Sign in to follow this  
bat

Need A Light Weight, Easy To Use Centerfire Rifle

It is actually an old Remington model 600. They had a real short barrel and are a short handy gun. The problem is they haven't been made for a long time and I think they are getting kind of pricey but if you can find one they are sweet.

Bat,

have a look at the Remington Model Seven. I have one in 6mm, sweet little rifle. Short and light weight, the 6mm (243) is an easy shoot as well.

I've had mine for close to 20 years +- now, and I still like it.

thanks guys for all the suggestions, computers has been down here for a week, just got her back up and running. My rifle had to go on the backburner for this season... darn computer.. I will check back later thought and check up on some of these guns and calipers. :)

Bat,

If you get a chance, check out the 25-06 caliber rifles.

I have a bad arm and the other shoulder is messed up. When I messed up the shoulder, I went and tried a Savage 25-06 caliber. Cheap gun, but it doesn't kick and packs a pretty good punch.

I have been hunting with this rifle for the last 7-8 years and it has really been a good rifle. The only bad thing I have found with this caliber, is that it sometimes is hard to find bullets for it. About the only reliable place to buy them is Bass Pro Shops.

Thanks guys, yesterday I may have found the answer without having to buy another gun... :) I heard about another gun shop that was within 45 miles of here so off I went yesterday. Checked out several he had including a cheap little single shot .223 and a bolt action Ruger .223... now that one was nice but pricey but lite and easy to use. I was in some house trading with the guy when he asked me whether it was the weight or the kick that I was trying to keep low. I told him a little of both right now, that's when he introduced me to a new bullet that you can get in at least the following calibers.... 30.30, 30.06, and the 270.. he didn't have any for the .243. These bullets have 50% less recoil then the normal bullets but hold for the most part (according to the info on the box) their speed and sighting in so you don't have to resight your rifle. I got a box of the .270..

I have just about got my strength and flexibility back enough to get my rifle up but only have this coming week to hunt before season goes out... :) I will give it a shot, maybe starting tomorrow afternoon... Funny thing is I can get my 30.30 up better then I can the Remington 700... both have scopes on them. We gonna give it a try but "only" going to shoot "if" it is a good, really good buck. I still have my eye on a .223, maybe the ruger, that is a pretty little caliper to me..

Bat, man these guys are going to rake me over the coals, but here goes anyhow..the .222, .223. 220 swift and 22.250 are NOT deer guns, period..yes they will kill a deer and do every year, but it is a LOUSY choice for a deer rifle. I had this discussion in deer camp with a guy one year around the camp fire, he would not listen, he lost 2 deer the next day, I found the third deer 150 yds away, no blood trail. I dont care what is said, I will never advocate these calibers as deer guns, I am still shocked to this day that people will recomend a varmint caliber for deer :o

With that said, go for the .243 or 25.06 if you need very low recoil and a dead findable deer. if you find the recoil to still be to much ( I doubt you do) Sims (maker of limb savers) makes a recoil pad that is absolutely the cats meow. and you can also take the but plate off and put some lead inside the butt plate, makes the gun heavier, but absorbs the recoil, Bor the hole bigger than the lead bar you put in, squirt in some silicone, slide the lead in centered, allow to dry, put the buttplate back on, the silicone allows the lead to act like a shock absorber as it can move during recoil.

The .243 and 25.06 is in fact a 30.06 case necked down to accept a smaller diameter bullet, remember, for every action there is an equal reaction? when you shoot a smaller diameter bullet, the recoil is inherently less. but these calibers still offer a wide veriety of bullet weights and designs for many uses, from small game like coyote up to bigger game like deer..in other words, the bullet is smaller, but it still has some ass to it.

An automatic will take recoil out of a gun as well, a bolt, lever or pump will naturally kick more.

Edited by Passthru

I won't rake you over the coals Passthru, I agree 100%. My Dad owned a gun shop and I grew up in it. We sold used guns and had a range out back so as you could imagine I shot every caliber and bullet combination known to man into wet phone books, sand, etc. to see how different bullets and calibers performed. In my opinion, .243 is the smallest caliber I would use on deer. If you use anything smaller you need to be very particular about the shot you take and carefully test the bullets you are using to make sure you understand how they will perform.

