Jaggermax

Buying The Jazz Direct

In stock here it says, $79.74, but shipping ain't cheap.

http://www.wirelesshut.com/results.html?ke...arch%3A_ctl1=Go

Well it looks to me like the Jazz has been discontinued and I hope this trend doesn't continue but if they stopped making them we might be forced to look at some different cameras. I hope not because the Jazz works pretty good for an inexpensive camera.

Well I sure hope we don't just abondon the project after so many of us have the cams on hand awaiting the final hack/parts kits. It is annoying to find a camera which meets our needs and have it discontinued before the final product is even set up :o(. I'd imagine the guys who have been puting in the mega hours on this are even more irritated, and I hope the boards will be available and that we get enough of them to defray the costs of treetop and others.

Guest explore00

It would take 3 guys to split the job if I was in the USA i wold do it come on guys lets not give this up

Don't be too discouraged, most things are already outdated before they even get to market.. They aren't even considering not finishing things so we can use the Jazz...it works too good. Real life has to come before hobbies, but they are on it still.

Guest explore00

I can help with the mailing addresses set it up in a pdf file and all that is needed is to print them out

Boxes can be that hard to find either. they must be packed in there original boxes all that is needed is to wrap them up Man if I was in the USA I would do this

Well Boney had a good find with the EZ201 camera. It is made by RCA and looks pretty much the same and has basically the same features as the Jazz. Here is a link to the camera from B&H photo. I'm not sure about the hack but I remember one certain person saying that any camera can be hacked.LOL

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4822..._Camcorder.html

Steve Clay and I have been looking at that one and also one called a Flip Clay may have bought one I actually ordered a Small wonder a few hours ago to give it a try It sure looks like it will work but who knows it may be another search for a lens.

Kinda funny story about a hour after Clay made this post I recieved a call back from a Jazz tech It only took a week for them to get back to me Well he really didnt know much about the tech side of the Jazz but I did ask and he told me that they wouldnt be having them made any longer Sales were not very good acording to him The lens I know will work on the Jazz arent in as of yet.Once I get one to try I will start selling Jazz boards I just want to be sure we have that before I start selling them. The code seems to be working fine now

I am working out of town and wont be home till late Friday and I am hoping the jazz lens will arrive soon

It shouldnt take long to see if the Small wonder will work for us

Yep, its frustrating to develop somthing, only to have it go out of production. But, it sounds like Dave will have you a bigfoot board with the Jazz code soon for those of you that have them. I think you will be more than happy with the results!

Also, I just picked up the RCA EZ201 from circuit City for 99 bucks. Its a nice camera. More solidly built than the Jazz and SUPER simple to use. No menus or setting to worry about. BUT , it does not have a time or date feature which is a bummer. Only setting it has is the quality level which is set by a small switch on the outside of the camera. Another thing is that is is about a second slower than the Jazz, so expect 5 or 6 seconds after motion to start recording. I am playing with it now. Low light recording is as good or better than the Jazz, so I hope the IR mod will have the same results. Its not a Jazz, but hopefully, it will at least be another alternative.

Thanks Clay for testing it out. How does the lens compare to the Jazz? From what pictures I found it looks similar but I couldn't find any specs on it. The size of the 201 looks close to the Jazz size also. I'm sure you probably have it torn apart by now....

I was at the local Wal Mart last nite and they had a couple RCA EZ201 cameras there hanging right next to the floor and I wouldnt have seen them if not looking for them.Priced at $129.99,they were gathering dust and probably will gather more at that price.

Been playing with the Jazz while waiting for materials to hack it,...seems to work pretty good.

The wife thinks I need help! Talking of putting me on probation aaaaaaaagain!!

Jaggermax is the one that mentioned the EZ201 and I had not heard of it yet.So I did a little price checking,looks like a good canidate and it sounds like Jaggermax is on it like a Hobo on a Hotdog! :lol:

The wife thinks I need help! Talking of putting me on probation aaaaaaaagain!!
Just wait a few years. Most of our wives have given up on us.

Ok, got some test results in. I just posted a comparison video on my website. HERE is the link. I also posted another clip comparing them on areas that could reflect back the IR light. Clip is HERE. I will post some higher quality footage later. One thing I did notice, is if there is somthing to reflect back some of the IR light withint 20 or 30 feet, the RCA pics it up much better.

