A little info about web browsers and viruses

Talked to an IT guy today and asked if Mozilla Fire Fox had additional protection built in to prevent viruses. He said that it has holes too, but you are less likely to get a virus with it. The reason isn't necessarily that it's more secure, but that most everyone is using Internet Explorer, so the hackers write their code to take advantage of Internet Explorer. Would be a waste of time to write it for a browser that isn't very common. He said it's the same for people on Mac machines. Anyway, I am now a proud user of Fire Fox at home after my machine at work got nuked yesterday. If you are not on it, like several others here, I recommend switching to it too.

Go to:

MOZILLA

and click the link for downloading fire fox. On a fast connection it only takes a couple of minutes to get setup. After the insall I selected to go ahead and run it and it gave an option to import my favorites from Internet Explorer. I selectedthat and then once you are in Fire Fox, the main difference is that favorites are called "Bookmarks". They were not sorted correctly, so when you click on bookmarks, right click and select "sort by name" and you will be good to go.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'bout time, Gary. :lol: Us Firefox users made it thru both virus 'incidents' with no problems. Didn't you read our posts telling you guys to get it???? :rolleyes:

Glad your computer and all your info are safer now--really. 003.gif

I was out of town and missed this last virus, what changes on the computer if I went to use firefox. Does the screen change so I can't find anything.

I don't do well with changes :D it's a memory thing.

cliff

Glad I just got dsl through the phone company, downloaded fast.

Edited by wildebeast

FireFox has been in the computer forum for over a year now-----been using it for that long and no problems.So get on board.............. :)Computer Forum on HAGS

wildebeast,it is just another browser to use-you still can use IE if you want to also :P

Edited by Vic

Firefox if fine, but if you have an adequate AV program with a subscription to updates you had no problem. At least I didn't, and I saw it both times. I use EZ Trust at home, and don't recall right now what the one at work is...

I hate firefox! Looks to cheep to me like driving a vespa scooter. I'll just keep good protection. anyway took me about 15 minutes to get both viruses in the trash and gone. Everyone is lucky its was a amature that created the thing. If it was a well in the know hacker- virus guru everyone would have very dead machines right now! what if it was one of those that fix a reside in your memory? Bad deal there

No browser is safe its just like ghoot said about 95% of users have IE so these things are written for the masses.

Mat CA eztrust is what I use! it is a great AV Lots of major corporations use it! I like it better than Norton any day!

Edited by nightshift

HN, sometimes I gotta take a good whoopin to learn my lesson. :ph34r:

I work for a major fortune 500 company, and believe me, we have some serious protection. Our antivirus software caught it and cleaned it up the 1st time. This time I freaked and shut my machine down before it was done I guess. Anyway, when I went to log back in, it would take a couple of hours and then when it finally logged in, I didn't have network connections. One of the IT guys ran several programs and did find a jacked up registry setting that affected logging in, but that didn't fix it. We tried his ID with the same results. He was able to copy all of my data, so it wasn't too bad. I have had that machine for 3 or 4 years, so I have a lot of "stuff" to reinstall, but I'm getting a new machine in a month or so anyway, so I'll just install what I need to get by till then. He said he doesn't think that the virus is what caused my problems. Maybe not, but in a round about way, it probably was.

im not knocking firefox, I downloaded it but never installed it. But I use AVG antivirus (FREE) and it caught it both times, no problem. I highly recommend AVG it is a very efficient program, unlike symatec and Mcaffee, works great, trouble free, IS FREE, runs everyday on schedule, scans email, etc. Ive been using it for 3yrs with no problem. I love it. Did I mention its FREE?

We use AVG also at our company. Even our servers. One time we actually purchased some software that we were to download so that we could use it right away. Our AVG by Grisoft said it was infected with some sort of virus. We called the company. He said that another guy using AVG already called which prompted him to call the norton experts. Norton assured him that there was no virus. After I put up a fight and said I trust my antivirus software and I don't want your infected software, he called the Norton guys back. Ends up that the software was infected and it took a Norton expert to look at the file to say yea its infected.

Free doesn't always mean cheap.

Yep, I use that at home too 'cause the IT guys at work sugguested it, but It sure makes me feel better that the virus may never even make it through with fire fox.

nightshift,

Not sure what you mean by it looking cheap? It has forward and back buttons that look real perty to me :P , and it has bookmarks and displays the webpages that I want to see. What more could ya want? :lol:

Edit: Here's a screen shot.

post-34-1145501229_thumb.jpg

Edited by ghoot

I have Fire fox and the newest version of Norton. Neither virus fased me.

I would reccomend you guys download some extensions like ad block and script block. Without all those ads loading(on here it isn't a problem) the pages load so much faster(I have dial up).

The main point here with the talk about Firefox is that your antivirus doesn't HAVE to catch it. It doesn't get in. My spyware stuff, antivirus, etc., etc., never even peeped when I logged in either time there was a virus problem because it didn't get in to my computer. The system tried to redirect but it never happened. I did copy the attempted redirects and block the IP's just to be safe, but NOTHING GOT IN. :D

gosh, I love Firefox.