Computer problems

Hers my trouble I have a 4 yr old gateway and the screen on the display seems to be going bad. It has lines through the screen that move up and down the whole screen really this is just annoying for what i use it for . Also the toolbar down below is almost gone it keeps getting thinner and right now I can hardly read it.

I also now have been getting a popup from winfixer (in the address bar)it shows its from add remove programs in the bottom bar This popup says i have critical errors in files and that I need to fix these or risk a complete loss It then prompts me to go to next and procede but I am leary that I will end up losing everything I guess I need to backup some things first and prepare to lose it all ??

Might be time for a new one I believe anyone have some suggestions on what to buy I dont do a lot with it listen to some music save my digital pictures and talk to you guys Also the budget is pretty tight so I dont want anything too much $$$ Thanks Dave

Dave, are u needing a monitor and a tower? Sounds to me like u need just a new monitor.I have a good friend that builds computer and can build them cheaply and with good parts and will last for quite awhile. Mines been going strong for over 3yrs now.

You can find some nice flat screens on Ebay for some very good prices.

Also if u do to www.downloads.com and install Ad-aware SE Personal it will greatly help your computer keep clean of virus's. I also use Spy-Bot search and destroy.

another one... Winfixer is another one of those horrible trojans that gets in and just won't leave.

Might want to check here: Vic's post

and here: knobby's post

and there's this one, too: cook's post

as for the screen, I'd do what you can about the trojan first because you never know just what they are messing with. See if it's still acting up after you get rid of Winfixer. :2cents:

Seems I am going to have to reformat as I cant get it out.

My plan is to put in another hardrive that I have format it and then then put the old troubled one in as a secondary drive and get my pictures Music and documents off it that I need

Seem reasonable??

HOW CAN I BE SURE I DONT BRING INFECTED FILES INTO THE NEW HARDDRIVE?? JUST RUN MY NORTONANTIVIRUS AND THE SPYSWEEPER RIGHT AFTER I SAVE THEM?? THANKS

Vic is gone for some R & R this weekend, I'll bet he can get you fixed up when he returned. Good luck with it.

treetop.. I can't say for sure if the trojan would migrate over to your other drive while you were transferring the files. I'm sure someone else can pipe in here to help with that, but it definately shouldn't be in with your pictures, music or documents.

Do you have any way to just back those up to CD, or SOMETHING? BTW... if you have a card reader and a bunch of memory sticks, etc for your cams, those can be used to back up files just like a floppy or CD.... that way you could just reformat the drive and then do what you want to on the system without worrying about it. :2cents:

After you install your new hard drive-----------drag your pics to your primary drive and any other files,then re-format that drive............Run any anti virus software you ahve and any spyware programs also. :2cents:

Okay here I go again I put the other harddrive in I had this in my daughers computer for a few weeks while Gateway was sending someone to repair hers. I disconnected my hardrive and installed the new/used one I got a black screen and I am not sure of what i need to do but figured I needed clear it. I have support at Gateway so I called them First they transfered me to the pay per minute line and I called back They told me I really needed to get ahold of Spysweeper who I bought the spyware program from and remove the spyware as if I didnt it could be hidden in my memory and come back even after a reformat?? Thanks again Dave

Check the jumper settings on the harddrive...... :2cents:

Scanned through all this and may not have soaked in all the specifics but...

Don't reformat based on a virus unless your fully prepared and don't even do it then!!. Clean out yer problems and learn what caused them cause your bound to just get virus back again from either your improper safeguards or bad habits...

Now don't get me wrong, am not saying any of us are immune to problems. We all catch a cold once in awhile...

What I am saying is people are getting this bright idea of reformatting because they hear that it is what computer shops do some times or they know someone had success at it. That may not be you if you know not what problems you could run into. One reason computer shops do it is cause time is money and they really don't care about your data or configuration and trust that you back things up regularly to your own liking.The other reason is that they have the files, tools, and know how to get most systems back up and running good enough for a new stint.

...Is a chance this 4 year old systems drive runs by way of disk overlay software and so tampering or attempted reformatting of it will result in it not working correctly (least as a master boot drive) on all systems you try to place it into..

Jumpers are the important thing to look at first if your trying to slave it in another system but the drives possible use of an overlay is not to be ignored in an older system... Just a thought.

