yetinme

Sony DSC-W5

12 posts in this topic

We don't thank you guys enough for all the hard work and time everyone puts into this hobby. Thanks Mark.

How is the flash, and what kind of trigger times are we talkin here?

Edited by Iowabucks

The speed appears to be about 1/4 to 1/2 second slower than a P41 and the flash is almost identical to the P41.

Mark

Man i like the w-5's but i dont think i will try that.

Do you make the mod?

For those interested, the modification documents are here:

http://www.yeticam.com/Manuals/Modificatio...ony%20DSCW5.pdf

The chips and boards are available on my website.

Enjoy,

Mark

Nice Job Mark! Looks small in there.

Hope you don't mind but I squeezed the PDF size from just over 5meg to only 700K with same image quality for those dial up users.

W5 & W7 Mod by Yetinme 700K

Travis

Edited by FznYupr

Hope you don't mind but I squeezed the PDF size from just over 5meg to only 700K with same image quality for those dial up users.

Great job, FznYupr. It's always nice to know us poor dial up people aren't forgotten. :P

Thanks Travis.

For future use, how did you do it?

Thanks Travis.

For future use, how did you do it?

I let the Software do the work it was quick and easy as I have Acrobat 6.0 Standard

Choose File > Reduce File Size

I must say I was surprised it compressed so small with such good quality.

Travis

Looks like I might be getting one of these cameras to mod. How difficult is it to chip some of the plastic housing away (ghoot's idea?) to solder w/o bridging? I got cheapo RS soldering iron that I'm hoping is good enough to do the job.

genhob,

I've done it with a W7 a long time ago and I'm guessing that the W5 is the same (I know the W1 isn't). It's not too bad if you are OK with soldering fairly small stuff. I use one of those knives that has the blades that you an break of when they get dull. Not sure what they're called, but the ones I use have the small blade in them...about 3/8" wide. 1st, mark where the trace is on the block, then firmly press the blade into the block on each side of the mark, then you should be able to stick the point in at the end of the two cuts and flick the piece out. Be careful not to pull the knife and let it slip off of the block, or you can cut the small traces on the board. Be careful also not to get it too hot when you solder.

I bought one of these for my wife a few years ago! B) Paid $275 for it. Can't believe they are going for the same price as a P41 on ebay.