Question for everyone Re: Hunting Leases

I am curious how those of you that Have Hunting leases. were able to locate the lease... I have been looking for a lease here in Ohio for awhile now for Bowhunting and not sure where to look for getting involved in them.

Only place I was able to locate was HuntingLeases.Com... But not much comes up for Ohio. Kansa,Indiana and Illinois all the time.

I would like to get Involved in something where I can plant food plots as many of you do, I can hunt here by my House but its very tiny and Limited. I am gonna Loose my Honeyhole spot I have hunted for years after this season. So trying to get a leg up on things for next year.

Any Insight?

Dan

I dont know what kinda money it would take to lease,and i dont know what you are able to afford. but you might run an add in the paper of a few surrounding towns and see what pops up. if you could get several others to go into this with you it opens doors for more land for all,talk to a few farmers,they are always looking to make a little extra money and help also. of course i dont lease so my input is bassically worthless :huh:

dan, welcome to the site. I would think a starting point would be to find out who the large land owners are in your area ie. paper companies, pulp companies ,wood companies, large farming operations. A lot of the time you can info like this on the net on county or state bios, on the net. Another sorce may be the local wildlife officers . The very best source may be word of mouth, just start telling people you lookingh for a lease, do not limit the contacts to hunters, just ask everyone if they know of property that may be available. good luck

Dan,

I figured out is it very different from state to state. I'm originally from Oklahoma where leasing hunting land is a relatively new thing. Most people find land to hunt on by word of mouth and usually don't have to pay a lease fee. I had free access to over 3500 acres when I lived there. I've been in Georgia now for 6 years. From the first day I moved here, I found out that it is very difficult to find any land, other than public, to hunt on for free. Virtually everyone who hunts on private land is a member of a hunting club that leases land. Most of the private land in GA is owned by paper/timber companies that lease tracts of land to hunters. But in Oklahoma, the majority of land is owned by farmers.

So, if in Ohio, leasing land is a relatively new thing and farmers own the majority of private land, you can probably start by looking for an area that you are interested in, then find out who owns it at the county assessor’s office. Then contact the land owner directly. Chances are that they have never been approached to lease their land for hunting rights. You can probably get a decent price, depending upon how popular leasing is in your state. In GA, the average annual lease price for a tract of land ranges from $7 to $10 an acre. The closer you are to an area known for big deer, the bigger the price.

Thank you guys for the Input...

Leasing land here does not seem to be Common at all. and we do have alot of Farmlands available, I have approuched several of these Farmers and have asked them permission to Hunt there land. I got several of there names from the Division of wildlife. they gave several famers names because they complained of Deer and crop damage and requested nuisance permits to eliminate them.

When I approuched them I introduced myself and politely asked for permission to be able to Hunt there Land, Bow season Only. and I expressed my willingness to do things around there property to help them out in anyway I could.

Most were disponded with Hunters in gernal stating they Liter there land, Put deep Ruts in there roadways with atv's and 4 wheel drive trucks.and so on... Tried to express I dont own a 4 wheeler and would park where they requested and would respect there land as if it were my own.

But the 6 I have asked basiaclly all share the same consensus they have had it.

This is why I have thought of leasing, I have seen several others that do this. Thats why I thought I would ask... Not much of it going on in our state of Ohio... But I'll ask everyone and keep my eyes and ears open.

Just thought I would see what some of you all are doing.

Thanks for taking the time to comment

Dan

Unfortunately Its the orange army that has ruined it for many of us here in Ohio. Its hard to get permission when the last guy brought his 12 buddies over there and fired 50 rounds in 10 minutes during gun season.

I like gun hunting , but gun season around here makes me sick to my stomach. There are so many people in the woods that are totally clueless and haven't set one foot into the woods until the 1st day of gun season.

