1stinky

Looking For Some History On Homebrewing

31 posts in this topic

Hey all! I always wonder about how all this homebrewing began. As I read things about the Jazz build and think back to my first store bought 35mm, I can't help but think about what started it all. So if some of the veterans could answer some questions like why, when , what your first build was, that would be cool. And do any of you still have your first build? I only started this about a year ago and my first build was a BG2,Sony lanc setup which I don't think I will ever get rid of. I like history and it was one of my favorite subjects back when I was in school and I thought this could be a fun thread!

Thanks to all!

I think someone here built one back in the 60's with a mouse trap, I can't remember exactly who. I started about 15 yrs. ago when they had the first modern day 35mm ones that were sandwiched between 2 boards with the solonoid that activated the shutter.

Vinemaplesavage had the mousetrap cam. There was a pic of it somewhere on this site, but I think it was deleted back when Hags moved the severs over. Homebrewing has been around for a long time, mostly by individuals.. But the collective efforts and brainstorming really started about 8-10years ago on another site. The first ones that I really remember were the 35mm cams powered by a solenoid to fire the cam. Then it morphed into hacking into the cam and having it fire when the sensor was tripped. The first digital cams I remember were the old Olympus cams, which I still use some.. Great little camera, although it only holds 128mb of memory.. In my mind, the folks that have really taken this "hobby" to a new level are guys like Brian.. Anyone can figure out how to hack into a cam, but these guys who know how to build and program a board from the ground up to fire the cams are simply amazing. I dont mean to leave anyone else out, but I remember Brian doing this WAY back in the day. Pretty neat to think about how far this has all come and what all the future holds in store. There are some really really really cool things we will see in the coming years...

Yea, the mousetrap camera is a classic. I think we should post it as a sticky :)

Or the Hags house LOGO

My brother, vinemaplesavage, got the idea from an article in the Popular Mechanics about a person that built one back in the 50's to take pictures to see what was getting into his garbage can.

Milt built one using a mouse trap and a Brownie Hawkeye camera. I remember checking the camera after school on many occasions when he was too busy. Even had some fun with the camera.

Things have came a long was since then with new cameras and fantastic boards. Still hard to beat a good 35mm owl Pf picture, and waiting for the roll to be filled and developed was heart wrenching to say the least.

cliff

post-280-1203967299_thumb.jpg

I've got to tell ya, after seeing the mouse trap cam, I'm sold..... I think I'll build one with a digital... this is classic and talk about getting back to basics.

I'm assuming he used a trip wire for the mouse trap, tied off to a tree or something.. looking at costs ! cam - 50.00, the rest, whats layin in the garage.. I'd have to say that would be the cheapest digital trail cam ever built.... an old umbrella maybe to keep it from getting wet.. !

thats a pretty cool picture, totally cool...

did'nt mean to get off the subject, and mean no disrespect with my comments. I really love it.

George

Just to add to what Wildebeast's said, his brother posted some B&W photo's of bears, etc that had 1956 on the margin of the pix's. Seems like he told me he eventually built 6 of them. I remember joking that this was an energy efficient model cause of the rubber band on it LOL

Before I found any Cam Forums, I built a motion camera I refer to as Old Ponderous. There is a pix of it attached below. It uses a solenoid out of a Jaguar automatic door lock to press the cheapo 35mm camera's shutter button and used 2 6volt lantern batteries. When I first came on the "Internet" scene, I think we all used solenoids to press the camera's shutter button.

Another person who built a motion camera before the Internet Scene was named Archilochus. He posted a pix of it once but I don't have it. He's on here from time to time and might be persuaded to post another pix of it on here and tell us a little about it.

Somebody eventually discovered the Olympus Owl PF 35mm film camera (forgot who, sorry) a dandy camera that carried the motion camera hobby a long way, from solonoids to 555 timers to PIC's and finally to complete camera controller units that even contained the PIR.

In those days there were no "Commercial" aspects in the hobby, everything was completely open and every design was posted on the Forum and everybody contributed something some

way some how. These were simple designs that most of us could create with just a little bit of effort and patience.

