Sign in to follow this  
flintlocker

Picture Posting Advise/recommendations

Posting pictures on Hags is more than just attaching a file and posting it on the discussion board. Size and dimensions of the picture are factors that affect those that are going to view it. If the dimensions of the picture are too big the person viewing it will need to use scroll bars to see the entire picture. If the file size is too big it can take a long time to download on to the viewers computer depending on the Internet connection they have.

In order to make pictures “viewer friendly” we need to consider both of these factors before posting a picture.

With the use of high resolution cameras, 2.0 & 3.2, the native picture generated is too big to be posted with out some changes. The picture needs to be cropped and/or resized using some type of photo editing software. I will give examples for Microsoft Photo Editor.

When I prepare a picture to post I do two things to it: 1) I crop out the main subject of the picture leaving extras space around the subject. 2) I resize the picture so it is somewhere between 300 –500 pixels wide. Sometimes the pixel width will fall in this range just by cropping the picture so there would be no need to resize.

With Microsoft Photo Editor, open a picture and use the “Select” tool to window the main subject in your picture. This will be the area of the picture you will crop out into a separate picture. Once you select the area to crop go under Image-Crop to cut out the windowed area. To see if the cropped picture needs resized select Image- Resize. Change the units in the Resize Dialog Box to “Pixels”. This will tell you what the current size of the picture is. Change the width to something between 300-500. Once you are comfortable with the dimensions of the picture save it. You now have a picture ready to post on Hags or any other discussion board that will be quick to view.

Take some time and play around with changing the picture dimensions and cropping so you get comfortable with them.

Feel free to post additional comments/suggestions/corrections.

Good post, Flint.

You don't have to have a fancy program to get a picture down to a usable size either. If you have MS Paint, you can also use its Edit features (Select All, Cut, Copy, Paste) to crop a picture and then follow up with the additional editing features (Stretch, Skew) to further reduce the picture if necessary.

MS Paint can't do any highlights or other fancy editing, but it is handy for reducing the size of pictures. This program also allows you to see at a glance what the pixel size is of a picture. Simply put your mouse pointer at the bottom right hand corner of the picture and you should see a set of numbers that appear as coordinates. (e.g. 636, 743) That is the pixel size of your picture.

Thanks Flint.

Welby

Just a little to add.... When you save the modified pic - select "save as" and give it a new name - otherwise it may overwrite your original hi-res pic.

Also After you have it sized for width and hight you may want to Compress it to a smaller file,like say from 1MB to somewhere in the KB range,A good place to do that is http://www.jpegwizard.com/ keeping pixel size down lets folks veiw it without having to scroll back and forth, but you also need to make it a smaller file so it is faster to download for those with dial up and Jgegwizard will do that for you for free.

When opening the link above,scroll down to the box that has Browse next to it and click browse,point and click until you have the pic to shrink,then click submit,it will take a few seconds but it will show your original pic at the top,along with a Thumbnail,and 3 other choices and thier download speed,pic one,right click it,save as,name it and click ok,now you have pic that is much faster for everyone to Download and veiw.

Edited by Passthru

No offense guys, but that is really hard for me to understand.

Of course I ain't got no brain, and I only recently discovered how to edit.

E-bay resizes pictures auto-like, any way to get that feature on here?

I haven't seen a good hack to automatically resize photos within IBP.

They have one, but I've read a bunch of complaints about it and don't feel it's worth it. I'll gladly resize any photos that are causing havoc, just let me know if you come across any.

Great post by the way....very good information by all.

hags

Thank you for your support of Pegasus Imaging’s products and technology.

The JPEG Wizard™ service has been temporarily halted.

The JPEG Wizard service was being badly abused and otherwise hurting our overall throughput bandwidth. We will be bringing it back up soon with some measures in place to avoid abuse. In the meantime, we strongly suggest that you download, test and hopefully purchase The JPEG Wizard standalone application described in detail at:

www.pegasusimaging.com/jpegwizard.htm

We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused,

Pegasus Sales Team

sales@jpg.com

I have been using XnViewer for a good while now. It is easy to use and seems to do a nice job. It is also freeware which is even better.

You cand download it here XnView

I use PixResizer. VERY simple to use, and its free. You can re-size one photo at a time or do a batch. Its the easiest to use that I have found.

dogshooter

If you go here, http://jdmcox.com and scroll down there's a place to download software and reduce digital pics and it's free. I use ACDsee. You can do a lot of editing. And,,,,,,, you can download a trial version of the software for a few weeks to see if you like it..

Something more to add to these suggestions.. when you post a picture or multiple pictures make sure they are below the text if you use the "add into text" button. I see a lot of post where an individual has text to the left side of a picture or have pictures beside one another. When you are adding mulitple pictures add the first, press enter then add the next picture. This will place the second, third or following pictures under the first or previous picture instead of them being side by side. Side by side makes the post and the following post added in a topic very wide. This will get rid of that. Allways have the link for each picture on a line by itself.

edit: one other thing, if you do happen to post several pictures side by side and you want to fix the post, just do an "edit" on your post. Click behind the first picture, then press enter etc. This will correct it. Same way with the text before a picture, edit, place cursor behind the text, press enter. After you do this, simply press the "Submit Modified Post" button below. Thanks, bat

Edited by bat

Don't forget to add the camera details when posting pictures. That is the first thing people ask if you don't!