Jaggermax

Let Me Know If You Dont Have Your Array

Each led "string" on the array pulls around 240 ma on a 6 volt array . There are 8 strings total on the 6 volt array (2 leds per string in series with one of the 15 ohm resistors) , so a 6 volt array with 16 leds should drawn around 240ma x 8=1.92amps. On the 12 volt led arrays, there are 4 leds per string with a 22 ohm resistor . I am running the 12 volt leds a bit stronger, at about 290ma per string by the 22 ohm resistor. On the 12 volt array, there are 4 leds per string with a 22 ohm resistor in series with each string, for a current draw of around 290ma per string.... total current 4 x 290 ma or around 1.2amps.

I run the 12 volt array a bit stronger because I figured most would be using them with larger 12 volt batteries and Sony camcorders which need a bit more light than the Jazz from what I have seen. I could run the 6 volt arrays a bit stronger, but I wanted to try to keep the current draw down more so smaller batteries could be used. And this keeps the heat down so you could mount it inside the Jazz case.

Thanks Clay for the information. I'll check mine again. That is closer to what I am getting. I went back on the Wildtronics site to double check what I thought I read. It was under the Q&A section. This is what I had read earlier.

How long will my battery last with the array?

Depends on your battery. The 6 volt board pulls 2.4 amps. The 12 volt board pulls 1.2 amps. Since Power = voltage x current, they both have the same power draw. So to figure out your battery life, divide your battery amp/hr rating by the current draw of the particular array you have chosen. If using 4 C batteries to power a 6 volt array, the current rating of the C batteries are 8.3 amp hours. So with a 6 volt array pulling 2.4 amps, you will get about 4 hours of continuous use. You calculate the life of a 12 volt array the same way, just divide the amp/hr rating of the battery by 1.2 amps

I'll use the new information you gave me and get my new fluke out to compare readings. Since I don't have an IR Camera built yet I thought this was a good way to make sure I put the kit together correctly and did not damage anything.

Thanks again, the kit is really cool and putting it together yourself makes it seem more like homebrew. I can't wait to start the Jazz Build.

Just to update my post. I tested my array again with a new Fluke and I got 1.67 to 1.7 amps. I was watching Clays Video of the board construction and realized if you video the red led's you can see them light pretty well. So I did that and took amp. readings. I'm using a 6 Volt 7AH SLA Battery. Here is a video of the test. Looks good to me. I figure to get about 4 hrs. run time on one battery

Edited by TCSCOUT

Hey Jagger!!! I got mine... so that little pain in your rear should be going away shortly!!! :lol::lol:

WHEW!!!! Man was starting to worry stinky. I am getting low on LEDs again, and want to make sure I enough for everyone that got wrong orders. Not a whole lot, but enough that I needed to set most of my remaining leds asisde.

TC Scout, Hey sorry for the confusion, when I first did that array calcuation, I was using the values of my first prototype. I changed the board design and forgot to update my website, so the values on my site were for my prototype board, AND I think I had it wrong anyway. The values I posted above should be pretty close.

Fireslayer, what is your shipping address. I need to check it again, I cant find an email linking your Hags name to your shippipng name.

Edited by Jaggermax

Got it. You were the last that put an order in and I somehow left you off the shipping list. But I got you a board here boxed and ready to go. I went ahead and built your board up for you so you wont have to solder anything.

Still Nuttin Yet Clay... Just to let ya know :D

Rousser, I shipped out two last week to Canada . PM me your name and I will check on the shipping list. One was going to Alberta, but dont remember where the other one was going to . Will have to check my sheet when I get home.

Been workin like a madman so I've not been on the site lately. I did get mine tho. It's been sitting in my shop for a couple of weeks now waiting on some attention. FINALLY got my Jazz cameras in the mail from eCameras this week (ordered Jan 26). Once I catch up on the honeydoos I'll get started on the builds.

Thanks bud.