Sign in to follow this  
bearhunter

1020 Homebrew Security

put a steel open bottom box on the bottom so that the locks are tucked up inside, they wont be able to get bolt cutters on those locks that way :coolsmiley:

I have been wanting to make something similar to this myself, just could not figure it out to where the lock would be inaccesible to bolt cutters, looks like your almost there right now, great design, one of the best ones i have seen yet!!

Edited by Passthru

Thx Passthru, with the masterlock I linked in the earlier post it will be pretty difficult to do much with. The lock wont be able to be turned to get a better angle for a hacksaw or sawzall and with the tree right behind it you wont be able cut the lock shank straight on. I have another option which is to shorten the pipe and rod so they are basically level with the bottom and drill the hole thru so the lock will pass through the rod and pipe behind the lower box part. But I'm afraid it will be too aggravating to access to put the lock on. By adding a piece of angle iron across the bottom it will be almost impossible to get to the rod or lock with a hacksaw. This design is really pretty simple to build, its just 10 pieces and simple to weld. Just altering the size of the top and bottom and the length of the rods and pipes can make it fit pretty much any size cam case.

I go on the premise that hiding it is the best protection and if someone is determined to come back with tools to get it they will bring whatever is needed to get it. By bolting, it does away with the tell tail cable or chain around the tree. Access isnt bad, unlock, pull the top off, change card put top back on and lock. A friend and I have already built a couple proto-types to get to this point, we both hunt mainly public land and are determined to keep our cameras.

Thx for the feedback, I'm open to building a few of these if someones interested :)

Killet's is the best I've seen. Here is a pic of mine, it's not as tough as Killets but I have limited tools. On the bright side I got a bunch of the steel as scrap. Downside would be that bolt cutters or a hacksaw will get someone in. My hope is nobody will drag either up into the middle of nowhere.

I like the idea of welding a peice of steel to make cutting the lock harder.......Scott

IMG_1009.jpg

i really like the design, makes it quite difficult to steal. hopefully noone will break the camera though - seems like that would still be easy to do. thats what someone did to my first cam when someone realized he wouldnt be able to steal it :(

Hey folks i just wanted to update everyone on my quest for security.Killet made me this for my 1020 pelican setup.I had him make a few tiny changes to fit my needs.I can now either lagbotl this to a tree or use a lock and chain with the assistance of a few bungee cords.I feel very safe hanging my homebrew now ! See pics below.Any questions regarding design etc should be directed to Killet here on this site.I may also say he seems to be a really nice guy and wants to see this hobby catch on and move forward.

Bearhunter (Tim)

post-2784-1238956580_thumb.jpg

post-2784-1238956611_thumb.jpg

post-2784-1238956628_thumb.jpg

more pictures of Killet's design.

Bearhunter

post-2784-1238956928_thumb.jpg

post-2784-1238956936_thumb.jpg

post-2784-1238956944_thumb.jpg

Thx for the kind words and hope it works out for you.

I have to explain and apologize tho, I mixed up the height and width measurements on this one and had to put the splice in the centers of the top and bottom parts so it would be wide enough for the cam to fit into. And I'm a beginner welder, the welds arent pretty but they are strong. :)

Great stuff, i may have to make myself one off this design, saving pics for reference!!!