A little info about web browsers and viruses

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: 212-- it's called a DICTIONARY. Or paste the word you're not sure of into MS Word and then run their spell check....

Maybe they'll add one if enough people ask...

Okay, I've been reading on the virus and the loss of posts.

Would somebody please help explain this virus to me!!!!!!

My computer seems no worse for wear, and I check the forum no less than 5-10 times a day lately.

What has happened to those who have been "infected" I have run my av and didn't pick anything up,,,,,,I just would like to know what to look for.

thanks

The main point here with the talk about Firefox is that your antivirus doesn't HAVE to catch it. It doesn't get in. My spyware stuff, antivirus, etc., etc., never even peeped when I logged in either time there was a virus problem because it didn't get in to my computer. The system tried to redirect but it never happened. I did copy the attempted redirects and block the IP's just to be safe, but NOTHING GOT IN. :D

gosh, I love Firefox.

Ditto HeadNurse. If it wasn't for all the posts, I would have never known we had any trouble.

I downloaded firefox at home after the last virus. I had a problem that whenever I wasn't on line, it would try to connect. Then my phone line was busy. I only have one and I use for both puter and phone. I have my dialup to connect automatically, so when I double click the IE icon then it dials. Firefox seemed to think, when I'm not online reconnect... It is probably a setting. I didn't want to mess with it. I might try it again. At work we use ie also. We are pretty secure here..

nightshift,

Not sure what you mean by it looking cheap? It has forward and back buttons that look real perty to me :P , and it has bookmarks and displays the webpages that I want to see. What more could ya want? :lol:

Edit: Here's a screen shot.

I downloaded Fox after I decided to not to pay $10 a month for MSN's bells & whistles. I don't like IE, never did. I like Firefox because you can open more than one window because I do lot's of searching needing comparison with other pages. It's real helpful. I didn't have to much of a problem with the first virus but never noticed the second one. I don't think any browser is 100% safe. Sooner or later some moron will find a way, they always do.

ghoot my theme is prettier than yours!!!! :P:P:P

OK HELP!!!!!! I can't insert a screen shot by using browse! It's inserting it as an attachment. Why isn't it working someone ??????? :angry:

Edited by Abby

I certainly wouldn't use Firefox as a replacement for a AV program. Not only do you still want the AV program, you need to have it regularly updated with new definitions automatically - mine checks for an update every time I fire it up.

Yep, I use that at home too 'cause the IT guys at work sugguested it, but It sure makes me feel better that the virus may never even make it through with fire fox.

nightshift,

Not sure what you mean by it looking cheap? It has forward and back buttons that look real perty to me :P , and it has bookmarks and displays the webpages that I want to see. What more could ya want? :lol:

Edit: Here's a screen shot.

It looks like the old windows 98! Abby I can open all the windows I want with IE?????

But Guys and Gals Ive always Been a glutton for punishment :unsure:

And to give you a idea of my intelligence! I used to be the proud owner of a gamespy 100 :rolleyes:

Edited by nightshift

I use stop sign, never had a problem at all

If you don't like FireFox - maybe try Mozilla (by the same people).

To prevent all sorts of bad stuff - disable Jave, ActiveX, Flash, limit scripting, set up your various security settings (trusted sites, etc), set e-mail view to plain text and limit the e-mail download size to 15K or so.

Virtually nothing will get in. Sometimes you'll need to enable Java or open up the scripting a bit to use certain sites or features.

ATTENTION: Firefox is not to be used instead on any AV,it is to be used aas a browser with less holes than IE.Use with any AV of your choice

ATTENTION: Firefox is not to be used instead on any AV,it is to be used aas a browser with less holes than IE.Use with any AV of your choice

Thank you, Vic. That's the point I was trying to make... guess it didn't come out quite right. :unsure:

I figured out a way not to get any virus --- Don't use the internet or email......

Scruff, don't scare us like that again!!! :o

Edited by headnurse69

Thank you, Vic. That's the point I was trying to make... guess it didn't come out quite right. :unsure:

You have that problem a lot these days......085.gif