treetop

New Cam Hp E337

21 posts in this topic

I have been playing with a HP E337 for a few months I had one the first week HP released them and ran it on and off thru September in October someone stole it and it took me awhile to get another one done. Anyhow this one has been running about 10 days now and I have surprised with the battery life so far. I put 2 new Lithium batteries in it and so far the picture count is over 1000 and still going. What worried me was the LCD cant be turned off just made darker as a power save feature. I have a pdf done on it The Mod is not bad at all and I would guess its a 3 second camera at the end of the refresh loop and a little faster than that sooner after a refresh. It isnt the quality of a camera as a Sony but it does do pretty good

It uses AA batteries, has NO optical zoom, the flash is decent and it has a time /date stamp on the pictures and it fits right in a 1040 vertical. The lens is far enough away from the flash to work in a cam easy enough. Maybe the best thing is these are in production and can be bought new from several places for just 70 dollars and they use cheap SD cards I have been using a 1 gig and it still doesnt seem to slow it down. I added it up in my store and you could buy all you need for just about 80 dollars plus shipping so for $ 160 or so you could have a brand new 5 mp trail cam

Here is a link to HP on it http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping...&catLevel=2

Here is The HP E337 Modification PDF http://www.bfoutdoors.com/PDFS/Final_HP_E3...ODIFICATION.pdf

post-74-1197415781_thumb.jpg

post-74-1197415850_thumb.jpg

post-74-1197416089_thumb.jpg

post-74-1197416129_thumb.jpg

post-74-1197416209_thumb.jpg

Edited by treetop

Good work TT, looks like the flash is ok, are you useing an enhancer? Just looked at your instructions and it looks about like hacking a 380, even I can do this.

Thanks

Edited by killdee

sorry for an off topic question, is that just gravity that feeds the corn thru the tube? Do the deer learn

to smack it and make food come out ?

What size conduit/piping is that?

thanks

-bubba

That's one of the best cheap cameras I've seen! Great work as always Dave :)

Edited by 212

Thanks 212 and thank you for the lhelp on the pdf sure does load nice now

Cheapest I like I do wish it was a little better quality camera but Ill take its simplicity over most of these extending lens auto focus cameras anytime.

Bubba 1 inch conduit and a UTZ pretzel jug seems the deer learn to nudge that stick in a couple days

Meet Funky horn I fed him for 4 yrs First buck I ever got on a homebrew He disappeared a couple winters ago never to be seen again

post-74-1197423238_thumb.jpg

I think I am the only one to look at it at all I dont think it is a good ir cam but I am not sure It doesnt seem to pick up extra light good from a slave and I think it has something to do with the fast shutter speeds it uses and these cant be changed. So for now I would say no go

Aww man Dave! I just bought one of these last night thinking I was gonna have the next best thing, then did a search this morning and see that you beat me to it a long time ago. :lol: Good work on this one, looks like a very good choice for a cam.

Gary

Good work Dave, my grandson wants a digital camera for x-mas and that fits in the price range and if he wants a game camera it looks like it would work great.

Thanks,

cliff

Gary and Cliff

I had it set up after the first 800 pics outdide right in the house I to see how the batteries would hold up and I ended up with 1350 pictures and a little over 2 weeks with a set of Lithiums i like it because it is quiet, Fairly easy hack and no extending . Not the highest quality camera but price is right and its pretty fast to shutter day or night

Treetop -

does the camera need a slave flash or is the one with the camera adequate?

Hunt4it44 in the first post treetop said it has a decent flash.

and i think the pictures posted are of just the camera flash and seem ok to me could be worse like the samsung a402 :lol:

As soon as christmas settles down i am going to try one of these and am going with just camera flash and the bf board

Hunt4it44 I have tried it with a slave and it doesnt seem to gain using a slave flash very much Its odd and I need to play with it some more Its flash is okay colors are okay but I guess it is what it is A cheap easy to hack put into a build camera that is still being made today I have mine out in the woods right now and I checked the card yesterday Here are a few unedited pics Picasa The first deer are close about 12 ft the farther one about 20 I would be comfortable out to 20 ft with it. It also is pretty fast to trigger I will say in the Mid/high 2 second low 3 second range

post-74-1198337743_thumb.jpg

post-74-1198338004_thumb.jpg

post-74-1198338101_thumb.jpg

post-74-1198338142_thumb.jpg

Dave, you probably have already checked this but my first bet would be the number of flashes it uses.