Sign in to follow this  
antlrcolectr

Okay... If Bat Can Look For New Guns And Passthru -

Okay here's a new can of worms for you all...(also posted elsewhere with no luck)

I'm in the market for a new bolt action rifle. No particular job intended yet. Although I might take it Caribou hunting in Sask. next fall.

Anyway - no specific job I need it for, I just want another caliber.

My current calibers are: .223, .22-250, .243 WSSM, .270, .300 Savage, and several .22's.

And I won't (yet) get a .308, .30-06, or a 7MM Mag., so they are out for now as well.

I'm looking into a .25 WSSM, .300WSM, .300 Win Mag, or .325 WSM. By the way, I know how much the WSM and WSSM ammo costs :rolleyes:

Ruger and Browning are my guns of choice since I already own all Ruger and Browning. I like the looks and feel of Winchester Model 70 featherweight as well, but I've never owned one. SO anyway...no Howa, Tikka, or Savages here. I've already looked at them and don't like them.

Does anyone currently own these calibers I'm interested in...or use them. Ballistically speaking, and even trigger friendliness... tell me something I need to know shooting these larger rounds and I suppose any good words on your "other" favorite gun makers.. :rolleyes: .

Sounds like you're tinkering with the idea of stepping more into the 30cal range. So that I am not attacked and drug into the Chev vs Ford argument, theres nothing at all wrong with any of them mentioned, but, the 30 cal does offer a ton of bullet selection. Not only in weight but in many different manufacturers and styles. From 110 grain to 180 grain or more opens up a ton of options should you decide to hand load. Loading your own may take care of the cost issue some if you shoot enough to justify the investment or already have all the components. Other option would be to buy the dies and befriend someone with a press. The 325 on the other hand (which I'm sure is a great all around gun and I think would be perfect for elk) has more limitations on selection. If you doubt you'll be using this new gun on anything much larger than a caribou then the 25WSM might be a real interesting option but then with already owning a 243 & 270 you'd have to ask "why?".

On the other hand being a Ruger fan if you're looking to branch out to more of a thumper take a look at the Ruger 375. Big holes can = more fun sometimes.

The last rifle I bought was a Model 700 300 ultra mag. I have taken some animals with it, works far better on elk then deer, but I don't live in an area where I can put to use the 3200 fps from the 26" barrel. I guess I was feeling a little macho deficient one pay day, can't explain that one. Anyway, too much gun for most of what I do and I am probably not alone on that one. The recoil is not bad with Remingtons stock Limbsaver pad but the muzzle blast and recovery time from the shot is um.... noticeable.

Good luck, hope you post your decision.

212....Nope... sorry but no 30/30. (see .300 Savage) Their about the same in my book.

NWHUNTER - I'm actually more of a fan of little holes an lots of them. :D But you're right, big holes can be fun sometimes too. Take that however you want people... but I mean shotguns... :ph34r: As a matter of fact I did look at the ammo for the .375 at Gander Mountain, but I never found a gun. :angry:

Come on people I/we won't flame you, more input needed...

Edited by antlrcolectr

Why not a 7mm? I am not talking about the 7mm mag, but I sure bet that 7 WSM would be a dandy. I like the short, fat cartridges for efficiency, action length ect. Unfortunately, I can not find a real good way to convince my wife I need one. I made the mistake of telling her my Encore could switch barrels (way back when I bought it), and she won't forget that. I have a 7mm x 444 Improved rifle barrel for it, and a 7-08 pistol barrel for it. Give the 7mm's a look. The bullet selection is huge, and the B.C.'s are some of the best for longer range shots. A Browning A-bolt would be my choice.

I have had and still do have .243, 30-30, 30-06 and a .270 and they all do a great job on a Deer. Don't know about the bigger animals. The .270 is a Remington Model 700 which is a very accurate rifle... Most of mine are Remingtons so I can't help much on the Ruger and the Browning. Did have a Browning auto but it was just too darn pretty to carry in the woods so I ended up selling it this pass fall... never got around to shooting it but a couple of times.

Remington has a download that you can download and use it to change to different calipers of each bullet and simulate shooting to see how each different one will perform. I've had it downloaded for quite a while and used it to gather some information as for bullet drops and different yardages etc. I don't know how accurate it is but interesting to mess with. Look at www.remington.com and look for "shoot" software, it might help you with what you want.

I have a Browning A-bolt Stainless Stalker in 300 Win Mag with the Boss System. This is one of the sweetest rifles that I have ever shot. Very accurate [Checked it at range before gun season and could cover 3 shot group at 100 yards with quarter] and with the Boss System there is no kick at all. I have not done any trigger work on it at all, never measured the pull weight but very comfortable Being you have Brownings you know how sweet the bolt works.

If you get a chance to try a 6.5x55. You could kill a moose with it, but the recoil is light enough you could shoot it all day.

I have a 7mm Rem mag and love it..also have a 30.06 and love it, both great rounds. the 7mm mag is almost identicle to the .280, good power, flat shooting and lots of knock down. but it sounds like you are wanting punishment :lol: a .300 win mag will give you plenty of punishment, and the lighter you go with the gun the more your going to know its there, so get one of the Remington 700s with the black ugly stock, then you will have a gun that can punnish anything you shoot with it, and punnish you at the same time :P honestly, there is not an animal on this continent that you cannot hunt with a .300 mag, deer, elk, moose, grizz..it will take them all down.

Also, when you start looking at the new short mags, your ammo is going to cost a lot more, IMHO they are a waste of money, a moose isnt going to know the difference between a .300 mag and a .300 WSSM, they are basically the same gun, different case configuration, they say the new wssm's are more efficient and shoot better..but it isnt enough to justify the cost of the ammo, and you loose a round in the magazine.

Edited by Passthru

ok how about that AR you are wanting :D in a 25wssm a few ar makers are chambering for the wssm,s then you just get a 223 upper of your choice or get the 223 first then a wssm upper later :roll2: tony

I never did get a gun last spring or summer. I had too many house things that needed money.

But I'm all over it now Tony... I've actually been looking at a Rock River Arms LAR-8 Standard A4 Rifle in .308 or a LAR- Mid-Length A2 in 6.8 SPC.(just for a fun rifle)

But first things first... I've decided that for now since I "need" a new inline muzzleloader for next fall... I'm getting a .50 cal Knight KP1, laminated/stainless. (on order)

And yes, I'm still looking into either an A-Bolt or Ruger MkII in .300 Win Mag, don't ask me why. Just to add to the collection I guess, and just in case I ever get that one shot that I need to make count. I have also pondered the thought of getting the additional .300 Win mag barrel for the KP1.

So many guns so little time.

I'm with 212 - Marlin 30-30 in a lever action :P best part about owning that gun is when you walk around with it, the theme music to "The Rifleman" plays over and over in your head and you have an undying urge to cock it with one hand and shoot from the hip. it's great! I have passed it on to my 9 year old son but for some reason I dont think he hears the same music I do.

I bought a Remington Model 700 in a .270 a few years ago and put a Leupold Vari-X II scope on it. I will admit the bolt action aint exactly the smoothest, but it sure is a straight shooting rifle.

if i was to buy a new one today - 300 WSM would be my choice. it is supposed to shoot like a 30-06 without the kick.

Sent you a PM.

I have a Rem. 700 ADL in .300cal. w/4-12 Leopold that I might be interested in parting with. I also have the reloading dies for it. Email me at: rizkid@comcast.net

What! no 3030???

I as well grew up on a 30-30. Marlin lever action side eject. Still have it. Haven't shot it in a long time.Hmmmm...................