Jethro

Calling Viv 2800 gurus!

37 posts in this topic

Okay, doing mods on my first 2800 today, got some ?

First, I have removed the B and C boards, and I was wondering if there was a resistor on one of them that would be correct for adding to the A board as described in the mod. I don't have a radio shack or anything anywhere around here, and don't want to pay shipping (who knows how much) for one resistor even if I could find it.

Second, would this resistor be okay for using with a 6v SLA, I know they are kind of hot, or should I just go with 4 C's or 4 D's? The SLA would be good for me if I could make it work since I use them for feeders and such also.

Thanks in advance for the input!

Jethro here is a color chart you can decode the ones on the board to see if you can find what you need

First, let me clarify, I am NOT an electronics person at all, BUT I did find a resistor calculator on Headnurses page. I played with colors, don't know if I did it right, but I found one that was 100K, that was the closest I could find. :wacko: . Don't know if that would work or not. Also don't know if you can get it backwards or anything when you are reading color codes. I also have some other electronic pieces, maybe something in one of them if it isn't fried. How would I tell if it was fried?

Hardly ever do they go bad. You can check it with an ohm meter though if you have one. I believe anything between 270k and 470k will do if that helps any.

PM me your address and I'll send you one.

Edited by 212

212 is sending me one, in the meantime I am working on my box and batteries, trying to get my case layout so I can order it. A case and peanut is all I need now, unless I decide to go ahead and do the IR conversion. IR will probably wait untill I know the cam is working correctly, don't want too many new things at once.

tree sight, mine are 1/4 watt, forgot which ones right now...the cheapest ones.

dkirk, these are for keeping the 2800 where you don't have to switch it off and on again to make it charge after sitting. Is that what you used the 1 meg for also?

Edited by 212

Yep, I tested a 1 Meg ohm versus the 470 K when doing my bench testing and the 1 Meg kept the unit awake where it would keep topping itself off when the capacitor voltage dropped down too far (if I did not remove the Neon Light). If I removed the Neon light the unit would always run the inverter.

Could not see any difference between the 470 K and the 1 Meg ohm, but did not test in the field where temperature might have an impact.

Don

It as been a good long while since I played with this, so if you get a chance, disconnect the batteries sometime between the time it stops charging and when the light goes out. Then connect it back after a few seconds and see if it starts charging right away again. That is what I was after at the time, so it can be toped off right as the camera turns on for a picture...sometimes with in 10 seconds of the last one.

I would like for there to be a wider range of resistors so people can find them easier...I'm about out lol.

Does anyone have a picture of a 2 board 2800 showing the solder locations on the 2800a board for the resistor to disable the auto off. I have only seen one for the three board and if not mistaken the 2 board is a little different. If I new anything of electricity I may be able to figure it out but I don't. You are able to operate the 2 and 3 board 2800 flashes the same aren't you? Help please?

tree sight

:D You can just put them on the back, but I use tape to hold the board in the enclosure and they stick out to much for me. Edited by 212

Thanks 212,

Did you ever notice how the reflector and bulb is an allmost perfect fit in the battery compartment aera on the 2000 and 2800 flashes? One can cut off this square from one half of the flash case and the slot the board sides in and have a frame to hold the segments of the flash in the project box. Just passing this on.

tree sight

tree sight-

That is what I did, I will post some pics of it when I am done, but yeah it fits in the battery compartment real well. Takes some dremel work but I liked the way it came out. The A board stays in the same place with the switch coming throught the case, capacitor stays in the same place, and the reflector goes in the battery compartment. And I thought I had an original brainstorm. :rolleyes:

What are the mod procedures for the 2 board viv 2800? Just opened one up and thats what I got. Never done one before, only 3 boards. All the necessary components for the flash seem to be attached to board A. Can I just cut all the wires leading to board B?

Thanks in advance! :)