tree sight

Focus of the ir Samsung.

30 posts in this topic

Can this be done? I think it may. The samsungs focus is fixed with two steps of manual adjustment, normal and macro. When the focus ring on the outside is set to macro, this turns a ring on the inside that raises the lens assembly farther away from the ccd, compressing the springs against the screws that hold it in place. This lets you take a picture up close(.2 meter ). After doing a ir mod I took a few pictures to see what they would look like, not good, but at one foot focus was good, as if it were on the macro setting. So I reasoned that if the lens assembly were to move closer to the ccd maybe the focus would improve. What I came up with was to remove the inside ring that adjust the focus settings. This lets the lens assembly rest on the ccd block inside the collar of which the focus ring was around.Took a few pictures to see what they would look like and not to bad. Focus look the be at a great distance but where we need it to be 5'-50' feet was still blurry. So I cut a paper washer shim to put distance back between the lens and ccd. This put me back to where I started from, up close about three feet this time, but the farther out I got the more I lost focus. So I made a thinner shim out of plastic film and the focus turned out pretty darn good if I do say so myself. This is just one cam but I do not see way it should'nt work on others. This is a rough guess but I would say my shim was between .002-.003 thousandth thickness of an inch, outside diameter was .5 inch by inside diameter .313 or 1/2 inch by 5/16. Other cams will probably very in thickness of the shim. This will not require you to replace the ir cut filter you removed in the ir conversion with apiece of clear glass, and will let you adjust the focus to the proper distance for trail cam use. With shims of different thickness say .001 and .0015 the adjustment can be made by .0005 starting at .001, pretty fine I think. What do you think? How thin can a shim be made? What about shim material. If a metal shim were used and it some how became magnetized would this effect the picture recording. Copper or aluminum would not become magnetized but could bind easily and not lay flat. So would it be best to use plastic? It would be nice if one the members stores could supply us with some kind of shims. Here could be two places to start looking at. practishim.com aloma.com I would like to say in parting that I have learned alot from this place and feels pretty good to maybe give a little back once. This is the place for you cam builders, none better. :hags: Have a merry christmas and a happy camming 2006.

Sorry guys I made an error on my shim measurement. Should of been 5/16 not 3/16 on the inside diameter. I have corrected it. I was going to take some test pics today but was kind of dark out and some moisture falling, will try again tomorrow. I have not posted a picture before, not sure I can figure out how. I will do my best, they will look good.

tree sight

Edited by tree sight

This sounds great. How about a couple of your test pics after the conversion?

Thanks.....Mike

This first pic was taken with the cam flash only at 12', color enhanced a little to brighten it up a bit.

Same pic but with a little more done to it. I got some plastic sheets in the mail on saturday to make some shims out of and have worked with the cam a little today and I think I will be able to sharpen the focus a bit more than this. Remember this is without replaceing the ir cut filter that is removed in the ir conversion, with clear glass. Focus is than adjusted with the shims.

I work with Optical Enginners as we do work for the Goverment and asking them what needs done to focus a unit after you remove the filter out of the camera. You need to move the ccd closer to the front lens 1/3 of the thickness of the glass that you have removed. EX. if your glass that you removed from the camera is .100" thick take .100"X.3333=.0333". What that means is you need to move the ccd closer to the front lens or visia versa by .033" Hope this helps

Pachanga,

Thank you for the tip. I cannot measure .0001" but I think this is close to what I am seeing. Did not even know it could be done this way but it works. Most cameras do not allow this movement, and the focus is done electrically, but the samsung is different. Your optical engineers could come in very handy here. I have a question for them or any one else for that matter. When a camera is made to see infared light and is then set to a special effects setting of sepia is there a ban in the visible spectrum that the sepia setting would be more sensative to. The camera probable does not work this way but what I am getting at is, if this would be possible and one was to make a filter to block visible light but would have a small peak at this ban of transmision, one could then hide the flash say to 90% trasmission and the camera could still pick up this small peak of light, it could brighten up the night pics. This would hide the flash for the most part and help the weak flash of the camera, and possibly allow one to get by without a slave. Wishful thinking I know but run it by them sometime and see what they say and get back to me if you would. Thanks again for the tip.

tree sight

Edited by tree sight

Some more test pics after final focus has been done. This is about as good as I can get it to. Total shim thickness ended up being just .00175". I think that is right, man that looks small. Took one shim at .001 and one at .00075. Got the material at plactishim.com they were free samples. Can not beat that but I had to make my own with a hollow punch.

First picture is at ten' at 100 iso with a slave and filters, gddeans on the slave and elks on the cam. Just a 60 guide # for the slave. Editing has been done on these. I think sepia takes a brighter picture than black and white but than I also prefer a slight yellow tint over the green look. Red bad.

Edited by tree sight

Looks like they lost some sharpness on the way there . Something I most be doing wrong. Should they loose quality?

Any how here are some pictures of what I am doing.

After I open it up and do the ir mod I remove the in side focus ring (left prong of tweezer) that goes around the collor of the ccd block.

Edited by tree sight

Then put your shims inside of the collor on the block face. Put every thing back together, then its trial and error until you find the correct shim thickness.

Been cloudy here the last few days, will post some day pics if the sun ever shines.

tree sight