Sign in to follow this  
41 Mag

Grandson's First Hunt...(Long)

Wel this year has been upside down for us, several issues along the way from health to deaths in the family. Through it all we have carried on with the help of family and friends. One person in particular who kept things in focus was our 4 fixing to be 5 year old grandson.

Through it all, he has been both a comfort and a pleasure to be around when we could get the time to head up to see him. His hunting trip started right after the first of the year, the weekend after our house had been broken into. He called me and told me that me and him needed to head over to a friend of mine's place and shoot us a big boar hog. Well I really wasn't into it at the time but the following weekend we headed up and went over just to get out and enjoy the pretty weekend. At this same time period, I was not getting around to well with two herniated disk in my lower back. So to think I was going to do a whole lot was really asking a lot. We fiddled around with my firends new rifle watching him shoot and calling shots, then he had to head south so we went for a short ride on the 4 wheeler. Didn't figure on seeing anything but figured it would pasify the grandson. Well first rattle out of the box we jumped about 40 head of sows, and before I could manage the short .308 up from the rest, they were gone. Low and behold though, up rose 4 boars to our immediat left. One of which I dropped on the spot. Well the trip was a sucess and the boy was happy.

P1210031A.jpg

Skip forward till a month ago,

All along the boy has been on me about wanting to shoot himself a boar hog. So being the grandpa that I am, I started figureing what I could work up for him to possibly accomplish this. I had already purchased him a Sako .243 a couple years ago, and had it sitting in the safe for when the time was right. Well I scoped it up with a Weaver LER scope and on a trip down here, found that he was simply way to small framed to work with that. But this gave me a plan. I told him that if he wanted to shoot his own hog, he would have to do exercises every day till hunting season so he could hold up his own rifle. (Never figured that would stick). Well he held up his end and I got weekly reports on his progress. Push ups and sit ups, were the routine.

Well I have a Ruger compact in .308 that only weighs 6.5# the way I have it fitted. So I dropped some reduced loads in it and re-zeroed it for him. One weekend about a month ago we got together and he fired off his first round from a big gun. To say it was an eye opener, would be an understatement. But he is determined. He also shot an old M1 Carbine that day and did very well with it. In fact I was going to let him shoot with it. However, two weeks ago we were shooting again. HE shot the M1 about 6-8 times then looks up and say's, " Pawpa, I think I am ready for that big gun now". So I pulled it out and he proceeded to put 8 shots down on the target with two of them inside the 2" bull at 50 yds.

P1010038.jpg

P1010040.jpg

P1010041.jpg

So this past weekend was the opening of deer season and I figured that since I already had put up a stand and feeder to accomodat him in case he came through on his end, I went ahead and took him out. We sat and listened to a barrage of shotguns for almost two stright hours that morning. THe ducks were not doing so well in that area. We saw only one skiddish young doe, but it was enough to satisfy the kid. WE headedin for breakfast and a little trigger time before the evening hunt. When we returned we fond a nice 8 point buck laying under our feeder looking like he was waiting for lunch. He rose up and simply walked away, as if to say, well I guess it's your turn now. LOL The grandson was thrilled, he got to see a nice buck up close.

The stand was set up only 50 yds from the feeder and I figured that with the corn on the ground we had a great chance at a hog, possibly several. As dar fell it wasn't long till things got rocking in the brush. We had hog of all sizs all around, but noe came in. Then just as the light was slipping away, we had a decent 100 - 150# boar come in for a bite. He had swung by early and made the grandson, so was pretty skiddish. The corn however was to big of a temtation to stay out of. With the camera rolling I got him in my lap, got his/my rifle up, and he got set. I slipped the safety off for him as he told me he was ready. When the hog turned broadside, he fired one shot and all was done. HE was a happy little feller. Here is a pic of his boar, and the link below has the clip of the shot.

P1010005A.jpg

First Hog Clip

All I can say is that the phone rings here about twice a day so far this week wanting to know when we can go back. I feel sorry for those hogs, he really has it in for them now. LOL

That is soooo sweet. I love seeing the young ones get into it. :D

Thats a great story and photos thanks for sharing them with us. Taking kids and spending quality time with them like that I think will go a long way to developing a great adult There are just so many ways for children to go in a wrong direction I believe the outdoors teaches them lifes lessons. Pawpa is #1 in his mind right now also I bet

Thanks for sharing your story. Your grandson reminds me of my 5 yr old. They look so much alike with the red hair.

But, my son is all in to hunting but i thought maybe he was alittle to young to start him in. But, reading your story makes me think again. Its sure amazing what them little guys can do when their heart is set to it.

Thanks for sharing your story. Your grandson reminds me of my 5 yr old. They look so much alike with the red hair.

But, my son is all in to hunting but i thought maybe he was alittle to young to start him in. But, reading your story makes me think again. Its sure amazing what them little guys can do when their heart is set to it.

Thanks for the replys, he is definatly hooked. We spent Saturday in the woods again, and this time had a young 8 point come up to within about 10" of the stand before deciding that something was up. He never really made us just got that "something ain't right with that tree" impression and backed out the way he came. The grandson was all eye's and was pressing me hard to let him shoot it. Had we been on our place I would have but on my firends place we let them go till they are at least 4 - 5. We also had some awesome deer out where we sat on the evening hunt, and he got to see his first 10 point in the wild. Same story great bucks but just a year or so too young. We did end up with me dropping a decent boar hog for the owners at around 300yds so he was happy the weekend wasn't a total gimme.

Rabbit,

The .308 loads we are using, are straight from the Hodgdon website under youth loads. They also have some for other calibers as well. I have chronoed them against the Remington reduced loads and they are right there with them. I am using 125gr Nosler BT's. I figured they would give us a little more expansion with the short barrel we have. When we started this I only allowed him to shoot a couple of shots then went on to something else. This didn't get him to flinching or scare him from the recoil. It still rocks him pretty good, but it doesn't seem to bother him anymore. He shot less than a 2" group yesterday at 100 yds for the first time, from the bench. My bud said he had a overgrown spike buck he wanted taken out and figured the boy would be the best one to get him. Just get them some good ear muffs, and make it fun, they might surprise you as to what they can do.

We'll see sometime next week.

Great story 41 and congratulations to your grandson. That is a memory he will always cherish.

And I know that grandpa was beaming :)