A small side note, The 25-06, .270 Win., and .280 Rem. are necked down 30-06's, but the .243 Win is a necked down .308 Win as is the 7mm-08. The .358 Win. is a necked up .308 Win. Not trying to be nit picky, just thought I would mention it.

Correct on the .270, that is what I was thinking of rather than the .243. :wacko:

I've got a 243 in Remington Auto that is a swell shooting gun. I've taken several deer with it and never lost one yet with it. Haven't tried anything smaller, I was just looking at what I needed at the time and the 223 sure looked like it would work good for me, but if it does not perform well enough I wouldn't want it in the long span. Regardless this years season ends today so I will have from now until next Oct. to get back in shape... "if" that possible.

I will tell you guys one thing, I know it takes time and us hunters don't like to give up that time to recoup when it takes a long period of time to repair but it's needed to get your health back near where it was before you have an operation... but that is one pain in the "you know what" to put up with. I've got a lot more patience now then I ever had but it is still hard.... so if any of you have a rotary cuff operation coming up just plant it in your mind... it will take a while to get over... that is a given so get yourselfs prepared for it ahead of time. I had no idea it would be as bad to put up with before hand so this makes it a lot rougher.

Aw hush you whiney old fart, you'll be ok before you know it! :P:)

Bat, a good friend of mine had the same operation, torn cuff, it took him some time to get back into shape, but he is back and shooting what he wants as far as Rifles, and he is back to bow hunting as well with his compound. so it will get better by next season if you keep up with the therapy and excersize that shoulder.

I agree with passthru on the varmint riflrs being used for deer. Although in some states it is legal to use smaller calibers like the .223 and .22-250 to hunt deer. Personally I wouldn't advise it. One thing about my .243 WSSM is that it's about like carrying a .22 in the field(it's that light) and it has very very little recoil. I guess that's two things. But the bad thing is... the shells are now about $34 for 20. EDIT: My little .243 WSSM is a Browning A-Bolt hunter with the Browning 5 X 15 scope.

So if you don't want another .243 bat...my other recommendations would be a .25-06 or a 6mm.

Both are good deer guns, acceptable for varmints, and could be used for pigs and antelope if you want too, and they both shoot flat.

Again personally if it ain't Browning or Ruger I probly won't buy it, nothing against the other brands, but I've had years of nothing but good out of them. And as much as I like Ruger, I wouldn't use a mini to seriously hunt anything with(the 14 or the 30). None of us around here can get them to group consistently. If I can hit a compact disc at 100 yards 4 out of 5 times(with a scope) I'm very thrilled..

(And this is from the same guy that used to shoot an open sight M14 for qualification with KDWP)

Why don't you try out a .25 WSSM, .300 WSM, .300 Win Mag, or a .325 WSM and let me know how they do? Those are the ones I'm looking at... :D

Edited by antlrcolectr

antrl I better let you shoot those bigger guns right now :lol: I saw a Ruger back when I was looking around and kind of kept going back to it. Nothing wrong with having two .243's... I kept on asking some of the buddies I know about a place up in central Ga. that I had went to a long time ago and they got me the location again. They have about any gun that you could want up there. As soon as I get a chance I'm going up there.

For you Ga. hunters it is in Butler Ga. Barrow Auto Parts, don't let the name fool you, big gun shop in the back... BIG!! shop.

edit: you guys remember I was looking at the .223 for different reason.. I added a couple more reasons since then. I could use it as a temporary gun if I needed to(if my shoulder kept giving me problems or the other one go bad, which may happen) :unsure: My oldest grandson is getting into Deer hunting and he could use it for a year or two, then my second grandson etc. I kind of like it for tinkering around also, we have toooo many Bobcats, some hogs(haven't seen them this year but didn't get out much) and yotes around here, it would come in handy for them... plus that shell kind of catches your eye when you pull it out of your pocket... :P

Edited by bat

Bat take a look at the Remington Model Sevens in whatever caliber your interested in. Definitely a lighter rifle.