willraygreen

Samsung A503 Modification Instructions

19 posts in this topic

Attached is the first revision Don and I put together for your review. I am sure there will be some questions, but we were getting too many questions not to put something down on paper.

Please realize that there is not a commercially available controller board (yet) which is programmed for this camera. In addition, it is likely that an Optical Isolation board may be required to use this camera with a commercially available controller board. Hopefully, this might create enough interest that some options develope down the road.

Any feedback or suggestions on the instructions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill and Don

Samsung_A503_Mod.pdf

Bill very nice and detailed make it look easy :) I just downloaded it and I am off to get the capacitor out Let you know how it goes Thanks Dave

You guys did an excellent job on that, thank you very much for sharing.

I hope to have a white flash with slave done tonight I did the mod and with Bills PDF I managed to the the flash cap swapped out Running it with my Bigfoot board with the optical isolation working perfectly seems right at a 2 sec camera for sure with no refresh :) Thanks again for the R&D both Bill and Don

TT

Looking good :) What appeals to me is not needing a refresh, that means the battery life will depend solely on the number of pictures taken...and of course the self-discharge of the batteries used. With lithiums in the camera, this thing could sit there ready for months.

You are correct. The camera does draw a little current when off, but for the most part we should expect excellent camera battery life since we have eliminated camera refresh.

Good job Treetop, and keep feeding us the results of your work as we need as much input as possible to make sure everything is working ok.

Don & Bill

Great work! I have a ton of pictures but work is in my way from publishing and the writeup. I will have my board ready to go on Saturday and I have the opto on my board already.

Mark

"it is likely that an Optical Isolation board may be required to use this camera with a commercially available controller board"

OK, Ill ask 1st this time...what is an optical isolation board :blink: and what does it do?

Thanks for all the hard work

Mark

Great work guys, I thought I would never say this but MY D-380 days might be coming to an end. As soon as finish these next 3 cameras the 4th will be the A502. People like you guys is what keeps this hobby interesting and going.

Anthony

Hello MJM (Mark),

Optical isolation is a method of interfacing to another device using light as the method of control in place of an actual hard wire connection. This allows two systems to be electrically isolated from each other but still be able to communicate with each other through the use of light.

Under certain circumstances optical isolation is very desirable and a safe way to connect two systems together that might otherwise be electrically non compatible.

What we are talking about in this situation is that the camera control board would send a voltage to a small integrated circuit that has a small LED internally that turns on a transistor that is also internal in the integrated circuit. The transistor is electrically connected to the camera but its only means of connection back to the control board electronics (like the microcomputer on the control board) is via the light beam from the LED.

Sounds like the board from Yetinme already has the optical isolation integrated circuit on the control board, but some control boards do not have the optical isolation integrated circuit, so a small circuit board with the optical isolation integrated circuit must be added between the control board and the camera.

Hope this helps, and sorry for being so long winded (but this is normal for me).

Don

Edited by dkirk

Thanks for the explanation Don...I understood just enough to lead me to another question...does the need for optical isolation slow things down any??

One more thing I've been forgetting to ask...I think when you guys started posting early R&D results it was touted as a future IR cam...will it also be a practical white flash cam?? How is the flash without the IR or slave?

Thanks

Mark