Luckily i have friends and family that have some awesome woods so i dont have to look for a place to hunt. Sorry to piss and moan , but it just makes me mad when good people or hunters are punished because of the slobs. Abe

We have had the same problem in NW Arkansas. Leasing is NOT new here, and lease land goes for 3-5 doll. an acre IF you can find it. Many of the folks WON"T lease because of the idiots. Poaching is a major problem on their lands too, which turns them off even further. We finally got some help from Game and Fish there though now. Hunting while trespassing is now a Gave and fish violation with fines and points. If you are doing it with a minor, it is an automatic revocation of your liscence for 1 year too. Its nice to have a law with real consiquences.

Some people around here who are in the trades, offer their services for hunting rights. This seems to work especially well when the farmers and their families don't hunt. Of course with all the CWD crap, everything has changed!

Nothing like seeing a 200+ lb 12 pt being caped and the rest of the deer dumped :o And the worst part is that it's legal to do so :angry:

I talked to people who shot 3-4 trophy deer last year, some still in velvet, still in bachelor groups.... it ain't right <_< :huh:

• 3 weeks later...

A bit of an Update...

I found an area I like alot its 160 acres but the lease is $3,000.00 thats over 18.00 an acre for the rite to hunt. and its 2 1/2 hours for me to get there.. The drives is ok by me, But the price seems high. I could almost buy the land and afford the payments on it at that rate... I am still looking

Dan

• 1 month later...

In the south (GA) that is,if your not in a lease you don't hunt unless you hunt on your own land.I currently lease 500 acres for $3000.00 and have 10 members.I look for land that has good quality timber,water and the land owner usually lease's it for what the taxes are in that county.I have leased this proptery now for 6 years in a row and we have a great success rate of deer kills.Try to find a local farmer in your area and ask him about leasing it to you for the hunting rights.Or you can ask to help in the feilds and most of the time the farmer will see you want to help him out to hunt the land.I have some friends in Ohio and that is how they hunt,won't lease the land to them but they get get to hunt for helping get the corn out of the feilds though.

Vic

:twocents:

• 3 months later...

OBH I am kind of in the same boat. My father and I lost permission last season where we hunted for the last 20 years. The owners grandson who is about 18 yrs old has taken up hunting and now has exclusive permission. Thats certainly understandable...family is family.

The first ten years we hunted there for free...the last 10 we had been kickin him a few bucks(which was his idea). Six of us had been paying him $100 each per year which I thought was rather high considering the farm was 160 acres and atleast 1/2 of it was pasture. Six people can be abit crowded but I was the only serious bowhunter in the group really so it worked out well for me. But I paid it because I knew the area well already and it had plenty of deer and turkeys. I always grimised alittle though when I coughed up the $100....that comes to about $4 per acre of the total property but it's nearly $8/acre of actual woods. And lets face it, ya cant hang a treestand in a field lol. Our 'lease' was very unofficial...we just handed him cash and he allowed us to hunt. This was down in Noble/Belmont counties and I hated to lose it even though its over 3 hours drive from up here on the lake.

I would not even consider paying $18 an acre. In fact that to me sounds like someone that has heard they can charge for hunting permission and wants to get rich on it. I'd have to walk away laughing if they told me $18.

I sort of gave up on hunting after we lost that farm last year and I didn't even buy a liscense. I didn't hunt in Ohio last year at all. So now I am hunting for a place to hunt lol. I wouldn't mind leasing but like you I really don't know the first thing about it. I would love to be able to manage the land alittle and have food plots and such. I never could get the guys to pass on the smaller bucks at the other place.

I sure hope guys here in Ohio are not paying anywhere near $18 an acre. Like you said, its not that far of a leap from $18/acre to just flat out buying the land. But that may be the case I dunno. I think Ohio has alot more 'hunters per acre' than most places so landowners may be getting that much.

Have you found out anything more? I heard to have a completely legal lease you have to have insurance and all that hooplah which adds another $3-4 an acre ?

btw where is that 160 acres you found? lol maybe thats my old place