RockChucker30

New to Homebrew, Need Help!!!

I'm brand new to this site...got referred here from archerytalk. I'm a hopeless tinkerer, and am addicted to trailcams. I've got a couple of StealthCams, and can't help but think that I could build something better. The problem is that I don't have a clue as to what camera, board, sensor, lens, or housing to get that will work and give me the quailities i want most. Here's what I'm looking for:

digital

good picture quality

good flash range (do i need a slave flash to get this?)

quick trigger time (i'd like to have the ability to get pics of a deer walking by, which my commercial cams don't do)

long battery life

DURABILITY

ability to take multiple pics with one triggering

time delay i.e. take 2 or three pics, then wait 30 secs or a minute to take the next set of pics

Cost isn't too much of a concern to me, as I'm young, no wife, no kids, no house and my only hobbies revolve around hunting.

I'd like something that is at least moderately easy to put together, as this will be my first attempt.

I appreciate any help given, especially plans, directions, etc and advice on what components to use to get what I'm looking for.

Thanks guys, Nathan

Here is a link to members store. From here you go to a few of their sites and read up about the boards they sale. LINK

The P32 & P41 are probably the best cameras for getting those quick pictures. There are still other cameras out that after making a few mods to them they take a little faster pictures. The P32,P41 are going to be your most expensive cameras because of their popularity and they are the best cameras to use. And they are getting harder to come by. Just start doing a lot of reading on this forum and go checkout members sites.

There are some of the R&D team that their websites our not in there.

SSS

BIGFOOT

XLP

YETI

Here are a few of their sites..

IF I missed someone please add them i'm not trying to single anyone out.

Edited by Mathews_1

I just bid on a P41 on eBay. Does anyone know of any plans/directions that meets the goals I outlined previously using this camera? Any suggestions on other components?

Also, I was browsing the Yeti site so generously given to me and found the complete kit that they sell...apparently all you have to do is supply the camera and hook it up. That seems like a good solution for a beginner such as myself. Does anyone have experience with them? Are they quality?

Thanks

Edited by RockChucker30

I was about to recommend a kit to you but see you already found yetis. Try looking around in pawn shops for your p-41-32 that matthews mentioned.The p-41 has a great trigger time around 1.7 seconds + - and flash the p32 a little slower and weaker flash but still good. Battery life and the delay options are avalible with any of these boards and cameras mentioned.

Good luck

RockChuker30, the best thing about a homebrew trail cam is that you can build it exactly as you want.

For longer battery life, you can go with a little larger case and add external batteries. The Sony P32 & 41 are generally your better cams to use but there are others as well. Olympus D380 and 360L are good as well as the Sony S40, & 600 as well as a few others.

You did not mention if you wanted IR (infra red) or not, then most cameras mentioned above will have OK flashes if not real good. I believe that the S40 & 600's are a little more difficult to hack with the Olympus very easy. Your Olympus cams will need a slave if you want IR.

My advice to you is first figure out exactly what you want in your trail cam, then you can pick the cam to best suit your needs, as well as a control board, then a case to fit board, camera, external batteries if needed, slave if needed, your locking method, a dipped case or 3D for camo. The first 4 cameras I mentioned should give you 2.5 seconds or faster trigger time, some very close to the 1 second mark.

As for instructions, there are plenty of step by step (with pictures) but mostly set up for each specific camera. Plus, if you run into any problems, post a question on here and you will get help fairly fast, members are more then willing to help. Actually the tougher the problem, the more help you will get :lol: .

Good luck and welcome to the site and hobby.

My personal preference for a first build is the Sony DSC P-52. The "hack" on it is exactly the same as the P-32 and P-41 but it's a little bigger and, therefore, easier to work on. P-41's are a little pricey to destroy trying to do your first hack!

For a starter build, I don't think you'll see an appreciable difference in speed, resolution, or flash range (if you use a flash enhancer) between the P-32 and the P-52. There is a slight difference between the P-41 and P-52. :rolleyes:

Another good option for a first build if you like to solder is the Olympus D370/380. They are inexpensive and readily available.

For control board, use whatever is available. ALL those that you'll find through this forum work well and are easily adaptable to whatever camera you use. Many are currently out of stock...use whatever is available.

Just my humble opinion...hope it helps.

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION!!!

ENJOY THE RIDE!!!!

I would go with a p52 for first build, than advance to a p32 or p41. I built 2 of them and they are a pretty good cam. Get them cheap on ebay. I use yeti for my builds and I am am real happy with them. Up to 9 cams now :D

I just bid on a P41 on eBay. Does anyone know of any plans/directions that meets the goals I outlined previously using this camera? Any suggestions on other components?

Also, I was browsing the Yeti site so generously given to me and found the complete kit that they sell...apparently all you have to do is supply the camera and hook it up. That seems like a good solution for a beginner such as myself. Does anyone have experience with them? Are they quality?

Thanks

I HAVE 5 CAM WITH YETI BOARD AND IT WORK GREAT I LOVE THE TRAIL MOD ON THAT BOARD THE P41 IS FAST , VERY GOOD CHOICE, IF YOU DON'T WANT TO HACK THE CAMERA SEND IT TO MOHICAN HE WILL HACK IT FOR YOU WITH A LITTLE FEE , FOR YOUR 2ND CAM THEN YOU CAM TRY TO HACK IT YOUR SELF BY LOOKING AT THE 1ST ONE

Thanks

I usually just build my own, but my son-in-law got a deal on 4 P41's and wanted me to build 4 trailcams with them. Since I was very busy remodeling my house, I suggested we buy the kits from Yeti, which we did. Placed the order and in less than a week had them in hand. All I had to do was hack the cameras, and the P41 is about as easy as it gets. I put them all together one evening. Sweeeeeeeet! :) Mark is one of the nicest guys you'll ever do business with and sells a great product. You can't go wrong using the kit for your first one. As a matter of fact, you have to try hard to mess it up. :o