just using the built in USB connector to control the camera instead of having wires hanging out or cutting a hole for another connector in an already cramped camera. It is a nice clean look, if you will. It is also very fast mod to complete! IMO

I made a document showing what I mean just tring to get it on the web. Darn passowrds :blowup:

Edited by FznYupr

There were a few uploading/storing problems, but here it is. This one looks Great! :ThumbsUp:S40 USB mods

No problem, and for those that downloaded before the time listed in this exact post, the file has been updated with the USB pinouts. :D

whoops, fznypr had a color coding error... as of right now it's correct. (file name remains the same, just redownload) :P:cheers: :hags:

:bag::rolleyes::D Thanks headnurse!! Little too much Kirschwasser maybe LOL :cheers: I hope to put this out this weekend. I will finish up my build in the next couple days I hope. Depends on how work goes and how may times I get distracted :eekout: .

Regards

Vey Nice Great idea and it sure makes a neat finish . What would happen if you hooked it to the computter by accident??

What would happen if you hooked it to the computer by accident??
:fear2:

Well I just tried it.

The camera turns on and boots to 'USB MODE'

The computer on the other hand doesn’t recognize that there is anything even plugged into it. You cannot transfer images either because I removed that circuit mount component creating an 'OPEN' in the communication lines between the camera and the computer. :D

:hags:

What would happen if you hooked it to the computer by accident??
:fear2:

Well I just tried it.

Brave man :lol:

Only what I called pin 1 at the camera end gets 5V DC when connected to the computer the other I think are for data so I flet it would be okay to connect to my PC and see what would happen.