The guy who first came up with the PIC was named JoedD, I remember thinking he left half the circuit out when I seen his schematic LOL He solded the Chip for 10 bucks. Archilochus eventually coined the name "Camera Controller" about that time, since the PIC"s could do so much for us. He also was the first to realize we should be using OptoCouplers instead of relays and finally Brian really took off with the PICs, first making a unit called MultiFunction Timer, which we could change timing settings on by using the computer. Before this really took off, he came up with an 8 pin PIC that did amazing things.

There are so many people that did so much I hate to even try to mention their names and contributions cause I know I would leave out somebody. There were Engineering type guys, guys who were good at trouble shooting problems for our builds, guys who were our cheer leading section that had the gift of not letting us give up. Some were really good at ideas and thru them out there to see if they'd pan out. Quite a few were good at finding components for us.

Then finally some, like Hags, started One-Stop-Shopping for us that helped tremendously. We eventually evolved into complete units that are too sophisticated for the average person to build. In a way, it's a shame, we had a lot of fun back in the day.......

Sorry to make a book, got carried away Ha Ha

Tinhorn

post-625-1203985824_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tinhorn

Great reply Tinhorn, to modest to really say he was a very big part in the whole idea of improving the game cameras. I still have the schematics made by Gus for the 425 and Owl pf, also have quite a few of Brian's partial boards to go with the 425 to use them with digital cameras.

Can't remember anyone building the cameras to sell back then, but things just happen. The best part was to share pictures with friends form other states and countries so we could gain knowledge about animals and other ways of life. Life is too short as it is, and this helps improve a way of life.

A thanks to Tinhorn, Gus, Jag, Arch who still has a great amount of info on the internet, Haymaker, Jesse, Hags and all the others that have helped this hobby gain in popularity to take us to where we are know.

cliff

I still have the 49-425 Owl camera schematic on my PC as well...and many others, in fact i have a folder chock full of just about everything i could find from the day I found all you guys. I remember getting my first owl PF with the 425 sensor working, i couldnt beleive it actually worked..it sat on the table flashing away until the wife at the time freaked and made me get it out of the kitchen :lol:

That was a very good run down Tinhorn!! and old ponderous is famous!!

Edited by Passthru

This goes without saying, but here it is..homebrews was first on the scene for everything..first with the trailcam period, first with a motion sensor, first with 35mm, first with Digital, first with IR, first with timers and multi picture, first with video..the commercial camera guys sat back and let these guys here do all the work of figuring it out, they have always been one step behind...and didnt the cell phone cam come from a homebrewer first?

Guys, this is great! I had seen the mouse trap cam picture before but I thought it was a joke! I actually have it saved on my computer and sent it to one of my friends who is "tech" challenged and told him that even he could build one! Tinhorn, those camera pics are awesome, just one question though. Was that cam with the monster soleniod sticking out the top quiet enough??? :blink: I mean we disconnect s600 shutter motors because they are "too noisy"

Again thanks for your stories and I hope there are more to come.

Here's my 1st cam from I think around 2000:

1st cam

When I got started I set out to do a board using the GLOLAB circuit. I worked on that board for about a year using other timer options and was having lots of false trigger problems. Then I switched to Brian's 8 pin chip. With his chip and with some help from Brian on how the circuit worked, the false trigger problems were fixed. There are so many things that these guys had already worked out. The hack for the D380, Pelican cases, GOOP, radio shack sensor, owl pf and the list goes on and on. Here's the result:

380 in a 1120

Outside

Finally decided to do my own chip so I wasn't bugging Brian for chips during deer season and did the Sniper board. That was about another year with help from Brian, Haymaker and Archilochus. I've had help from many of the guys here and have gained many friends and so much more that I could ever give back. That's I guess kind of Snapshot Sniper history :ph34r: , but it still fits here. :P

Gary

Edited by ghoot

Stinky,

Those solonoids were loud as he$$, every picture I had from back then had the deer about 3' off the ground and in 4 wheel drive. This thread was a fun one and I'm sure a few others will still tell some good ones.

Also nice post Tinhorn.

Edited by Badgerbuckhunter