outdoorz

IR focus problem P41

14 posts in this topic

Hi all, been a while since I posted but I've been busy working on a food plot. Then recently I put my P41 cams out over the plot to see who's visiting.

We discussed this briefly last year and I got the gist of the IR focus thing. But it has not been solved and I still have blurry pics. So, another kick at the can.

I understand that the camera cannot "see" the object" that has tripped the PIR. There is no light. So, AF is essentially disabled. First question, can we not drill and lens a hole for the P-41 so the red focus light can get out and through the lens AF can occur? I know this would defeat the stealth of IR somewhat with a red light shining out, but it's better than a white flash?

Second question, everyone seemed to emphasize focal length via the menu setting as the answer. If it's set at 1m for example shouldn't an object at 1m be sharp? Is that how that works?

Thanks,

John

My IR P41 is set to the preferred settings, I get 15-20 feet with the flash but I don't concider them out of focus, can you post a pic from your cam?

i agree with Dmach8, just mine is a p32 ir no slave

Im no IR guy but do you have your camera focus set on infiniti?

Try it set on 0.5 m..if still no good you may have to use auto. It will be slower, but should focus. Some P41's just do not convert well...sorry.

One thing on one I did I didnt get the cover down tight where you change the glass and it was bad out of focus and when I noticed it wasn't down checked it and tighted and it was much better

Just a thought

As requested, here are two photos from my IR cameras; one at night, another at day. Both are set on .5m or whatever was recommended. Both deer are 10-12 feet away.

John

post-2300-1154141472_thumb.jpg

post-2300-1154141512_thumb.jpg

How about in a bright setting I belive alot of the focus issues with ir are caused by the low light They just wont focus good without enough light.

I also go with tree sight in that if you get one that focuses perfect you were lucky as sony calibrates the focus after the camera is assembled and when we remove the ir filter and replace it with glass we never get the factory focus back unless it was blind luck.

How about in a bright setting

The right hand photo above was taken in daylight hours but I had it pinned at 0.5m.

So what if we open up the AF light hole in the housing? The camera shines a red light on the subject to focus doesn't it? Right now the camera can't see it.

John

Did you crop these pictures at all? They almost seem zoomed in. If so can you post a non zoomed picture?

Thanks.

The AF illuminator is only going to help the focus to lock from 5'-10'. So it will not work well in a trail cam setup. Plus you would be using white light to focus infrared and this will not work either. Try it inside in a dark room and see if it helps. One thing to try is to try a second or third piece of glass. This is because glass has a thickness tolerance and this will effect the focus outcome. One last alternative is shim the ccd so the lens can focus, but this is risky, difficult to make, and time consuming to apply on a p41 and p32. The s40 is not so bad to try this trick on and can be done without replacing the filter with clear glass. The s600 is basically the same but is just not hacker friendly. Just my two cents. Hope this helps.

tree sight

Edited by tree sight

The photos are cropped, but they are actual resolution. So I just snipped a portion out at 100%. The image is not magnified or zoomed. That's how bad they are.

John

Have you tried placing your camera in auto. I run 1.5 to 2 seconds in auto on all of my sony IR cameras. I asked the question a long time ago who came up with the settings for the cameras and was told it was done this way to create the fastest speeds. After fighting with settings for months and messing with many diffferent glass types I finally just put the camera in auto and never looked back. The first time I set the unit out I figured I would miss tons of pictures. But after pulling full cards out out of these I quite worring about it.

Have you tried placing your camera in auto.

So you suggest full auto with no special settings? Just out of curiosity, how does that change the camera's ability to focus when there's still no light? I'll certainly try it and I appreciate the suggestion (made earlier in thread by another also) but I don't understand.

John