deerhuntere1

handgun hunters?

Ok guys how many handgun hunters do we have here at hag's? I shoot a Ruger SRH in 45 LC/ 454 Casull with a 9 1/2 in barrel toped off with a Bushnell elite 3200 scope. :)

I carry one of the Special run Ruger Blackhawks with the Biesly grip in 45LC, SS. I like the heavy corbon +p ammo. I got a little too close to a bear in one of my horse strings a couple of years ago and ended the encounter with it.

I don't know if that qualifies as hunting, I've hunted bear but it isn't anything that I want to do any more.

Now I also carry a guide gun in 45-70 or a 12 gauge stoked with slugs in a scabbard when I pack along with the ruger LC. The ported guide gun is fast on target and carries a bunch of stopping energy.

I have a 45LC in a Winchester 92. It likes the +P ammo too and is fun to shoot.

T/C Contender. 30-30. I used to shoot IHMSA with it so I feel pretty confident out to 200 yards. The longest shot I have ever made on a deer was just over 50 yards, though. I hunt in thick cover here in NE MS. Longbeard

Though I didn't hunt with it this year, I have taken several bucks with my TC 7-30 Waters Contender and a 4x leupold. I just replaced the scope with a holographic sight. Haven't had time to sight it in yet. My longest shot was a dandy 152" 9 pointer at 80 yards. He ran towards me about 30 yards and piled up. The other 3 were within 50 yards and fell in their tracks. I fireform my own cartridge casings and use 120 grain ballistic tips.

John

i am, not a handgun hunter yet but i hope to be soon. i want a .44mag. what are some good scopes for this gun. i am not sure if i want a S&W, i think these look the best or a ruger, not sure which model.

Tinner

My 454 casull generates allot more recoil than a 44 mag. On my Ruger super redhawk I have a bushnell Elite 3200 2x6-x32mm. I have shot probably 200 rounds of full throtle handloads through it and it has held up well. As far as guns go I have heard some compplaints in the Tarus wheelguns. S&W's are some great guns. I personally liked the stainless steel target grey that ruger offered. The 44 mag comes in the polished stainless but if you waunt a little more power you can go with the 480 ruger or if u waunt the ability to shoot cheep 45 lc's then get the 454 casull in the super redhawk. Both the 480 and the 454 are in the target grey.

Like I said I liked the target grey but if you like the polished look S&W have several modles to choose from in 44 mag. Also check out Ruger and if your wallet allows Check out Freedom arms. Good luck.

I own the Tarus 454 and have had no problems with it at all. I really like the way it shoots also. My ruger 44 mags just seem so wimpy anymore :D

deerhunter, i do prefer the grey of the rugers to the stainless of the s&w. i am still not 100% sure which gun i want. i was reading about the s&w 460,. it says if you sight zero at 200 yds. you can hold zero for any shot from zero to 250 yds. sounds like a real flat shooter to me. turners, local gun chain, has a shooting fair end of may and will let you shoot any gun they have there if you pay for the ammo. i think i will wait until i get my hands on one before i make a final decision.

tinner

From what I have heard that new 460 is quite a cannon. They say that it has worse recoil than the 454 :blink: anyhow shoot it and compair it to the 454 using some winchester supreme ammoe. Post your results please. :cool:

commando---

I have no personal experience with the tarus modles so I am just relaying that I have heard that there have been several problems with the trigger mechanism jamming up and locking the gun up. To be honest I almost bought the tarus till I saw the ruger in the target grey. Glad that you got a good gun. :cheers:

Edited by deerhuntere1

Well I have been hunting with a variety of calibers for going on about 20 yrs. I started out with my first 41mag in a Ruger Blackhawk. From there, I quickly moved up to a Redhawk in 44 which I topped with a Leupold 4x. Several others came along afterwords including an IAI Javilina in 10mm which has had a lot of use. I guess I was lucky as everyone that saw me with it at the range said they were junk. Mine however has never jammed, stove piped, or malfuntioned in any way. It has taken a fair share of hogs through the years.

I headed to Wis. hunting several years back, and in doing so I aquired a Contender in 7x30 Waters. This was definately a different critter than a wheel gun. After working up a load using the 140gr Nosler BT's, I managed to take a doe back here at 280 yds. with one bang/flop shot. The power of that little round really surprised me on several hogs as well, right up till the one you see pictured there. It took everything that 140 had at 40 yds and then decided to try it's best to eat me. :fear2: Luckily my rifle was not to far from hand. Since getting this one I have picked up several other calibers for it as well. One of my favorite's is the 223 AI that I shoot the most. IT is cheap and fun to shoot and with a properly placed shot will take squirrels to hogs, with little noise and hardly any noticed recoil.

My mainstay however is my Redhawk in 41mag. Sighted in at 50 yds with some 200 or 210gr handloads, it shoots plenty flat enough to 100 yds to bust the hogs we chase after most of the year. It sported Ruger target sights on it for a long time but I recently changed them out with a set of hi-vis, fiber optic ones. They work out much better in the backwoods when trying to aquire a shot on a black hog busting through the undergrowth. After shooting hogs with it for so many years I would not hesitate to take out a trophy whitetial within 50 - 75 yds.

I am hoping to pick up one of the Taurus 454's sometime in the not so distant future, and hopefully I will get a good one. It will mostly be used with some stout 45LC's but I will definately have to try out some full power loads on several hogs just for the research value. :D

I use to hunt with a handgun all the time 41,357,221 because you need to work in so close and I have a bad knee HG hunting is now a thing of the past, I did take an Elk in Idaho years ago with a 41mag while grouse hunting it took 5 shots 4 hits 1 miss. they are very tuff animals my first shot was a front shot at 35 yards that knocked it over clipped the heart and went thru one lung, I also broke it front leg right under the shoulder on another shot and finely put it down by braking it's back just feet away from hitting a deep canyon and timber, with the finisher thru the neck.

post-20-1134323951_thumb.jpg

I usually hunt with my Taurus 454, but I just got a 460XVR 8 3/8 this year and like how it shoots. Going to give it a try this year. You can shoot 45LC or 454 with it also. But the 200 grain 460 S&W from hornady are just fine until I get my reloading gear together. I got a Burris 2x7 with Posilock on it, using 4 mag rings and a steel mount. Nothing has moved so far, after about 230 shots. Recoil is better than my 454 Taurus, but the muzzle blast without hearing protection is painful :blush:

460XVR.jpeg

Edited by all4abuck