FznYupr

S40 Cable Damaged from Lens Cover?

7 posts in this topic

I was putsing around and found this... Please correct if you found otherwise.

Problem: :doh:

S40 ribbon cable from the lens cover is broken

Not sure... Symptom: :unsure:

Camera turn on, Lens cover does not open, Camera LCD says power off and on.

Cause: :blink:

Camera checks status of lens door at power up. If Lens cover open switch is not made Camera boot fails

Solution :D

Manually open shutter lens door. Remove cable from connector at board (Do not reconnect after mod) Solder a jumper as shown in attached picture. Reassemble camera and test. If this was the problem and if done correctly Camera will now boot.

Caution :o

Solder joints are very small. Only attempt if you are good at soldering NO OFFENCE. Cover work area with some tape in case of a solder blob.

Good Luck.

post-4-1141958551_thumb.jpg

Edited by FznYupr

:ThumbsUp::ThumbsUp: Something else to add to the 'help' files. :D:ThumbsUp:

Can this be used to force the lens to stay fully extended? If so, does that decrease the trigger time as the camera doesn't need to wait for the lens to extend before snapping a photo?

Can this be used to force the lens to stay fully extended? If so, does that decrease the trigger time as the camera doesn't need to wait for the lens to extend before snapping a photo?

Nope, It will only allow the camera to function again if this cable becomes damaged during the MOD.

So far to my knowledge there is no way to keep the lens fully extended. I have one idea to try but haven't had time yet. Too busy with the new house.

can i make this jumper instead of the "covering of contacts on shutter cable with tape " mod to keep the lens doo open? i assume it would work and i could just leave the shutter ribbon unplugged.. i will have to do some looking to see where these contacts are.. that pic is quite a close-up..a good cam and pic both..

thanks

teebo

Edited by teebo

You could just put the jumper wire in and leave the ribbon cable out.... By I think putting a piece of scotch tape on the ribbon is much easier.