thehunter

Sony S600

33 posts in this topic

What is the Shutter speed on the Sony? How does it compair with the P32 or P41??

Edited by thehunter

It is definitely going to be slower, especially at night..

How does it work as a Trail Cam. Rate it from 1- to - 10 with 10 as the highest.

Asked the same question myself a day or so ago: about 2 secs day, 4 secs nite. Possibly a little slower if you go IR.

Stronger flash than either a 32 or 41. It's a 6mp cam, so maxed out it would likely give you better photos.

Edit: almost forgot...s600 is much harder to hack than the other two.

Edited by Roscoe

I use a wide angle lens on mine and it works ok for a trail cam. My night pics are under 3 seoinds, which is fine for close pictures on trails.

My only problem is that I forgot to leave the lens cover open when I hacked mine and not sure if I even want to open the thing up again to cut the black wire :D these are not easy to hack.

Here's a bobcat picture on a trail up close, but heard the lens open. The lens going out isn't too bad.

I do like the picture quality if it would stop raining.

I guess I will find out how hard it is to hack. Just purchase one. NIB /$120 +tax. Of course I needed another camera. I just could not pass up the price.

When I get rdy to do my s600, there's a good chance I'll be mailing it to ^^^^^^^^ :)

I use a wide angle lens on mine and it works ok for a trail cam. My night pics are under 3 seoinds

Cliff unless you have one with differnt firmware, the minimum time at night from sensor triggering to a picture being fired is pretty much hard coded and can not be changed by a board. Its been a while since I messed with one but if I remember right it was 3.78 seconds minimum at night

I haven't set mine up yet for over 10 feet distance from the trail, but seems to be under 3 seconds and more like 2.5 for all the testing I've done.

Is the code for focusing or charging the flash? I do know that in the timber most of my cameras use the flash during the day because of the low light.

I'm sure I would have noticed if the time was over 3 seconds. I do my tests at night set in the yard with a background at 10 feet. I leave a small area on the back of the cam not painted so I can see the green light on the camera, I then trigger the sensor and start my timing from the time the green light goes on till the flash. It has stayed steady from 2.5 to 3 seconds, but always under 3 seconds.

I will check the cam today, it's set at 10 feet for bobcats and has a great background to reflect the flash. I set it so the animal has to climb up onto a log, which will slow it down, so not sure if it is a good test for timing, but think I have the SSS board set on double pic mode.

I use the settings on auto and the SSS board set on one second, will do some more checking on this.

cliff

Make sure it is DARK Cliff. Thats where the time starts dragging out. This was tested with a micro that was triggered with light that started the camera and a stop watch at the same time and the camera flash stopped the stopwatch.

EDIT: BTW Cliff, if you are using a wide angle you may likely be picking up movement earlier than you may think.

Edited by Hill Hopper

Butch, is this 3.78 second time using the focus circuit (half press shutter) or a three wire hack where you bypass the focus circuit? Seems long to me if you are just tripping the shutter without any focusing being done. I would think that night pics would only be longer because of the pre flash and that is not adding that must to the time. I thought the three wire hack eliminated the half press of the shutter button (time the camera is trying to lock the focus) and is faster then a four wire where the half press focus is used? How often would a s600 need to be refreshed to get the fastest times and what is being used or recommended for refresh.

tree sight

It didn't matter. I tried it both ways and the time I got was the minimum both ways. I also tried every setting in the imagination. This was back when the S600 first came out and there is no guarantee there has not been a firmware revision. This was also in the dark. There appeared to be an algorithum the camera went thru when it was dark before it would go to a default and shutter a picture. The stopwatch was turned off by the first camera flash and ignored any second so it should have been accurate to within 1/100th second or as accurate as the stopwatch.

Also, I have not heard anyone else saying they are getting faster times.. The Development Team tested this camera thoroughly and the results were always the same...