well, I got moved in to my new house (well almost done) and pretty much have everything hooked up. I signed up for internet thru comcast here and I plugged my computer in and there is nothing.....it says windows must be re-installed...it wont even get me anywhere where I can open anything, will not boot up so basically my windows XP has disapeared from my computer.

anyone know how that could happen ? my ex says she did not mess with it at all and I am the one who just unplugged it from her house and re-plugged everything back in at my new house.

does this mean I have lost everything that I had stored in my computer, all my programs and pictures and all that stuff ?...I'm still new to modern technology and pretty computer illiterate so any advice or help with this matter would be so appreciated I'd be willing to pay you....

I'm at a loss as to how windows could be gone without someone removing it, it just does not make sense to me....

George

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you did lose everything and maybe you didn't. You can take it to a shop and ask them to try to do file recovery. they should be able to put it in as a slave and get your files if they are on the disk. Did you perhaps pack the pc near a magnet like those on stereo speakers? That can destroy it. You can also pay big $$$ to have the data professionally recovered. If you take it to a shop and you care about your data, tell them explicitly that you do not want the operating system reinstalled until you give the OK to do so. Only give the OK to do so when you are ready to give up on the data. Too many idiots out there run pc repair services and love reinstalling the OS as the "fix it all".

thanks tbass for the reply, man I sure do have alot of stuff on there I dont want to lose, all my programs for my picaxe stuff and vacation pics from the last 6 yrs and all of my trail cam pics.....you know, just lots of personal things and memorys and lots of programming work. I have all my "project 3 eyes" stuff in there and had spent alot of time programming all the parts for it so I sure hope its recoverable...

I never had it anywhere near any speakers that I know of so hope thats not it..I guess I'll take it to our local shop and see what they can do with it...

thanks again tbass,

George

hey George - bummer about your pc. For what its worth, i had a company laptop that gave me the blue screen of death. I took it to Best Buy and, password protected and all, they were able to get into the hard drive and recover all my files. that was several years ago, and it wasnt cheap (couple hundred dollars i believe) but it was worth it to me.

good luck with it.

Sometimes if you get another windows xp and put it in the cd/dvd drive it should recognize it reinstall and run all your data should still be there. You just need an operating system/windows xp to run it.

That is my thoughts a similar disaster happened to me and that is how I fixed. Hope it helps just my thoughts on it good luck

How many times have you tried to turn it on? One time not long ago, I had the same thing happen, I turned the computer off and then turned it on and kept hitting esc and it gave me the option to open it in safe mode and then I just went to one of my back up points and restored from there and it has worked fine since.

The first thing I would check is to make sure nothing came loose inside your case.Loose cards,loose connectors and such..This can happen when moving things around.After that--will it boot into safe mode?

thanks guys for all the suggestions, I'll try them out when I get home tonight and see what happens........I appreciate all the help...

Sounds odd and something happenend in transit..

Difficult situation when yer unversed in computers...data recovery can be expensive and rarely ends you back exactly where you were with anything organized..let alone the loss of yer op system.

Do not slave the drive into another system as it can be changed. There are better methods such as getting on someone elses computer and making a Bart PE disk (pre install disk) that will let you get files off or let someone that knows what they are doing work on the configuration or do a restore.

Do try to start in safe mode first by pushing F8 or whathave you repeatedly while booting . If you can get that far yer probably good to go for further fixing..No way in hell would I trust most shops with my data...

ps- btw.. how is good o'le Hags House doing these days?.. aint been here in a coons age.

Travis,

its a black screen and it says " error- missing windows system "32" file, must re- install windows op disk. thats not word for word but I'll copy what it says tonight and edit this with the actual message.

when I first turn it on, it shows the Dell screen with the load bar, f2 and f12 in upper right corner, when the load bar gets about half way booted the screen goes black and a cursor flashes for approx 10 seconds then the error above shows up. from there does nothing, I opened her up and everything inside is still plugged in and everything looks good.

strungout,

I tried turning it on and off and rebooting a half dozen times and still does the same thing, I'll try hitting f8 tonight when I get home and see if that will get me in somewhere.

what a pain in the rear.....I have (had) alot of stuff in there I'd like to get back so hopefully I can get it figured out without spending a bunch of money....

Edited by bulltalk.65

If the error message has the word "windows" in it, your hard disk is being seen just fine by the pc. I can't think of the file off the top of my head but does it say something like "NTLDR is missing"? I was told you can fix this manually, but I have never tried.

If that is the message, you can plug your drive into the IDE cable and power plug that a CD/DVD drive in another computer uses and get your files back. You shouldn't have to change any jumpers because its on a different controller. The computer should show your drive as D E F of something when you open "My Computer". Just navigate around and find your files. If you don't have another pc, see if a friend will loan you one perhaps?

I wish I could help you with it but been down that line one time before. Mine wasn't just like that but it wouldn't go so I ended up in the shop with it. I agree with the above sometimes that is not the best option. They were able to save a lot of my data but after repeatedly completely installing XP attempts "with" Microsoft on the phone with them to help they never were able to get my computer back to where it orginally was at when I purchased it. I completely lost my D drive. I did find something on HP's site a few months back that would let me order a couple set of disks for my perticular computer. I now have those and one day I am going to try to re-install the system from scratch again just to get that back.

One thing I did invest in was a couple of usb pen drives... very cheap easy to use and you can completely copy your entire "My Documents" on one of those. I routinely now update it just so "if" that day comes again I will have that as a backup. There are huge amounts of things that you do not want to lose in the My Documents file. Invest in those will pay off big time. Good luck with it, bat