Sign in to follow this  
Hill Hopper

Considering New Scope

Trying to decide between Leupold, Burris or Nikon. I'm leaning towards Nikon at the moment. Looking for openions.

I like my tasco's,cant really afford them high dollar scopes but my tasco's have never failed me under any circumstance's.And trust me I use to be very ruff on equipment.

Butch, i know you will not believe this but look at a Swift scope. I went looking last year for one to put on my new a-bolt and the gun shop owner told me to look through the Swift. He had a mount thing made so you could put two scopes on at a time and compare them. He put on $800 scopes that where not near as clear as the swift. Their warranty is for life. You take it back to a dealer and they will replace it free of charge, no waiting. Mine was a 4x12x50.

http://www.eabco.com/Swift01.htm

Bruce hows the eye relief. Commando I've used Tascos before too with good results. However, I'm looking for something with a little better eye relief at higher magnification. I had a Simmons on my 30-06 and was always concerned about the short distance at high mag. It died last season after I killed a doe at 200 yards.

Butch i think it is 3 inches. Not real important on my 243 wssm though. But i do really like it for the money.

Hard to go wrong with a Leupold, I own 3 of them.

I now use Leupold on my rifles, and burris on my encore/contender pistol barrels. I do have a tasco on my 22-250, and it has done well. On a hunting rifle though, I prefer a scope with a little better reputation for holding up under punishment. A couple of years ago, Leupold introduces a new series, VX II I think. Pretty good deal, but only available in certain setups. I too was concerned with eye relief after my encore muzzleloader/ Simmons combo cut my brow. I think the Leupolds have some of the longest eye relief available.

HH Leupold has always had lots of supporters it is a fine choice. Having said that and after owning a Burris I find the Burris just as good. At least the 4-14 Balistic Plex I have on my 223. I own some good stuff but your paying a premium for the Leupold name IMO. I do like their new range finders though and am trying to convince myself I must have one.

Simmons has there new style scopes advertised, can't remember what they're called but they are supposed to have a very forgiving eye relief. I have tried twice to order their 4-14 from 2 different places, no one seems ever to have one in stock, I can't even find out when they might receive one.....

Edited by mbowerma

Hmmm, Nothing wrong with most of the above mentioned...But if I was going to buy one today, I'd get the 4.5 x 14 Burris ballistic plex as well....just because.

My uncle bought me my first scope a long time ago. A Leupold 3-9x40mm.. Still use it today. I have continued to use nothing but them without any problems. I really like the VX-III model... The 50mm is a little expensive, but lets a TON of light in...

I have a Vari-X III on my 30-06 and it's a great scope. But, I'd suggest you take a look and do some research on the Weaver Grand Slam scopes. I think they are a better value and "almost" as good as the Leupold Vari-X III. I have a Weaver GS 3x10x50 and have compared it side by side to a 50 mm Leupold Vari-X III in failing light and can't tell a difference. The Leupold does have more eye relief it that is a factor (generally only an issue for big magnum rifles). I just ordered another Weaver 4.5x14x40 for another rifle. If you go with Weaver, check out the prices at www.bearbasin.com

Scott eye relief is actually about #1 on my wish list. I'm getting to be an old fart and I've seen too much scope eye over the years.

Scott eye relief is actually about #1 on my wish list. I'm getting to be an old fart and I've seen too much scope eye over the years.

I would think most quality scopes would meet your needs on eye relief. The Weavers have more than enough for me and I have one mounted on a 45-70.

I'm not a big scope guru, but I bought a .270 awhile back and the gun dealer spoke very highly of the Burris scopes. So I had him mount one on the .270 and I have been happy with it. I got a free Burris spotting scope with the purchase........I guess I should of for the money I spent!!!!!