Sign in to follow this  
sambarseeker

IR cam to catch crooks?

Folks, a professional wild dog trapper buddy of mine is having trouble with some "less desirables" stealing his dog traps. He has asked me to build him a cam to try to catch the licence plates or faces of those responsible. I'm going for the old favorite of a P41 I guess mainly because from the mod instructions I've read, it's fairly straight forward. I don't really want to go building a slave flash (because I've never done one) but just use the on-board P41 flash. My question is essentially just how "invisible " is the flash after you cover the flash hole with the IR material? Will the crooks see it?

I'm really interested to hear from anybody who has had any success with IR cams in detecting illegal activity.

Thanks

Russell

all you can see on the ir flash is a small red light. if you are looking at setting up a security camera only, i would put it high in a tree, and im sure they would never notice it especially with some easy 3d camo. also, i would disable the shutter cover.

sambarseeker, no doubt the P41 has a great white flash. However, w/o a slave, I think you're going to have a rough time getting license plate numbers. You need to set it up closer to the target to be able to distinguish faces well enough for ID. Now then, the S600 would work well w/o a slave, but from I've been reading, it's a difficult IR mod.

Edited by Rambow

you can allways buy a IR s600 pre done from www.whitetailsupply.com

The s600 through the IR material can be seen pretty good if your looking at it.

Are these thefts day or night? if it was day I would use movie mode, or shut the flash off and hope you get the right shot

even with a p41 flash, you should be able to get a license plate. even with a little bit of light, the plate would light up b/c of the reflection. if you want to get their faces, they might see it. would you have enough information just from the license plate?

I think you're going to have a tough time getting license plates at night no matter what. First issue is, at least in the states, most plates have a reflective film on them.... which bounces the light and makes them appear washed out. Second being that you'll need to be real close to be able to actually read it on an IR cam as the focus we've been able to achieve isn't crystal clear, and without a slave the distance is limited to about 10' of good light with the P41 and 20-25' with a S600.

Others here have worked directly with these types of setups though and may be able to point you in the right direction.

Unless you know for sure they are only coming around at night, I would consider setting up a day only cam and use the highest resolution.

Edited by MIbucks

Thanks folks. I sort of thought that might be the case with the licence plates. Unfortunately most thefts are at night and if they even got the slightest hint of a flash they, along with the $400 cam would be gone. I guess I was looking for the "Silver bullet" to try to stop these morons. I'll continue to monitor the posts and see if I reckon it's worth the risk to go ahead with the build.

Russell

Edited by sambarseeker

I think the S600 Ir converted would be your best shot when it comes to extended range and descent clarity. Its gonna be pretty tough with a P41 setup since your distance is restricted unless you go with a slave setup., Unless you can get inside of 20 feet.

The 600 on a higher Iso will give you some grain, but should be enough illumination to make out a plate and with the extra pixels on a higher resolution you should be able to lighten it up and blow it up some to bring out the numbers providing you can get inside of 30-35 feet.

If I get some time tomoorow night I will try to take a few test shots and post them in a pitch black scenerio with a 41, and a 600 setup.

As for seeing the flash, I think you will be ok there provided you can hide the cam well enough, If there looking at it they could possibley catch it, or hear the flash pop, but with all esle thats going on and there caught up in the moment if its concealed well enoough and you can position it within range I think you will be ok.

Possibley some Ingenuity with placement in a flower pot or some sort of fixture common to the area that can be converted to conceal it and disguise it without drawing attention to it would work for you.

I'll see about posting them pics 2morrow for you...

Dan

I have tried this. My inlaws are building a house and have had some stuff taken. I put a IR P32 in a tree about 20 feet. I got pictures of the licence plate and it was like one big lite.

bvhunter

Yep I think the plate will reflect the light Maybe a video setup would work and you can buildone pretty reasonable and use a invisable array ?? Bet you could make out a license plate I am do to get my BG2 lanc back from Brian I will test it out and see

Yeah, I am doing the same thing right now. I am elevating the camera and putting the slave on the ground. that way if they see anything it will be from the slave and I will only lose 80 instead on 300