How old is the daughters drive your trying to boot to? Did jumpering it get it to boot?

Edited by Strungout

Okay Ill try to talk slow as thats the only way I can anyhow

I am running widows xp home I have a norton Antivirus and Spysweeper on the computer.

Recently I have been getting a popup from winfixer that tells me I have critical errors in my computer and I need to download winfixer It almost looks like a windows message and in the bottom toolbar it even shows add/remove programs appears and this makes it look authentic TO ME :bag:

This causes the computer to go through a series of popups and shuts off the internet. Once oin awhile it spysweeper shows it has blocked winfixer from downloading on the computer I ned to do something as it seems worse all the time.

On the other harddrive Long story but the extra hardrive is several months old A gateway tech installed it but I had put another in while they screwed around my daughter had aton of her work in the other one so she was at college and just took this one out and put the one I had in nback in her computer and sent the new one home Its basically new but formatted for her computer so I beleive I would have to redo it?

I would love to find what is in there causing my problems but also would like to add the other harddrive so I can keep some of my things backed up better.

Thanks for the help and patience Dave

treetop, you got pm..

We've dealt with Winfixer here at the house. About the only ways to remove it that I've actually seen work is either a long and involved process of running some programs and checking with a tech to see what you have to fix (don't remember what they were) or to buy their software to remove it. (You'd think this would be illegal, wouldn't you?)

I understand what Strungout is saying about not actually having to reformat and reinstall and depending on what you use your computer for, changes you have made and just what you have installed on it since you last installed the OS, you might not want to do that.

I prefer to just reformat and reinstall from my system disks for something like that because it's faster and easier for me to just redo my settings I prefer, reload the software, etc and I'm ready to go again. (Of course, I keep most everything backed up.)

Depending on the make of the other drive you have, the web site of the company should have software on it for setting up the drive to your system if you aren't sure what to do. I've got computers here that are about 6 or 7 yrs old that the kids are using and there's always a way so the age of the computer isn't an issue unless you are trying to go beyond the computer's abilities.

O.k., I'm done rambling... ask if it doesn't make sense... :bag::P

nevermind... darn dial up is behind everyone else. :rolleyes:

Edited by headnurse69

Scanned through all this and may not have soaked in all the specifics but...

Don't reformat based on a virus unless your fully prepared and don't even do it then!!. Clean out yer problems and learn what caused them cause your bound to just get virus back again from either your improper safeguards or bad habits...

Now don't get me wrong, am not saying any of us are immune to problems. We all catch a cold once in awhile...

What I am saying is people are getting this bright idea of reformatting because they hear that it is what computer shops do some times or they know someone had success at it. That may not be you if you know not what problems you could run into. One reason computer shops do it is cause time is money and they really don't care about your data or configuration and trust that you back things up regularly to your own liking.The other reason is that they have the files, tools, and know how to get most systems back up and running good enough for a new stint.

...Is a chance this 4 year old systems drive runs by way of disk overlay software and so tampering or attempted reformatting of it will result in it not working correctly (least as a master boot drive) on all systems you try to place it into..

Jumpers are the important thing to look at first if your trying to slave it in another system but the drives possible use of an overlay is not to be ignored in an older system... Just a thought.

How old is the daughters drive your trying to boot to? Did jumpering it get it to boot?

:2cents: Let me say more on this Strungout...

First off-I reccomend to re-format for several reasons:

Don't buy SPYWARE programs that say they will get rid of all the problems you have.Now,not saying you need some programs-YOU DO.I.ve got several myself.

Been working on computers for 8 years now and I think it is just easier on the people to get rid of most spyware,to reformat.Now unless you are expereneced in the registry system-where most adware,spyware lies hidden........you can remove it with some software,but not all.then when you do remove some files then to find out that other programs quit working and get errors like -FILES MISSING,A COPRRUPT DLL FILE and etc............Most trojans and spyware like to attach themselfs to the system 32 files,so if you remove them you have more problems.Like slow running,won't bootup,etc........internet won't work.

I've even spent $100.00 worth of software years ago to no end-so I say save your money,back up your important files and reformat and start fresh with a clean system.........unless it is in your backup...........It's just easier on some people,but I do encourage people to expand thier knowledge..if you want to try it-do it..... :2cents: