IR cams

41 posts in this topic

I see more and more of you guys building IR cams now...GOOD!...I just ordered some more parts for another one too. Good old George sells the things I use...I thought I'd let the newbies know where they can get them. I've always been happy with the guy, he treats you right.

http://trailsendcams.com/

I'll second that. Top notch service, great products and a great guy. 003.gif

Chris I have been working with George and mostly tree sight trying to get a S600 ir mod done. It was a challenge for sure I wouldnt want a new member to try this one unless he is really sure of himself. I finally feel its there I hope to get time to finish a S40 in the next day or so and report back. Mike I am a believer Thanks

Here is one pic 30 ft No slave Program mode iso 600 3 wire setup

The S600 is the best camera I have seen for IR with no slave added. makes a very useable cam for IR with no slave out to 50 feet with photo enhancement and to 30 feet without.

These pics are with no enhancement and only converted to greyscale. the camera is set to full auto settings, under properties pics were taken at Iso 320

In open fields flash is not as good as in wooded areas, seems bouce flash plays and important role as well in the picture being illuminated.

Here is a nightime picture

DSC00160-1.jpg

Here is a a couple of Bucks from the other nite still carrying, the one in the back is not to bad:

DSC00242.jpg

Daytime picture on a CLOUDY Day, sunlit days are much clearer and vivid:

DSC00301-1.jpg

Wow! Great Pics! Going to give the S600 IR a Try! :)

Yip, great service.

I'm still on the d380 for IR....I don't think I even want to try that S600.. :blink:

ill try it when I get better with electronics!

OBH

Is the S600 like the P32/P41 in that it's hit and miss on cams that make good IR's ?

Or do they all (S600) seem to do a good job ?

Edited by silbowhunter

silbowhunter I believe that OBHS cam was modded by whitetail supply and from what I can tell is that the replacement glass will be a hit and miss some cams will do fine with it and others just wont get it. I wish some more guys would post some pictures with one to be able to tell for sure as I believe there are focus issues with some replacement glass mods.

I will say I did mine diferently and shimmed the ccd from the lense with no glass. This was a way that tree sight has been working on. It was very painstaking especially being the first one I am doing a s40 now and they appear to have the same lense assembly as the s600 other. I also am using the shim method on the S40 and it is going much better being my second one. Kind of uncharted water. tree sight and gdean have been a big help so far. What I believe happens is that Sony calibrates the focus after the lense is assembled with a tool (This post from 212 seems to support this theory http://hagshouse.ipbhost.com/forums/index....1&st=&p=entry ) and when we change the ir filter with clear glass that the light is refracted differently and that causes slight changes in the auto focuses ability to compensate some it can others it cant ?? what I have found in my S600 is .001 makes a world of difference by the time I was finished with the S600 I was down to a .03675 shim to get it where I needed it. I will try to come up with the mods so you will be able to use glass or the shims but again its a tough one and easy to get yourself a ruined lense assembly.

silbowhunter,

It depends on how you go about it. What treetop has done was, to use shims to position the ccd so that the camera will take a focused picture. This was done without replacing the ir cut filter with clear glass. Iam sure he will show us his project in the near furture. This method should work for all S40s andS600s. One more thing I will add is that using the S600 with out a slave is fine and dandy but, the more illumination you have the sharper the focus and the greater the distance the cam will see. With the BG2 soon to be release this should be a breeze.

tree sight

Well put the cattle prod to me and I went at it again 2 pictures S40 first one .030 shims second with .028 shims I did another in between the times are right so I was in and out 3 times in this time 17 minutes. This is taken in a dark room and the flash covered with some of Gddeans Ir material

Edited by treetop

treetop.

With your shim bed this thin it becomes more difficult for the tape to hold every thing together thight. May want to add a foam dot to the backside of the ccd to keep everything snug.

ts

This is what I am going to go with it ends up with .029 shim in the s40 I hope to have how the s40 and s600 mods are done out for everyone soon. It requires the same method if you are using glass or the shims. Sure would loike to hear from some of the guys who have tried the glass to see if there are issues with some of them focusing? Daytime pictures are great and the dark are harder to get perfect using the shims but I think these look great.

I aggree those look very good the target looks to be about 35 feet away is that about right? nice job there TT!

Treetop.

I hate to be critical but if you look at your picture taken in the dark you will see that the right side is a little better than the left, or is it just me. This can be caused by the shim not staying down in the bottom step. But this usually effects the top and bottom of the pic. So in your case I wounder if you could have a burr on the edge of one of the shims. It dose not take much to make the ccd unlevel and effect the picture this way.One other possibility is the upper left corner of the ccd is not being held thight to the shims with the tape. This area is the hardest to get taped down with the same tension. Just tring to help here.

tree sight