Satellite Or Wireless Internet Service?

I read where you can use a service like Verizon wireless or another (maybe) service to use for internet service... can this be used for a Desktop computer as well? I'm not up on this stuff so help me out here if you can. It looks like it will be "tomorrow" (as in never) over and over again when I try to get DSL service here in the county. I need a faster service but have read a bunch of bad stuff on Satellite services!

I tried DSL as there is no way to get cable or other highspeed where I live.

When it worked, it was much faster than my dial-up, but as I said WHEN IT WORKED !!!!!!!! It was off more than on!!

They said I had a clear shot at the satilite, yet even on a bright sunny day without a cloud in sight, It was off as much as it was on.

They came back 3 times, changed out the dish, changed the reciever, and readjusted the way the dish pointed. NOTHING worked and had to cancel the whole thing luckly befor the 30 days was up, so I did not get stuck in the contract !!!

My son told me he has a thing through Sprint that works through cell phone towers ! We have them all over and one close to the house. Am waiting for him to come up (with the high gas prices) to see how it works here for him.

He says, (and I have never seen it yet) it should work everywhere! he says it cost him only $60.00 a month for that PLUS his cell phone so he could cancel out the land line. Now I could sure go for that!!! Seems to good to be true to me! I have had nothing but bad experiance with Sprint in the past!!!

If that system works, I would sure like to try it, especialy if someone other than Sprint offered it !!

Bat, I am not sure they make it for desktops.

Satalite dish, with internet service, satalite internet..is fast, it is good, it is expensive to get started, and is great for the web, useless for online multiplayer gaming..useless anytime a storm rolls in and blots out the sky and the dish cannot get a signal, do not be downloading 500MB files during stormy days is all.

personally, if i lived out of town, and would probably never get broadband internet any other way, this is the route i would go, i would bite the bullet and get the dish.

Edited by Passthru

DSL is thru the phone line and does not use a dish. It works great. I love mine.

Bat-YES ,Verizon makes a USB card for their wireless service.You can have it added to your verizon service plan.It's called--Verizon Wireless UM150 USB Modem,can be used with laptop or desktop.I use the PMCIA card for my laptop-wished I'd went with the USB ,can use it on the desktop if I wanted to.

Verizon Link

NOTE:You will need at least 2 bars of signal to get a fast download speed.My laptop PMCIA card is fast as my DSL here at home when you have all bars on the signal showing.

Edited by Vic

Great topic Bat, I have been looking into the exact same thing. I cannot get cable or dsl and I might have the slowest dial up in the world. I am a little concerned about the Verizon because when I look at their coverage map the road we live on is the dividing line between coverage and no coverage at all. I was wondering if ATT offered something similar. They have pretty good coverage in our area and I am not sure if I am out of contract on my current phone.

YES,ATT will offer something in the same order--A buddy of mine has it now-in the same situation as you are in Trapper.Look at what cell phone service you have now and go to the dealer and talk to them about your needs.

Cable is good but it comes with more houses and people, I never thought we would get it, well in the last 3 years we had 10 + new houses built on our street, and in the end we got high speed, I'd go back to dial up if we could get rid of those new houses. (lost alot of woods) But anyway my neighbor had direct tv internet he said it was not much faster then dial-up.

I hear you BUCKSOH. We aren't going to get cable or dsl anytime soon at my house so I have to find a plan B. I liked the idea of wireless over satellite because I can use it a lot more places.

I looked at ATT a little. If I read it right it is a lot slower than Verizon and similar in price, $60/month. I didn't see anything about phone/internet combo plans.

Anybody else have input on this?

I would like to have the mobile connection for my laptop, and i was not sure if i could get it through ATT, thanks vic..didnt know about the desktop either, but i have cable for it and my service with cable has been blazing fast, i love it, one of the lucky ones i guess.

I have a wireless card for my laptop from Sprint.When you have a really good signal it works well and is pretty fast,the only problem is 90 percent of the time i can't get a good signal no matter where i am and i live in the Houston area.My company pays for it,if i was paying for it they would get it back.

Thanks Vic, I had went to their site but didn't look hard enough for the information I guess. I was in there just now and select one of their phone checking it out.. you have to click on a subtopic beneath the phone usb to get the data where it shows this:

(Compatible with all devices supporting the Type A USB interface including desktops, notebooks, tablet PCs and PDAs )

That may be what I am looking for, I will check into it next week. Thanks again, bat

p.s. I have a tower that is about 4 miles from the house out here in the country so it should do ok. Will have to check to see what carrier it belongs to.. probably Alltel..

Edited by bat

BAT,if you already have Verizon service cell phone-you can add it to your account like I did...........

We have Alltel right now but are looking to change maybe... will be checking into it. thanks, bat