SouthernStyle

Looking for recommendations for 7mm-08 rifle

I'm interested in buying a new 7mm-08 bolt action. Just want a light rifle to add to the collection. Main use would be whitetail and hog hunting.

For those of you with experience/opinions on 7mm-08 rifles I'd be interested in your recommendations for brand/model (bolt action only). I want a synthetic stock.

I think the accu trigger savages are prettry hot right now.

Otto

The remington 700 series have been around forever. They are the choice of almost every FBI, Military, and Police Sniper unit. It's what I use at work and in the field. (hence the name CYbersniper :D ) Most rifles made today are nice.

If you are looking for a over the counter rifle I have had that one in a Ruger compact, a weatherby ultra light, and a remington model 7, all shot well But the only one I have today is a Model 7 Remington.

Now if you want a super one Call Bills Gun Shop, and ask for Bill, He is in Utica MS, the only reason I say this is you live here. He makes a skelitonized action on a High tec stock, barrel of your choice, trigger job all the goodies for around $1300.

Now my choice for a light weight HOG and DEER rifle is the GA Precision Non- Typical in a 300 WSM remington action. you can see them hereGA Precision.This is the best shooting rifle I own 1/2 moa with factory ammo. :rolleyes:

Why no consideration for the 25-06? If I wanted an all purpose caliber it would be my pick as it is the flattest shooting varmint big bore available but when loaded a bit heavier it has plenty for deer,sheep and hogs.

Just a thought......

I think the 7mm-08 is a better choice for my needs. I don't do any varmit hunting and for deer/hog hunting a typical shot would be less than 100 yds and rarely more than 200 (mostly woods hunting for me). The 7mm-08 is plenty flat enough for that range. I'm not a reloader so readily available off the shelf ammo is a requirement. At just a quick glance, the 25-06 Federal ammo is only available up to 117 gr. Only .5" difference in bullet drop at 300 yds (sighted in at 100yds) between a 7mm-08 140 gr. and a 117 gr 25-06. I'm sure the 25-06 is a nice round but I think 7mm-08 would be a better choice for me. I know quite a few folks that love the 7mm-08 round for whitetail and have been very pleased with caliber. I've got a couple of 30-06s that I've always used for whitetail/hog... just need to add another gun to the collection.

Why no consideration for the 25-06? If I wanted an all purpose caliber it would be my pick as it is the flattest shooting varmint big bore available but when loaded a bit heavier it has plenty for deer,sheep and hogs.

Just a thought......

Just personal openion but if I were looking for a versital light weight rifle for whitetail at around 100 yards I'd seriously consider a Remington Model Seven chambered for 308. You can get the ammo almost anywhere and the recoil is very managable. I got one for my son 7 years ago and Ben Pearson got one for his daughter when she was 12 or 13. Dianna is a fairly small petite young lady but can shoot it repetitavely with no problems. The velocity is nice too. Gets good expansion with cheap ammo like Remington Coreloks but doesn't make them explode like an '06 does. Best all around whitetail rifle I've used in my openion.

I've had a Remington Model Seven for years now, and it is IMO the best little rifle made. I do ALOT of still hunting/stalking and to carry this rifle around all day is a breeze.

I would stick to 30 cal or close, seen many .243 and .25-06 shots that didn't leave much of a trail. A larger caliber can make a bad shot good enough to recover or track for a second shot. I wouldn't trade my model 700 30-06 for anything as far as deer hunting is concerned. I have taken several deer over 200 yards. Over the years I have taken deer with many different calibers, and 30 cal is the way to go!

HH, never blew a deer up with 06' yet. Then again I'm hunting Wisconsin deer, and I only use 150 gr for deer, anything bigger is overkill. Does mess up a coyote pretty bad though, of course up here they are about the size of arkansas deer too! :D

CoyoteBandit I wasn't talking about blowing the deer up, just having the slug blow up lacing all the meat all around with lead. I think I had this happen almost every time with Corelokes.

I've had a little of everything, but always go back to the Ruger Mark II. You can get them in synthetic stocks too.

I have heard some good things about the Savage accu-trigger as well.

My nephew has a pre accu-trigger and we hate it, not the trigger, the gun in general.