befus

Jazz Hack Info And Build Specifics

I recieved this email today

Dave,

We should have the f3.6mm F2.0 lens & holder in stock in about 2 weeks time. We will ship to you as soon as we receive the new stock

I have had a couple on backorder for quite awhile. These will cost under 10 dolars for the lens and base

I have searched and everyone else seems to want 30 dollars or more by the time we get the lens and base we need

Thanks Dave! Geeez, you can almost buy a board camera for less than they want!

Edited by 212

How about battery longevity? Has anyone done a external battery supply?

I will be a test subject and order one of the lens. Which lens/holder should I try? Or should I get lens 2 just in case? If so which 2?

Well, thats somewhat good news Dave. Its definately cheaper than buying the parts seperately . I figured the cost of the lens and holder from B and H with shipping would be near $28. So lets just use the ones you found, WE KNOW IT WORKS :). Its worth the wait to just use the lens and holder Dave is sourcing for us, unless some of you just want to find an alternative to play around with for different viewing areas.

I looked into buying the Jazz and it looks like thier out.... I found them more expensive online. Anyone know if B&H will have them back?

I found a few places up in the 80's for sale, then add in shipping... not gonna bite yet.

Hey, you pulled the trigger, I just pointed lol...

I got the 10mm triple chip LEDs today. They are decent I guess, but I never liked the spotlight affect from the 30 degree LEDs. I sent coldfusionx a message asking about some 60 degree ones he mentioned to me about once before. Got a fast reply too, but we would need to order about 2000 of them before he could get them for us :(

I also drove down to the creek where my video cam is, to try the two 5 watt LEDs with the Jazz. I'll post a picture, but the video is 100 percent better looking than this....you do not see all those speckles in video mode. The big tree is at least 30~35 feet from the Jazz camera, and it sees IR better than my TRV85 in nightshot mode...

I did not focus the lens, I was only looking for how bright it would be.

post-215-1200634611_thumb.jpg

212 - thanks for the tip on underbid having the dvr's. I checked with 2 different Wolf Camera stores here in Austin, TX and neither one had any idea what kind of camera I was even talking about.

I also wanted to express my most sincere appreciation for you sharing pics of your "pretty pink azz". I am sure that I am not alone in my sentiments that it takes a man very secure in his masculinity to provide such pictures. I would even go so far as to suggest that, while my "pretty pink azz" is much bigger, I feel more compelled than ever to do this Jazz video build with the express intent of posting pictures of my own "pretty pink azz" on this forum. Heck, I might even start a new topic and post video!

cheers!

TT, Jagg, 212...

What are your current thoughts on IR arrays for this unit. This area is going to be entirely new to me. I'm assuming the 6v you have built are for size considerations???? I really like the idea of all in one easily maneuverable case. What are you currently leaning towards for your next and future builds.

Yea, I basically wanted a 6 volt system so I could run the array and board off the same power supply. The bigfoot will directly handle up to 6.5 volts. So I built a 6 volt array to run off a 6V C battery pack so I could have just one small battery supply. You could always run the bigfoot with the AAAs and then use a 12 volt battery and array. The bigfoot sister board will handle that with no problem .

I am working on a 6 volt IR array using some super bright LEDs that I found. I just got the leds in today and I already have the boards to run them, so hopefully tonight I will be able to post what it looks like and how it performs. If all goes right, I will be able to offer the board in both 6V and 12 V versions . I think you all will like it.

I saw the pic(s) of your 6v C holder and TTs 6vSLA all in the same 1060 case. I am DEFINITELY going this route with mine. I just don't like the idea of BIG CASES. What kind of enclosures have you been or will you be using for the arrays?? How long will the C batts last running both the board and array??? how bout the SLA????

Sorry for all the questions...if you don't think they should be in the thread we could move it over to PM if need be

hunt4it44, thanks for the kind words lol...

I'm thinking most of the lighting options are going to have a battery life of about 4 hours on the 4.5ah SLA. C rechargables should do about the same, but both will last less time in the cold. If we run Bigfoot on them too, it will have little affect on battery life, as the little on-board AAAs last months. I'm still thinking I will use rechargeable AAs for my Jazz set-up, and expect about 2 hours is all, but with the abundant sun we get down here, I'll put a solar panel to use.