Satellite Or Wireless Internet Service?

I've been MIA, I know.. not everyone understands that DSL, Cable, all those fancy, schmancy things are NOT available in all areas. Yes, I have phone lines here but they are not capable of DSL and will not be upgraded for years and years.. I tried to get cable here for 18 yrs but they say there are not enough houses per square mile--last check was about 6 months ago. (I don't WANT that many houses here) Satellite is expensive to start up most of the time, it's on and off occasionally, but I got an offer for 'free' startup... a little higher monthly, but well worth it to me. Cable and DSL also have their 'down' times about as much as my satellite does, sometimes more, but with a generator, when everyone else was down here for a couple days due to a BAD storm, I had access--I didn't need the additional cable or phone line that were also out. I can't download huge files (over 750 mb) unless I set it up for between 3 and 6 am... but I can live with that. The satellite is great compared to dial up. It's all a matter of preference and affordability. I don't have time these days to wait hours for a file to get to me or to send one..

Just thought I'd toss that in. B)

Thanks Chris... bat

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the same situation as you. No cable/DSL in our rural area. 4+ miles from the nearest tower. Dish yes, don't want it. Signed up for a plan with Verizon at our local Walmart for $60 a month, with a 30 day free trial. They sent me home with a UM150 modem to plug into the desktop USB port and software to run the program after paying a $36.00 activation fee, nothing else.

I did everything according to instructions and showed no signal on the modem meter, occasionally one bar. Even showing no signal it is much faster than old dial up. I've lost my signal completely maybe three times in ten days and I spend several hours a day on the internet. I just reconnected and it worked again. I'm about midway thru the trial period. We kept Alltel as our cell carrier, Verizon is just for the wireless internet.

I went to Radio Shack asking about an external boost antenna that might increase the signal. They do offer one and I had them order it for me to try with the understanding I could return it. It will be here tomorrow or Tuesday so I'll see how it works or doesn't. It is also advertised to help your home cell phone signal also, except Nextel. It is a little pricey, $350.00, but with no other options available, even in the long, long term, for me it will be worth it if even helps a little. Good luck with your situation......... don

Here's a link to the boost antenna.

http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp...2032075.2032076

We have Alltel right now but are looking to change maybe... will be checking into it. thanks, bat

If you have Alltel you might be able to use you phone as a modem depends on your model. Also not sure if there is a charge for the software thou but not a bad idea for only an extra $25 bucks. // FROM ALLTEL WEBSITE: WLS Internet - Phones as Modem $25.00 // Probably cannot receive incoming call thou Not sure. I don't have this because I have cable. I did ask my Alltel Agent and here in Marquette they say you can get 2Mega bytes just depends on the tower. Not sure what the upload speed it. My 2 cents.

Bat,

The company I work for makes the equipment that Verizon, Sprint, Alltel and others use to offer wireless broadband service. Alltel is just rolling out it's high-speed service (known as Rev A in the industry).

Here's the coverage map for Alltel and it appears Cordele is covered: http://content.alltel.com/business/enhance...ge.jsp?state=ga

They'll probably require a 2-year contract and most of the plans run around $60 per month.

Thanks guys, I am checking on all of that.

OO I live about 22 miles S. SE. of Cordele but it's covered.

Edit: Good to hear from you btw, you killed any hogs over there at your place this year?

Edited by bat

wow! guess it was good I left all them thangs o'ver there for you! :lol: well except for two of them... nuthin like walking up on those suckers! Maybe you will thin them down but all those young pines will make it hard to do. Good luck this season on the deer it is time you got that ole Biggun in there! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I have been through this as well. I used to have the satellite & hated the cost vs speed/FAP. FAP is their fair access policy which in laymans terms means "you download a lot - we cut you off". If you download x amount they cut you back to 50k for a certain amount of time. Look into it before you spend any cash.

More importantly is the cell FAP. They allow ONLY 5gb a month. If you go over there are HUGE and I mean HUGE overage fees. Make dang sure you don't go over or you will see a bill like you hear about on the news. Something in the range of $2500 in a month if you just go to like 10gb. I know thats a large amount of data but if you download any movie trailers.......programs......or whatever then you are going to exceed that 5gb in a very short amount of time.

I also live in a rural area where DSL ( best option IMO) and cable are not available.

I got lucky and found a WISP service just starting out in my area. WISP is a wireless internet service provider. They use a T1 connection to a tower and use radio antennas much like a cb radio system to transmit data. I consistently get 750mb download and 250mb upload speeds in peak times and 1.5mb down in the off hours and thats unlimited downloads. With 4 of us using the internet in the house that 5gb maximum would kill me. They charged me $300 to set up the system (just a little radio antenna in my upstairs window) and $50 a month for the service. It is succeptible to lightning strikes at the main tower so it's down a fair amount (once or twice a week) here in South Alabama during the summer when it storms nearly every afternoon but they get it back up and running pretty quickly. Anyway good luck on your search.