Welby

Forum Etiquette

What is acceptable here as far as humor, joking, and picking?

Some of us like to pick on each other quite a bit, but others get annoyed with it quite quickly. I have to agree that some of it has been quite overdone in the past, so I too believe there should be limits.

What is your opinion? At what point does it get on your nerves? Do you enjoy participating in kidding around?

I don't believe in hijacking threads to carry on with a joke, but I do believe a well placed (and timed) quip can make all the difference in getting a laugh.

Also, jokes get old. The same old theme or object of humor repeated over and over and over does get old to me too.

Just want to go ahead and find out what's acceptable for horsin' around.

The more BS'ing the better for me. And if you dont like the cheesehead jokes, BITE ME. :o

Welby glad you asked. I personally don't mind a few good jokes so long as it isn't a personal hateful attack. Kiddin around is what makes it fun. Here at work sometimes you need a pretty thick skin not to get scratched and such but I am not so good at saying things on the net as others. I've seen your humor and don't have any problem with it. Take care. MC.

Good topic Welby,

I guess for now we have to let it go and see how members react, it started here from day one and I do a bit of it myself to try and keep the subjects light and not all serious.

My personal way to approach this is if you "rib" someone and they don't say anything it's probably best to make a mental note that they may not care for that and basically leave them alone. If the guys gives you one back then he probably knows it's in fun and it's OK now and then to send a spear over.....

It's also a good idea to watch how others post and see if they give and take "shots" before you send one.....

I would like to keep the post hijacking to a minimum.

Just because a guy partakes in banter doesn't mean he hasn't a serious side too......if someone is constantly badgered they will stop posting.......let them come up for air once in awhile.

This being said, I personally would like to keep the "babe" photos out of the forums....even if they are fully covered with the tight t-shirt or bikinis......couple reasons why.....

A.) My wife does look at the forum and this would just fuel her argument that if it's not the primary thing on a man's mind it's secondary.....which may be true, but I want to show her were more sophisticated.

B.) There are a thousand, maybe a hundred thousand, sites to look at that stuff if your heart desires....I don't really care to be another....

C.) If you allow some.....it's really hard to draw a line as to when it goes over the top.....When does the t-shirt get too tight, or too wet, or......you know what I mean.

Maybe in the technical forums we should be somewhat civil, since this is were new members will head when looking for an answer only to find the post was hijacked....in the campfire and chat the ribbing can go on as usual.

My $0.02.....hags

None of the forums will let my post my collection of 'babe' pictures.

Todd, maybe we should be calling you "Flyntlocker" instead. LOL

By the way, check with Ree...he seems to like those kind of "babes"

Hags,

I'm glad to see your stand on the issue. Maybe we can explore some other forum etiquette issues as well so we can all have clear guidelines.

Thanks!

Be some good topics Welby,

My mother's basic etiquette rule was:

"Pretend your mother is standing next to you and your father behind you whenever you open your mouth or act up".........

My mom is a 4 foot something irish woman that would take you out at the knees if you swore and my dad was a 6'4" x-marine cook who would take your head off if you messed up....I always said I wasn't afraid of the cops, but my parents were a different story.....love em' dearly too.

It actually works pretty good....

hags

SS, if you need to ask you need more help then I can provide......

hags

Great topic. I like the way things have been going here and feel comfortable here. If I ever have, or ever do say something that sounds offensive to you, it's just like I tell my wife..."I meant it the opposite of the way you heard it". :D

I agree with Hags on the babes...especially now that I'm married, but if you post 'em, I can't help but look at 'em. ;)

I don't have a problem with joking around and having a good time. I try to be careful when I make a wisecrack because sometimes humor doesn't transfer over the internet. A person can take things the wrong way when they are not standing right beside you to see your facial expressions or body language. I've been on both ends of misunderstandings. Besides, if there wasn't any joking or wisecracking going on I would think you all were a bunch of old farts and computer geeks.

What about profanity? How do you all feel about that? The forum software may not even allow it, but as for me, I don't like it.

Every once in awhile, though, if someone's being quoted or it's part of a humorous remark, I don't mind that so much. But just all the time, *&%$ this and *#$% that, I don't care for that.

How 'bout chu?

If you use the %&$#@ thing for profanity I'm alright with that, but I don't really care for reading the words in text......I usually get the jest of the comment without the added adjectives. I think the profanity filters are also on for the forum, so hopefully most words won't even appear.

Never tested it, maybe I'll have to get them S. Miss boys to try it out.......

Most of the time profanity doesn't work well unless you can see the facial expressions or body language...even then the standup comedian better be in the right crowd....

hags

Hey hags, just a suggestion...maybe you should pin this one to the top. This could be a very good ongoing reference.

Just my $.02.