1stinky

Jazz Array Problem

I have a 6v 12 led setup and after completing the board, the bottom four are not lighting. I double checked the resistors and location... and checked that the leds are positioned properly.... any other possible problems I could look for???

Thanks

I wish that was it 212. I'M A MORON!!!!!!! 3 of the led's were going the wrong way! :blowup:

Yep, that wire used to align the led is tiny aint it :) Its getting hard for me to find it sometimes.

I just finished de-soldering and putting them the right way and still got nothing..... any ideas? Could I have ruined the leds by having them backwards? Is there any way to test the leds????? Jagg I finally noticed that there is a little arrow on the positive side pad that is a little easier to see than the wire.

Edited by 1stinky

Hey Stinky,

You cant damage them by installing them backwards. The other side of the led has floating contacts, so no harm.

First thing to do after you are sure the leds are installed correctly is to turn the board over and make sure ONLY the 6v jumper positions are set. One jumper position controls 4 leds, so if all leds are not lit, then most likely you set the jumper to the 12v position instead of the 6V position. If the 6 volt position for that string is set properly, next think to check for is to make sure you dont have a cold solder joint on that jumper. If that does not solve it, make sure all resistors are 150.

If that does not work, take a picture of the front and back of the board and email it to me. It could be that some leds are faulty, and if so, I can send you some to swap out. But usually if all 4 are together on one side of the board, it usually is the jumper.

I finally noticed that there is a little arrow on the positive side pad that is a little easier to see than the wire.

I found that also, on the bottom side pointing outward. I used it when I did mine. I still double checked them all.

Also, when you desoldered them, how hot did you get them? If you soldered both ends of the led to the board and then tried to remove them, becase you had to heat both ends of the led back and forth to get it to come off, then you may have put so much heat into the leds and damaged them. No big deal if that happened, I will send you some more leds. Thats the reason I usually dont solder the other end of the leds down (the floating ends on the outside edge of the board). Because once you solder those ends down to, it makes it a royale pain in the rear to remove and led.

I would surely solder the wrong jumper or put the resistor on the wrong pads if only one was needed lol...

Jagger, I figured it all out but It was too late for the led's by the time I did :unsure: . I am a very literal person when following directions....especially if I don't know what I am doing in the first place like this. In the instructions you show the resistors in spots 1,2,3,4,5, and 6. Then go on to state that the led's can then be placed to the left or the right bottom 4 positions.... If you place the resistors on 5 and 6, the leds have to correspond to that side of the board. I did not know this and by the time I got this figured out, everything had been heated quite a few times :blink::blink: . I got the lights to come on "most of the time" but only after reflowing and they were dim so I'm pretty sure they are shot. So, if you could send me out 4 leds and a couple of resistors that would be great... just let me know what I owe you.

Thanks

Darn amatures!!!!

Hey, got you some more boxed up. Will get them out Monday. Dont worry about it, stuff happens :)

Yea, I need to be a bit clearer when solding up the 8 or 12 led boards. You have to arrange the resistors on the back of the board so that they are behind the resistors on the front. Its kind of easy (I did it two a few time) to solder the 4 leds on the bottom on one side, flip the board over and solder the resistors on the other side where there are not resistors. I will see what I can do to make it easier to under stand.

Hey Stinky. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I ordered 6V eight LED array kit and soldered all the LED's backwards with the instructions right in front of me. Found the problem, re did it and everything worked. Added another 8 LED's later and the last two didn't work. Resoldered the jummper and resistor and VOILA!!! So don't feel so bad. My head has lumps all over from banging the bench!! LOL, DonL

Thanks guys.... Jagger your a good man! With all the R&D you guys have done and the BS you go through with the suppliers, its no wonder little things slip by on the instructions! I really appreciate all that you and treetop have done!!!! And just think, by the time the new leds get here, my Helen Keller 3-d camo might be dry and I can get it out in the woods!!

Thanks Again!!