treetop

Show Your Jazz Build

Ok, I'll Play.

Large Wal-Mart Case

AL pipe through setup

PDA Case for IR ARRAY cover (left the plastic coating on for now)

12v AA's or 6v SLA will fit. (Have not decided what to use yet)

External Mic from Dell Laptop. (works decent without a amp)

post-40-1207364481_thumb.jpg

post-40-1207364488_thumb.jpg

post-40-1207364494_thumb.jpg

post-40-1207364506_thumb.jpg

coyotebandit,

Really nice job! Is the microphone mounted out the bottom of the case? I think I see a couple wires heading that direction.

Really nice job! Is the microphone mounted out the bottom of the case? I think I see a couple wires heading that direction.

Yes, I just used the rubber boot that was used when it was in the Dell Laptop to install it. Seems to work pretty good!

Nice job, Yote!

Anybody try stereo jack yet? Is there room for one anywhere?

I'm going to see if I can get one to work on my next build this week. It will be nice and clean if it will work.

Marcus

I think there is room for a stereo jack but I'm not sure why you would want to? You need atleast 5 wires for the hack and a 6th for battery positive for externals. If you add a microphone that's a couple more.

Mike

Here is my Jazz build. Not the greatest looking but worked really well when I tested it out. I built it in a Pelican 1060 Case. Naturally it is controlled by a Bigfoot board with two sister boards. One for the IR Array from Clay (Wildtronics) and the other is for a future Preamp. That is the reason for all the wire folded up on the left of the Jazz. I plan to connect it to a preamp from the external Mic (Whitetail Supply) and left the long cable until I get the preamp done. The External Mic is connect direct to the Jazz and does work, but I think will work better when I get the Preamp installed. The IR lens is from Electronics 123. The Cam also has a ½” Stainless Steele Pipe through, 2 C Batteries for the Jazz externals connect through the 6 wire servo plug and a 2.9 APH 6 Volt SLA Battery for the Array. I also put a small piece of PVC pipe between the Fresnel lens and the PIR/Day Night Sensors on the Bigfoot board to keep the IR array from shining on the sensors. Not sure if I needed to but I did it anyway. I’m not 100% complete but I couldn’t wait any longer so I put it out today to see how it works. Hope to get something worth posting this week!

post-5460-1207588922_thumb.jpg

post-5460-1207588455_thumb.jpg

post-5460-1207589272_thumb.jpg

I just can't beleive you got all that stuffed in a 1060................... nice job. :)

George

Well here is my 1st of probably many Jazz builds , 12 LED IR in a 1030.

post-564-1207601135_thumb.jpg

I hope to tweak a few items on the second build and may even try to squeeze in a preamp and microphone down the road.

For the array I used Clays LEDS and resistors but etched my own board so I could make a 12 LED array that would fit mounted on the outside of the case. Then I made a cover for the array out of WTS 670 IR material, put a lens extension on over the Jazz lens so the Jazz would lay flat in the cover, Snapshot Sniper HPWA Fresnel lens, a covered 3AAA battery holder on the Bigfoot board, 4 C’s for the array and an extra 2 AA in a covered holder for the Jazz aux power and packed in a little foam to keep everything in place.

I made a camera hanger for my P41/1020 builds and going to use the same design on this one.

post-564-1207601318_thumb.jpg

It is a pipe thru using a 7/32 aluminum tube and a 3/16” SS shackle to lock it in place, the hanger screws on the tree and the unit locks in the hanger.

Jazz/Bigfoot unit works great, I hope I get some decent battery life out if those 4 C’s and the 1030 does make for a tight compact unit.

Here is my Jazz build. Not the greatest looking but worked really well when I tested it out. I built it in a Pelican 1060 Case. Naturally it is controlled by a Bigfoot board with two sister boards. One for the IR Array from Clay (Wildtronics) and the other is for a future Preamp. That is the reason for all the wire folded up on the left of the Jazz. I plan to connect it to a preamp from the external Mic (Whitetail Supply) and left the long cable until I get the preamp done. The External Mic is connect direct to the Jazz and does work, but I think will work better when I get the Preamp installed. The IR lens is from Electronics 123. The Cam also has a ½” Stainless Steele Pipe through, 2 C Batteries for the Jazz externals connect through the 6 wire servo plug and a 2.9 APH 6 Volt SLA Battery for the Array. I also put a small piece of PVC pipe between the Fresnel lens and the PIR/Day Night Sensors on the Bigfoot board to keep the IR array from shining on the sensors. Not sure if I needed to but I did it anyway. I’m not 100% complete but I couldn’t wait any longer so I put it out today to see how it works. Hope to get something worth posting this week!

post-5460-1207588922_thumb.jpg

post-5460-1207588455_thumb.jpg

post-5460-1207589272_thumb.jpg what size battery or model # is the 6 volt

what size battery or model # is the 6 volt

This is what I ordered:

BM Part #: SLA-6V2-8

Voltage: 6 Volt

Capacity: 2.8 Ah

Type: Sealed Lead Acid Battery

Warranty: 1 Year

Shipping Weight: 1.00 Pounds

Length: 2.56"

Width: 1.27"

Height: 4.06"

http://www.batterymart.com/p-6v-2_8ah-seal...id-battery.html

Also I got this charger for Approx $18.00

http://www.batterymart.com/p-6v-500ma-seal...-charger-2.html

I got 2 batteries so I can charge one while using the other.

Very nice builds! But one thing Bowgod noticed and mentioned to me may be somthing that may be a problem. The placement of the IR array could cause false triggers if it sits close to the bigfoot board I know everyone wants to make a unit as small as possible, but I am worried placing the Bigfoot board right next to an "un insulated" array will start causing false triggers. The Array does not get real hot, but it can get quite warm if you let it run for a few minutes at a time or you dont use a delay and get a lot of nighttime activations in a row. I cant stress enough how important it is to get the PIR sensor far away from the array as possible. A 6 volt IR array pulls around 2 amps which equals 12 watts. So think of the array as a 12 watt heater if left on for a long time. Thats why I recommended that if you mount it inside the case with the bigfoot board that you put some type of insulator or box over the array to prevent the heat from the array reaching the bigfoot. It may turn out to not be a problem, but if any of you start getting false triggers during the night time recordings, you may want to better isolate your array or move it outside the box.

I am using a project box over the array like Coyote shows, but with silver tape on the inside to direct any heat back out through the front of the case. So far, I have not had any problems with false triggers, so it seems to do the trick. Just be careful with the array placement guys :)

Edited by Jaggermax