Sign in to follow this  
bat

Need A Light Weight, Easy To Use Centerfire Rifle

Picture this..

due to an shoulder injury this year i'm looking at getting the smallest caliber, lightest weight, easiest to use rifle. i can use anything that is 22 centerfire caliber and above here in Ga.

I been wanting a small caliber rifle anyway so this would be a good time to check up on one.

I know I should wait till this thing completely heals :P and I want you to know that I will not do anything stupid but if I feel like it is close and the doc gives me the ok we will be trying to take to the woods a little this year in pursuit of those big Bucks. The good thing is I have a long season with the season lasting till about Jan. 15th. Thanks for the input.

Think... ease of use (oh yeah I be left handed), very light weight, with a light kick would be great also. I have a 243 but it is a mite heavy..Remington automatic 742 design!

My 9 year old son uses my wifes rifle, which is 7mm-08 Remington youth model. It shoots very nice. The ballistics are not bad on it either. The recoil is very light also.

Bat seriously.... go pick up a Browning A-Bolt hunter and feel it up. I have a .243WSSM that feels like a .22 when you pick it up and shoulder it. It's short, light, and it doesn't kick.

I'm sure it comes in other calibers, but I bought mine to Antelope hunt in Wyoming with, an use it to shoot varmits here in Kansas too.

It's been years since I gun hunted, but I used to borrow a 222 at first, and it does fine if you are a good shot.

thanks guys, anybody else??

Ruger mini-30, auto / stainless. Sweet little rifle, either 7.62x39, 223 or 243 your choice. My wife has the 7.62x39 and kills anything that moves, she can shoot it all day without any problems. Also never feel guilty about buying anew gun!

My .223 has almost no recoil at all, and still can take down deer just fine if you hit them where you are suppost to anyway! How many lbs gun are you looking to carry around?

You can get a Savage Model 16FCSS with accutrigger in .223 that goes 6.5 lbs

I would consider a contender or G2 in 6.8 mm Remington. Extremely light rifle, especially with the 16.25" barrel. My contender in 223 with this barrel shoots sub 1/2" groups with handloads.

my 9 year old boy shoots a Handi Rifle .243. Very little recoil with 95 grain Federal Fusion. Probably could work up some loads with even less recoil. Very reasonably priced gun too.

Bat the .243 caliber is an excellent choice. Use a bipod and you have and outstanding stand gun and very light recoil with the semi auto. Now if you are really looking for an excuse to buy a new gun then the T C Encore with the barrel of your choice. 22-250 ,243 6mmRem, 257 roberts 7mm/08 are all good shooters. You did not mention if you hand load. If you do the options for reducing recoil are even greater. Best of luck with your choice. :P

I second the Mini 30 suggestion if the recoil is an issue. Autos kick far less and ammo can be reasonably priced in some of the calibers mentioned.

Edited by NWHUNTER

I don't reload now but have worked with some shotgun shell reloading in the past. My oldest came down this morning with my oldest grandson. He had borrowed a .223 for him to shoot if they saw a deer this morning. no luck but I did get to look at that caliber, sweet looking tiny little bullit. I might just have to get me one of those. I'm still open right now as to what i'll get, several of those mentioned sound good! thanks, bat

I got a chance to get down to a friend of mine that owns a gun shop today and looked at several guns he had... man he has 100's of them.. :o anyway I told him what I was interested in (lightweight, not kick much etc.), he showed me a Ruger automatic 44 mag. and said that would have a very light kick. Anyone got one of those and could shed some personal information on it. I know it is not an accurate rifle after 100 yards but that is about my extent on it.

I did get a surprise, I carried some of my old Remington autos with me 11-48s sportsmen 58 models. He give a price to ask for them if I wanted to sale them. From $350 down to $250 for one that has a crack in the stock. All of these are 16 guage, I was expecting less.

I shot a couple deer with a Ruger 44 mag rifle and if it were me I would look for a .243 or comparable. The Ruger is a short, light rifle and not much recoil at all but the 243 is a much better deer round in my opinion. I agree that 100 yards would be pushing it with the 44 mag. My 9 year old son shot a bruiser of a buck this year with a 243 and 100grn Remington Corelokt bullets. The deer was quartering away and he hit it in the shoulder. It demolished the shoulder, went into the neck and through the spine and lodged under the skin on the other side. The bullet held together and was a perfect mushroom. I was very impressed. This is about a 6lb gun and recoil is minimal.

Would that be a Ruger 243 trapper?? I have a Remington 243 and I agree the 243 will do a good job, I just have a scope already mounted on it and it is a fairly heavy outfit "if" you have an arm/shoulder problem. I'm basically looking at what other options I can get and it's never bad to try a different gun anyway! :D I may end up taking the scope off of the one I have to lighten it up...