BUCKSOH

Training Collars For Dogs

Good or bad whats your experience, I never liked them, but this dog is crazy,a guy I know used one and his dog is pretty good and he does not spend much time with his dog, I'm with our alot, soem things she has learned pretty quick but there are few other things that she just does not get. :angry:

I forgot to add, I was talking Shock collars.

Edited by BUCKSOH

Yes They can be effective but alot of people over use them and not at the time of the "incident" dogs have a really short memory span so you have to give it to em at the instant they commit the crime...My tri tronics collar has a tone setting and my dogs know when they here that tone or beep to come back to me and stop what they are doing.

I have a dog now that i burnt it good when it was a pup to stop her from running trash"deer" and i lit her feet on fire while chasing a deer and she came wipping back and hid under the truck.. now every time i put the collar on her she shakes and crawls under what ever she can..Maybe she was to young or just scared but i think it's with her for life...

Just take it easy and try the tone method, most have the tone/beep setting

Nutz

Thanks for the pointers, how old was you deer dog, most people tell me start at 6 months, which is next week, she might get a new collar for her birthday. :o

I've had occasion to use the Tri-Tronics collar and they work excellent "trashy" dogs. Had a redbone hound that chased deer religously once the rut started. I could catch the dog on the track and beat him soundly and he would think he wasn't chasing hard enough!!!! It got progressively worse until the "electricity" was brought to play. It cured him.

I'm sure they would work excellent for obedience training also. The secret is to use the "electric" part of them sparingly. Also there is an a shock level adjustment on them. The proper way is to get by with the lightest setting possible. The "warning button" should be the most used button on the unit.

Yeah good tips RKD

My dog was 4 months old and just hammering on deer..I think if they opened a season on that i would be in the game LOL

I have used one on my Britts,,,,,,,it really gets their attention. Use the lowest setting. I almost "fried" my female Britt when she was young & head strong, and I was frustrated with her behaviour.

This my sound cruel, but I strapped it to my forearm & gave myself a jolt to see what it felt like,,,,,,,I now use it sparsley :huh::huh::blink::blink:

Some people do over use them. once they learn what it feels like, it just takes a little ZAP to get them back in line.

Thanks guys, good pointers, I think it is pretty cruel so I will use is it on the lowest setting, and not often.thanks

Dogtra makes one with page/vibrate.

My dog goes nuts when he sees it, time to get after the pheasants!

I rarely use the shocker, mostly the vibrate just to get his attention.

post-2085-1210302744_thumb.jpg

Edited by redruff

I have been wondering about the same thing. I have a golden retriever, he just turned 2. Is he trainable for geese, I imagine. He does well and did well in obedience classes when a pup. Its just now if company comes over, he is just too excited and runs frantic and does not listen at all. I pondered a shock collar but don't know anyone who has ever used 1. Not too mention I would like to get him interested for goose hunting this fall possibly. We hunt fields no water areas, so I thought that would be a better situation as well for him & I both.

Any thoughts guys??

Just my opinion here...

I would reserve the shock collar ONLY for hunting situations...

Dogs get shock shy REALLY fast...

Your best bet is an intensive training regiment.

Enlist someone to help and setup him up for a couple door bell rings every 5 minutes or so.

Figure out what you want him to do when the bell rings and make him do it over and over.

When he starts figuring it out, reward him.

My dog is trained to lay down when the bell rings. This puts him in a lower submissive position right off the bat.

He can't get up until the person at the door wants to greet and calls him over.

It took a lot of work and practice but its worth it

Edited by redruff