dkirk

Vivitar 2000 (2000ve Board)

8 posts in this topic

Just when I thought I had seen all of the different versions of the Vivitar 2000, another one pops up (thanks to TCSCOUT). Below are the low power mods I have found for the Vivitar 2000 that has the 2000VE board.

The low power mods are step 1 and 2 below, and steps 3 through 7 are additional steps to simplify the build.

Low power mods.

1) Remove the Neon bulb.

2) Remove the 22K ohm resistor (or clip one leg).

Additional mods.

3) Remove the bounce back detector by unsoldering the wires that go to it (or cut the wires).

4) Remove large black jumper wire by unsoldering it from the board (or cut the wires). This removes (isolates) the large SCR (CR12BM-8 from the circuit).

5) Remove the yellow wire from the board that connects to the hot shoe.

6) Remove the black shielded cable from the board (shield and white wire are inside this cable), and solder two new wires onto the circuit board where the shield and white wire connected. These new wires become the trigger + and trigger - wires.

7) Replace the on/off switch with a jumper if you decide to remove the on/off switch.

post-2799-1218166310_thumb.jpg

post-2799-1218166331_thumb.jpg

Note : since the bottom of the board has surface mount components I was not able to totally duplicate the circuit on paper, but it appears the above listed mods work as desired. If any problems are encountered with the above mods, please let me know as soon as possible. Without the mods, the unit discharged from 300 volts down to 67 volts in 10 minutes time. With the unit modified, the unit now discharges from 300 volts down to 274 volts in 10 minutes time.

(As always modification of commerical products is done at your own risk. Use extreme caution since high voltage exists within flash units. Take proper steps to assure all energy has been discharged (from the capactiors, etc.), before touching any component within the flash unit.)

Enjoy,

Don

Edited by dkirk

Here is a view showing all of the components after being fully modified.

post-2799-1218166572_thumb.jpg

Don

Edited by dkirk

Great job Don!

Thanks for all you help on HAG's.

TCSCOUT

Great Job B) ...You sure are an asset to hag's

Thanks Again

Life is like a Vivitar 2000....you never know what you're going to get. Someone said that..........

Anyway, thanks!. I've got four of them I haven't opened up yet and who knows what I'll find.

Life is like a Vivitar 2000....you never know what you're going to get. Someone said that..........

Anyway, thanks!. I've got four of them I haven't opened up yet and who knows what I'll find.

Good one Forrest !!!!

Don, you are the MAN !!!! Thank You for your time and sharing !!!!!