Sign in to follow this  
Coondog

Tower Blind Material

I am thinking about making a couple of more tower blinds for next season. I am needing to make them pretty large (4x6) since my 4yr. old is going with me every weekend now. I made one a few years ago out of 2"square tubing and plywood and it is really nice! The problem is that is REALLY heavy as you can imagine. I found some blinds in a magazine that look really nice and are exactly what I am looking for. They are stating that the blinds are 4x6, made out of 1" and 2" square tubing, 10feet tall and can erected and taken down by one person, preferrably two!!! I cant even imagine that with how much mine weighs. I am assuming it is all in the material that they use for the enclosure. It sure as hell is not plywood!!! lol..

Any ideas on what they might be using or what might be available as an alternative to plywood. Of course, I am going to have to be fairly price concious, so there might not be an alternative. I would like something I can purchase myself and cut to fit, or have it cut for me and just buy the seperate pieces. I have tried to contact the company for some questions but cannot reach them...

Any ideas...

Do you know any local fiberglass workers?

You could have them whip you up some glass panels and rivet them to your frame.

It's thinner, but not sure how much weight you would save.

Easy to cut doors and windows in, paintable, and lasts forever.

I can check to see what a 4X6 flat panel would cost and weigh since we deal with a lot of fibergalss here.

Bruce.. I remember that post now. Thanks a ton for the offer. I have never worked with it before, actually never even heard of it. The price is definitely right. How easy is it to work with. Do you just soak it with a hose and stretch it around??? How sturdy is it????

antlrcolectr.. I would be interested to know what that would cost. I have thought about fiberglass before, but was not sure how to buy that much at one time. It might not save me much weight, but might be easier to work with...

It is very easy to use, you wet it first before installing screws, then pull it tight(takes two people) and put screws in. After it drys it will be fiddle string tight, and will never rot. It is mostly nylon material about 1/8 to 3/16 thick.

Bruce.. So you dont cut out the windows and doors until it dries correct?? Is is easy to work with after it dries as far as the door and windows are concerned?? BTW, do you have any plans for that stand you built???

I might just take you up on this offer.. Ashdown is only 3hrs and 200miles from here(same distance to Austin and I go there all the time). I think it would be MUCH cheaper to take you up on this offer and get a better material for building than using plywood or even OSB boards...

Edited by Coondog

So what happens to the felt after a rain does it soften up again? What about uv from the sun? And one more question what is its normal use? Sounds like neat stuff, I am like Coondog never heard of it before.

MRH

I cut out windows and doors as i go. When it is dry or wet you can cut it with a stanley box cutter knife. When it gets wet it does loosen up a little but does not hurt anything. After it drys it is back to fiddle string tight. this product is used in the paper mill to make paper out of pulp. It is about 30 to 40 foot wide and maybe 100 foot long to start with. New cost about $80,000, so it is good stuff. :P

coondog, I use corrugated plastic sheeting for my box stands.I buy the 4' X 8' X 10mm sheets from a local company. they are pricey at about $22.00/sheet, fut they are extremely lightweight. If I'm not mistaken, the company that manufactures it is in Dallas. Here is a link to what it looks like, basically thick sign material. Also, a pic of one of my stands with the brown material on it.

http://www.denversignsupply.com/product.cfm?parprodref=1857

Interesting stuff Rambow.. I will have to check that out. Not cheap though.. Although I priced plywood the other night at $20/sheet for 3/4"!!!!!!

I've done a couple using roofing tin. If you can find someone tearing down an old building you can usually get it cheap although it may be pretty heavy gauge. I put 1/2 inch styrofoam insulation inside to "soundproof" the stand. Some discount building supply places have very light gauge "tin" pretty cheaply also.

We have the roofing tin on the tops and the felt around them. The felt is quiet and easy to work with and as 9toes said it is good material, it is good on the bottom of the windows as it very quiet. :P

Rambow that corrugated plastic sheeting sounds good for a very light stand. :D

Paper mill felt it is free! :D

http://hagshouse.ipbhost.com/forums/index....showtopic=18937

If you ever come north to Arkansas i can get you some. I live just north of Texarkana.

Who would you talk to at a paper mill to get some of this. I ask because my mother in law lives right next to one and the next time I go visit I would like to try and get some.

Rambow I was looking at that site you posted a link to.... they also have a 3mm sheet that is much cheaper, is it too thin to use? It is just under $10 a sheet.

"Who would you talk to at a paper mill to get some of this. I ask because my mother in law lives right next to one and the next time I go visit I would like to try and get some".

Someone that works on the Paper Machine.

Edited by 9toes