Unreadable External Hdd

I have a Maxtor 160 GB external HDD. It always worked good until last week and now when I plug it into the USB port it does not show up in My Computer. I downloaded PC Inspector and it sees the harddrive but it says it is unreadable. Is there anything I can do to save the files or format the drive??

How are you tyting to access it?..Try to right click on the drive from My Computer and hit Explore and see what happens....you may want run ckdisk to see if the drive is totally bad too.

Vic, I can't access it. It doesn't show up in my comuter. When I look for it in device manager, it shows up under disk drives and says it is working properly. If I run PC Inspector I can see it when I do a search for lost drives, but I can't fix it from there or access it. I would be happy to just format it and loses the 50 GB of pictures at this point. I read some place that the fat32 access file have been deleted by the NTFS conversion and that the laptop can't see it without those, but they didn't tell me howw to put them back.

CB, it was Fat32, but when i tried to backup my laptop on it using Windows one live care it tried to convert it to NTFS and that when the problems started, It worked fine before that.

I have searched all kinds of computer forums and tried about everything they suggest from uninstalling it to updating the driver to rolling back the driver to you name it. I am at wits end. I'm ready to throw this piece of crap in the trash!! :blink:

Edited by Birdog

I'm not all that smart with computers and this is probably useless but did you try right clicking start, click explore, and see if it shows up in the panel on the right?

Yes Phil, I tried that also. explorer.exe Tried Chkdsk also and diskmananger.msc. They all make the green light on the external hard drive blink for about 20 seconds, but none of them let me into the hard drive. It sees it, but won't let me access it. :angry:

After reading about the fat32 and NTFS files--the 2 won't work together.....................Did your drive come with a disk to format it?What operating system are you going to format with?You will have to get it to be recognized in windows and right click on drive and click format...............I would perfer using the disk that came with drive.if you don't have it--go to the manufacturing website and download the stuff from there...........

Vic, I don't think it came with a disk. It is plug and play. When I uninstall the external hdd and unplug the usb and plug the usb back in again it reloads the hdd. I am running windows XP. I'll check the maxtor web site and see if they have anything to help, but from what I read so far about there support, it doesn't sound good. Thanks

I dont know if this will help but I had an old computer with alot of family photos on it and it didnt have a cd burner on that computer. So I talked to a tec guy and he said to just pull the hard drive out and put it into my new computer. Went from a windows 98 harddrive to an xp hard drive. And XP never showed a new hardware wizard or anything. It just showed in one of the other drives that I disconnected to connect the old harddrive in. Copied everything I wanted over and then removed and put it back. So maybe if you can open it up and get to the hard drive and see if the connectors are the same it will work just like a regular one. Dont know but I would save this for a last resort. Hope that helps.

Well I tried it all, and nothing. Device manager says the device is working properly but explorer doesn't see it. WTF?? I guess it's time to call for tech support. Thanks for the advice guys. If I ever fix this, I will let you know how I did it.

Hey 212, how ya been?? Oh ya I tried uninstall and reinstall and about everything every techie in the world suggested. No luck. I think this HDD is heading for the trash barrel. :blink:

Doing well thanks :)

One more thought came into my little brain... Wonder if you had it on, and did a system restore..would it restore the external drive too???

One more before you trash it. I have a little DVR deal that supports an external HD, maybe it can format it?

Edited by 212

Don't throw it away!

Sounds like the formatting got messed up between fat32 and NTFS like you said. If your going to trash it send it to me I'm 90% sure I can format it. OR I can send you an ISO of Acronis Disk Director Suite - you will have to burn the ISO file to CD then boot to the CD and reformat the drive. It should work.

Also if you right click on My Computer > Manage

Click the Plus sign in front of Storage

Click on Disk Management - if you see the drive you can reformat it.

Not sure how you can save any of the pictures.... Maybe after the reformat try to recover the pictures, You may get some back.

Good Luck Travis