Hands down, the Jazz is much better in IR modded configuration. The RCA is decent with the IR mod, but is only about 75% as good as the Jazz. Couple of things I noticed first about the RCA.

1) The image sensor is much smaller, about 2/3 the size of the Jazz sensor, which is probably why it does not pick up as well in IR light

2) The RCA actually records better "out of the box" than the Jazz. Picture seems sharper and the colors are not overexposed like the Jazz.

3) Sound on the RCA is much better than the Jazz. Really sensitive mic

4) No additional IR lens needed for the mod like the Jazz. The lens on the RCA attaches to the main board just like the Jazz. Remove the screws and pry off the lens carefully. The lens uses a thin IR cut filter on the inside of the lens, nearest the sensor. I gently took a small pick and pulled back the plastic rim holding it in. Then it pops right on out. Then just install the lens and holder back onto the board. The lens and holder are smaller than the Jazz lens and holder.

5) The RCA uses a switch "sister" board like the Jazz, but the connector is smaller. I did not do the wire hack yet, but will this weekend. Its not gonna be as easy as the jazz.

6) Love the built in USB port on the RCA. Actually, the RCA will "phone home" when you plug it in and it downloads automatically all the video capture and movie making software for you. It also checks for firmware updates and installs them onto the Jazz. So the Jazz will be able to upgrade and improve its features by the remote automatic firmware upgrade. VERY nice feature.

7) Case screws on the RCA are all hidden under covers and small plugs over the screw holes. Pretty easy to take apart once you know where the screws are.

8) RCA is a bit bigger than the Jazz. Also seems to be a little better built.

9)Super easy interface. No menus. The only setting on the camera is the video quality which is set by a small switch on the outside.

10) slightly longer startup time than the Jazz, about 1 to 2 seconds longer. Still good enuf in my book.

11) Speaker cannot be turned off on the RCA. So when it powers up, it makes a "ding" sound. No big deal, I can either disconnect it or put on a small external on/off switch.

12) Biggest disappointment is no internal clock on the RCA. The Jazz at least had the capability of pulling the time and date stamp from the properties of the video file.

13) screen is smaller on the RCA.

14) The RCA uses a better video compression than the Jazz. If I record a 10 second clip from both in the same conditions, the Jazz uses almost twice the memory. At first I thought the Jazz simply used a faster bitrate, but comparing the color day videos side by side, I cant tell a difference in the video. So the RCA will probably give much longer recording time compared to the Jazz.

Over all, its a decent camera. Right now its more expensive, about 100 bucks, but since it's RCA, it will probably be around for a long time. It is going to be harder to wire hack I believe, but I need to look into it more. It will definatly work I think as a Jazz alternative, so I will work on the hack and setup to hopefully allow us another camera to pick from. I do think is makes for a better family camcorder than the Jazz. The overall video quality is better.

Also, the RCA has more internal memory. Can record 30 minute of HQ, while the Jazz will only record about 4 minutes.

Edited by Jaggermax

Clay plays with more cameras than you will ever know

Jaggermax is on it like a Hobo on a Hotdog!

I havent really needed the time date yet it sure would be nice if it was there though. On the thing not seeing ir light as good I wonder if a lens witha larger aperture would help ?

Edited by treetop

It may work with a larger aperature Dave. Only problem is the type of lens. its smaller than the lens used by the Jazz and I dont think it is an industry standard. But, I will look around and see if there is a lens holder that will fit the footprint on the board and also look at lenses for that holder. The holder is about 3/4 the size of the jazz. It looks almost identical, but just smaller.

Yea, I go though some cameras for sure. I dont tell the wife. I just keep them in a large box in my office where she cant see them. Boy, I really should count the cameras I have tried to hack. I bet its close to 50 :). Very few of them were worthwhile too. Oh well, you gotta grab the bull by the horns some times :)

I take that back about not having a time/date function on the Jazz. I recorded 10 clips 2 minutes apart. Then pulled up the properies under the file and low and behold, it has the time and date accurately for each clip. only problem, is the time it showed was about 8 minutes faster than the real time. I think I know how they are capturing the time and date. When the camera is plugged into the usb port, it accesses their website. I believe it downloads the current time and date or checks it and stores it in an internal RTC which is invisible to the user. They must have a super cap inside the recorder to store the time and date if the batteries are removed. Pretty neat if you ask me.