ghoot

Super Duper Easy Samsung A402 IR Mod

8 posts in this topic

1st, If this has already been done by someone else, please post it here. Someone had told me in the past that the A402 could be done with no glass, but I'm not sure if this is how they did it. Anyway, I started playing with IR on the Samsungs and have done 2 this way and they work great.

After you crack it open, remove the 2 screws holding the image sensor and flip the latch up on the socket and unplug the ribbon cable and remove the image sensor. (A little off topic, but I also have an arrow pointing to a little strip of foam I put in. I've had to do this on the Samsungs to eliminate flash bleed inside of the cam).

post-34-1157557774_thumb.jpg

Here's the simple trick to get it to focus good without glass. Simply lift the macro focus ring out, and leave it out, that's it!

post-34-1157557796_thumb.jpg

Getting the IR filter glass out wasn't as simple for me as what I've read about. I removed the tape (the arrow in the upper left is pointing at it), but the glass was in there really good...maybe glued. To get it out, you have to unscrew the little spanner nut that the glass is mounted in (lower arrow in left pic, kinda hard to see the groove). Just use the tip of a screw driver in the grove to get it turning. Once you get it out, be very careful because there are a couple of little lenses under it that can fall out. Flip the filter over and push it out with the tip of your screw driver (where the arrow is ponting on the right pic). When you screw the spanner nut back in, be very careful not to slip off of it with your tool and scratch the lens under it. Put it all back together and you're ready to go.

post-34-1157557809_thumb.jpg

Before and after pic.

post-34-1157557826_thumb.jpg

15 feet no slave (I "enhanced" the pic for the most brightness)

post-34-1157557841_thumb.jpg

Edited by ghoot

ghood work mr ghoot :)

refresh my memory,

whats the trigger time on the A402 ?

this is great.. thanks a million.. i have a couple of a402s and one was modded by another member who used to sell them..i will try this one myself when i get the time..i love the pics they take.

thanks for your work on these things

teebo

Do a search using the words ( focus of the ir samsung ) . This will find two post on this subject with two other techniques on the focus.

tree sight

tree sight,

Your pictures look awesome! I'm going to have to go back and try it with a shim. Very nice. :)

Yes easy is the way we like it. :P Now we need an easy S40 IR mod. I've been playing with one tonight and it ain't no fun. Finally got the focus looking good, and then noticed that the lights in the shop have a "foggy" look to them. Guess I got my sweaty fingers in the wrong spot. :unsure:

Edited by ghoot

Not an easy mod but here is a picture from a modified s40 with a slave flash added and up close to give you all an idea of what the s40 is capable of with ir in the dark. I do like the s40 for ir. This photo has had editing done to it also.

tree sight