Sign in to follow this  
BowhunterNJ

Attempted Cam Theft

Hey all, a few weeks ago before I went to OH (the day before literally), I was out checking my cams and spots.

After I pulled into where I park another hunter came in behind me about 2 minutes later. He stopped as he passed me and we started conversing for about 15-20 minutes. Seemed like a good enough guy, told me his name was Jerry, by the side of his truck I could see he was from Brick, NJ. Obviously in his work vehicle but can't remember exactly what else was on the side.

To make a long story short, he went his way, I went my way (long circle route around to my stand to not spook deer), and we nearly met up at my stand location as I saw him storming off and leaving right where my cam was. I quickly glanced, saw my stand was there, then ran over to my cam. As I got there, the tree it was in was sawed nearly 3/4 of the way with the saw blade broken off.

I tried to be coy thinking he broke the blade and might head back to his truck for another one and come back, so I backdoored him and went my circle hoping to get to his truck after he went back in the woods. In retrospect I should have just dropped my pack (with 30 lbs of bait and other gear) and ran after him. At the very least I could have gotten his license plate number.

Nevertheless, by the time I circled, he was gone. I called the local police whom called F&G law enforcement (COs) once they got on the scene and heard the story. While waiting for the police, I talked to the neighbors across from the piece and they both saw the guys vehicle, and one was able to identify the model and make since his buddy has the exact same one.

When the COs arrived, we went into the untouched scene and they gathered evidence. I gave them the cam for fingerprinting and they took the saw blade. Checking the camera's card, I found three pictures of the guy. One was bare handed with him carrying his stand and a minute later another one where he slanted the cam (obviously touching the case). Then another picture about an hour later of his hand/arm with him trying to saw through and steal the cam. No facial pictures.

Well I just heard back from the CO and he said since the cam wasn't stolen, there really were no laws broken other than attempted theft and cutting the tree ($50 fine). As such, he didn't want to submit the cam for fingerprinting because all he can charge the guy with was the cutting of the tree?!!? He said he will continue to patrol the public lands regularly and try to catch the guy (which I believe, NJ COs are pretty insane when it comes to catching violators afield).

So...what are my options?

Can I track this guy down myself with the following information:

1) First name (I assume this is his name, he was genuine when we were talking)

2) Model, Make, and Color of vehicle

3) Knowledge of it being a work related (constractor of some sort) located in Brick, NJ.

My thoughts were how many vehicles of that model, make, and color can be registered as a commercial vehicle in Brick, NJ. Furthermore, if they are registered under this guy, his name should cut it down even more.

What else would prove useful?

I thought of just calling all the contracting companies in Brick, NJ and asking for "Jerry". See how many hits I get and that will narrow things down.

Even if I was lucky enough to find the guy, then what? Go have a nice "talk"? Not sure what the COs can do about it. I have to call the COs to discuss this all yet, and also to arrange to pick up my cam.

Wanted to get an idea of what you guys think and would do.

Edited by BowhunterNJ

Glad your cam wasn't stolen. He was pretty determined to get it.

Not sure if there is anything more you can do. I would let it go since he didn't get the cam. He knows that you know it was him. He will probably stay away from your area.

Man, people these day's !

Will sit and BS with you like your old friend's then soon as you turn your back there trying to rob you blind. :angry:

Good thing, at least you won this time. :D

Now you got me worried, 2nd gun season start's today and I have 3 cam's out.

2 are up in a tree so they might not get spotted but the 3rd is waist high. They are on private land and no one has permission to hunt it.......But we all know how that work's. If they dont get caught, (they think) they didn't do anything wrong.

Thank heavens for cheap imported steel saw blades :P

John

should of ran to him when you seen it

John, I was thinking the same thing about the saw blades :D:P

You should have circled back and ran to his truck...slit all four tires and say you don't know what happened. I know a famous race car driver in the area who got tired of hunters tresspassing on his land. So he shot 4 times through their radiator one morning...they came running to see who was doing the shooting...he said oops, I missed the deer and left.....Good luck figuring out the driver!

I wouldn't do anything too fast or without making sure I had the right person. If you can track him down and since he didn't successfully steal your cam there is not much you can do but talk to him. If he is not confronted and let known that you and the Sherriff/Police know it was him or at least make him think that you and the officers know it was him he will try it again the next chance he gets... maybe not in your area but somewhere.

Track him down and convince him you got a good picture of him and turned it over to the law... Give him the information the law gave you as far as it was not stolen they can't do anything but convince him that the law now will be on the lookout for him if any more trouble of that nature is done. That just might convince him to leave everybody else's property alone.

Maybe you had another cam on that property that is now missing........ :rolleyes:

Yea,,,yea thats the ticket....... B)