Sign in to follow this  
shadowdog

World-class elk in Texas?

So when you say "free ranging" I take it that there are no high fences to keep the animals in and the way I read the above quote are you saying that people are buying captive deer and turning them loose into the wild for genetic breeding purposes........ Is this correct? and if so is that legal in Texas? I am not 100% sure on this but I think in most states this practice would be illegal and very risky health wise to the herd of a population of free ranging wild deer.

Legal or not, I know for a fact this happened in the past. Many deer farms in WI sold deer to southern states to boost genetics and body size. Now with CWD I think it has become illegal in many places.

The point is that even if the elk had not had the hole in its ear and there was no way to tell if it had been released some 7 years earlier, B&C would still not accept it. We do have free-range elk in the western and southwestern parts of the state, but B&C will not recognize them for some reason. B&C actually brought this up for discussion at their Dec. meeting, but decided to still not accept any elk killed in Texas into their sacred book. They are placing the blame on the State of Texas for not having an elk season, bag limit or special permits to hunt them. We still consider them exotics (just like hogs) and you only need a state hunting license to hunt them anytime you want to year round...

Just in case there is any ambiguity, the CF Ranch is a HUGE ranch in West Texas with no high-fences. The story was a little confusing in parts, but it is a free-range ranch in the mountains of West Texas...

Rambow.. I do not remember the elk draw, but the glass mountains are right next to this ranch if not part of it... Sure would be nice to know some people around that area to be able to hunt them. Especially since you can go anytime you want to...

gslam95,

Thank you for the compliment. Your absolutly right, I also feel we have been really blessed in our outdoor experiences.

As your aware, the ranches in the southern, and western portions, of this state encoumpass sometimes several hundered thousand acres. When there is this much to fence off, or for that matter, to live on, folks that have the $$$, can pretty much use it as they wish to a certian extent.

And to answer your question, no there is nothing to keep them "in" but six to nine strands of barbed wire. But then again, when they have several hundered thousand acres to live on, "in", is a realitve term. However, you won't find most ranches under 3-5000 acres practicing this. These ranches generally have worked with the existing herd, and have taken many years to develope just what they wanted. High fenced or not, it can be done, but still Joe Shmo doubtfully will be hunting these properties.