Sign in to follow this  
NWHUNTER

Beaver

Beavers are doing a lot of damage on our property. The water in the creek is running about 12-18" deep right now, probably not deep enough for the typical trap.

They are now traveling about 100 yards to chew up newly planted apple trees :angry:

I want them gone!

But how do you capture them (dead or alive) on land.

no dams nearby but tons of slides and holes in the creek banks getting a lot of use.

Advice appreciated.

:D It appears to be a target rich environment but I am really looking for something that doesn't involve me sitting in a tree in the middle of the night.

I have had cameras on them and watched their activity... come to find out its not the same as mine. :)

Its also a drive to the property so I am looking for something I can check every 2 or 3 days.

Below is target #1

:D It appears to be a target rich environment but I am really looking for something that doesn't involve me sitting in a tree in the middle of the night.

I have had cameras on them and watched their activity... come to find out its not the same as mine. :)

Its also a drive to the property so I am looking for something I can check every 2 or 3 days.

Below is target #1

post-222-1171762148_thumb.jpg

post-222-1171762201_thumb.jpg

Wrap some poultry netting around the base of the trees you want to protect to minimize the damage and get some conibear traps to take care of the beavers. These are a body gripping trap that will kill the beaver in minutes if it is caught by the neck or chest. Those traps work very well as long as you have them set so they are solid (not wobbly at all). Try setting them at the base of the slides about half or two thirds under water.

Watch so you don't get your fingers in the way when you are setting them. If it springs, it will hurt ... bad.

We've been fighting the same battle for years. The only way we've been able to slow them down is to have a friend come in and trap them. I know vary little about trapping. The conibear traps that Coteau talked about is what our friend uses. Over the last 5 years we've had to have him come up every spring to trap them. I'd guess he's trapped at least 20 in that 5 year period. They do make a mess of things. I wish we had the money for all the trees we've lost as a result of the flooding they've caused. I've never been able to catch them with a camera like you did.

Good luck with your fight. Let me know if you come up with a live trap.

O4D

Thanks guys,

Will give that a try, looks like several on ebay available, not sure how legal it is in our area but I'll be checking into that (once I have a few pelts to show them). :)

State won't allow us to cut trees along the creek but I don't care to watch the beavs just drop them either.

Thanks again.

There are many laws about trapping. You might want to check this link before you get started.

Around here beavers can be taken year round because they are considered a nuisance but it might be different where you are.

Also there are probably a few trapping equipment supply companies in the area that would be a source for traps not to mention expert tips and advice.

Conibear 330. 12 to 18" will be plenty. Build a little picket fence funnel with the sharp pointed sticks they leave lying around and they will swin right through the trap. Be sure to tie it down and buy the settinf sticks or build your own. THey are worth it.