Arkansaselkhunter

Food Plots in the south

Whatever you do, don't skimp now. I've learned it's better to spend a little more the first time on food plots and attractants, than muddle through a couple of futile attempts.

Looks like a good piece from the map...You'll always have something to do now! :cool:

AC

Well you got a great looking place there AEH, hope you and your family enjoy it for many years.

The iron and clay peas should do well in the soil you described, we have planted them for a couple of years, and the deer have always mowed them down. Last year they didn't even give them a chance, they got up about 18" and in one night they took out three half acre plots. LOL The biggest drawback on our property is that we only have a 4 wheeler to do anything with. After the peas are done the remaining stalks or vines were a pain in the backside to clear out. But the results speak for themselves.

I would however suggest, that if you can, law wise, plant some sort of milo, maze or corn , in rows along with the I&C peas. THis will give the vines something to grow up on as well as spread out around on the ground. It will also provide additional browse and food for the turkeys as well. This way you might not have to shred any of it come fall just let do it's thing. IF the game in your area is anything like around here, you won't have much to clean up afterwords. IF you are able to do this, I would put the stalked stuff in like 3-4 rows, seperated by a couple of yards and repeated. This will give you better availibility of food as well as visibility and sudo cover for the game. I have also heard it recommended thatt planting some sort of high border type shrub or such along the outside border will help to keep prying eyes from wanting to slip a shot in where they are not welcome. Some suggest a cane break or corn, or several rows of giant sunflowers. The sunflowers will also help out with the native birds and smaller critters. Bear in mind though, no matter what you plant, you will discover that the deer and turkeys, will not be the only visitors.

We have tried most of if not all of the top recommended brands of commercial products out there. Out of them I think the No-Plow did the best, but it was still pale in comparison to the peas. Those I & C peas or sort of like rye grass, most of the time you only need to get them in the ground and wet, and they go from there. Some fertilizer is good, but we have had several plots which once planted, just did their own thing, and produced just as good of results.

Good luck in your endeaver, and as you will learn, it becomes a labor of love. Nothing like seeing a bunch of game out in your food plots. Even if your not hunting it, it still brings joy to the soul.

AEH, I found this site with some great prices and only $5.95 shipping on 1 or 100. All kinds of trees and vines as well as flowers too. Check out the entire thing as they have some bulk prices too I think. :cheers:

I think you forgot to post the link. I can't find anyone with Alyce Clover in stock so if you come up with one for that, let me know.

We planted 100 persimons and 100 sawtooth oaks last weekend and I'm still sore. We used an auger to dig the holes and put in fertilizer and then watered them in. I cant wait to see them bud out and see how many survive the transplant.

I hope they grow well for you AEH. Later this summer, show us a few pics of how there doing.

A MIND IS A TERRIBLE THING or the lack of having one :P

LINK TO NURSERY

post-17-1142260650.gif

Edited by cook