Hard Drive Crash, Need Some Help.

As soon as the power was turned on to the computer the hard drive starting clicking. I immediately starting tapping on it with a screw driver, I tapped on it on top and starting tapping on one side when it finally stopped clicking. From there I just starting backing up everything as fast as I could once the system came up.

Yes, the tolerances on the drives are critical and swapping components out like the disks into another could damage or destroy any data that is on it. My wife's cousin is a computer guy, he has his own computer business and that is one thing that he had told me when talking to him. That is why when you or if you send one to a company that charges BIG $$$ that has a clean room. Most of them remove the disks out of the bad drive and put it in their own reader, they are able to do this because they know the exact tolerance for each drive and can set theirs up accordingly.

As for the software I have never used any data recovery software. So I cant give out any info there. I do know that what works on one drive might not work on another. All I know is that I knew that one day I was going to have to break down and send that drive off to have my wife's pictures retrieved of it. When it went down I tried everything to get it to function with no luck. In fact at the end it would lock my computer up if I even had it plugged in. It was toast. 3 years later I pull it off the shelf and im able to get it to work long enough to get my data off it.

I got a dumb question. When I replace my hard drive, how do I FORMAT it ? Or how do i know if It comes formatted? This is on an IBM thinkpad laptop.Thanks, .

PS

I am not meaning to hijack the post,LOL.

Thats an easy one, right click on Start, (XP) left click on explore, (if its a slave drive) then right click on the drive, and select format. If it doesn't show up, you will have to use the method mensioned above, on managing your hardware. If its a new drive and your starting from scratch. your windows disk should be in the PC on start up. and it will then ask you to partition and format the drive before installing windows.

• 1 month later...

I sure hope you still have the drive... Go and download a program called active partition.

http://www.partition-recovery.com/

This will scan your drive even if it shows empty and restore files if they have not been over written by another fie. I have done this 3 times cheap if your looking at recovering pictures, etc. Even if it has been reformated. It rocks download the trial version and see if it works if it does then buy it and save your money.

ill give it a try, but if my pc wont even see the drive, i cant see that it will work. I wont be able to tell it were to look.