I did find something on HP's site a few months back that would let me order a couple set of disks for my perticular computer.

They used to send them to you with the pc for free but decided to make a buck. You can also create those disks when you buy a new pc.

One thing I did invest in was a couple of usb pen drives... very cheap easy to use and you can completely copy your entire "My Documents" on one of those. I routinely now update it just so "if" that day comes again I will have that as a backup. There are huge amounts of things that you do not want to lose in the My Documents file. Invest in those will pay off big time. Good luck with it, bat

I have a bunch of "little" pen drives in the 1, 2 and 4gig range and they don't hold much. I have a 16 I keep most of my programs, code and pics on. The thing that might best suit you would be a bit more expensive but much cheaper per GB of space.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;name=2.5%22

I have one of these I made out of my OEM drive from one of my laptops that was 120GB. I keep a back up of my important stuff on it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its a black screen and it says " error- missing windows system "32" file, must re- install windows op disk. thats not word for word but I'll copy what it says tonight and edit this with the actual message.

Well that sounds better than "no operating system found"! I'm in a hotel this week but I might have the tools you need on this computer. I recovered a computer recently by manualy restoring the computer using the windows restore files but that was a corrupt registery. I'll do some more digging but get us the exact message.

Putting this drive either in a USB conversion box or in another computer will most likly allow you to get all your files off of it. I have done this several times with the USB conversion box.

ok Travis,

here is the actual message it displays:

" WINDOWS COULD NOT START BECAUSE THE FOLLOWING FILE IS MISSING OR CORRUPT...<WINDOWS ROOT>\SYSTEM 32\HAL.DLL.

PLEASE RE-INSTALL A COPY OF THE ABOVE FILE"

I DONT HAVE A COPY OF ANY OF THE FILES, I PURCHASED THIS COMPUTER WITH THE OPERATING SYSTEM ALREADY INSTALLED ON IT AND DID NOT RECEIVE A COPY ON DISK.....

hopefully this is something that can be easily fixed......

George,You are not alone.My work laptop just gave me the Blue screen of death 2 weeks ago.I have the computer kid at one of our other stores trying to pull all my files,especially my customer list.Good luck with yours.

I am using this old desktop now and trying to figure out the keyboard still.Gosh, I dont want to buy another laptop.....it cuts into trailcam funds. :blink:

Tim

Bulltalk and Boney, you guys put the jinks on me. My computer died this morning. The only good thing is that most of my pics and files were on a external hard drive and they are OK. But my picaxe codes and some other recent information had not been transferred yet. It slowed right down to a crawl, would not let me restore to a earlier date and the more that I tried the worse it was getting. I logged out and back on and still no good. Then I did a shutdown with auto restart and it would not boot up. I tried the safe mode, last known good boot, etc. I lost one of my external hard drives about a month ago with some stuff on it I would like to have so I decided to not mess around. I took it to a computer place to see if they can transfer everything on there on a disc for me and just put another (larger) hard drive in for me. That Computer has been the best I have ever had. Never had a problem with it, until now and the virus protection was great. I think I could have reloaded the software and started over, but I would loose all the files I have on there. I learned when I lost the external hard drive before that it takes you a while to realize some of the things that you lost. So they are going to see what they can recover. Hard to believe how something like that can make you feel :blink: That computer was loaded with lots programs, now I got my old bare bones computer here for backup, no Picaxe, Photo Shop, Email, Shortcuts, Word, Excel and who knows what else. I hope they get it up and running and I can get it back to almost like it was. This is no fun at all. Just to let you know that you’re not alone.

Roger

I should open a shop around here. I could fix your problems and then you guys can tell me how to fix all my problems on cams.

Man Roger that really stinks and believe me, I know the feeling.....it almost makes you feel sick to your stomach knowing it may be gone for good and not know what all you really had in there......

I had all my picaxe programs and project 3 eyes stuff, my w55 p32, and p41 and s40 programs and approx 10,000 pictures in there....the pictures are really what I'm worried about losing......I have an appointment with a guy to come out and check it out so hopefully it will be ok.

I'm going to have to get up with the technology and find out about doing backup and whatever else is available and get things on disc so I never have to go thru this again.....

Man Roger that really stinks and believe me, I know the feeling.....it almost makes you feel sick to your stomach knowing it may be gone for good and not know what all you really had in there......

I had all my picaxe programs and project 3 eyes stuff, my w55 p32, and p41 and s40 programs and approx 10,000 pictures in there....the pictures are really what I'm worried about losing......I have an appointment with a guy to come out and check it out so hopefully it will be ok.

I'm going to have to get up with the technology and find out about doing backup and whatever else is available and get things on disc so I never have to go thru this again.....

George, I'm better off than you are. I have most of my photographs on disc, and the ones I don't have on disc yet are on an external hard drive. The external drive that I lost a while back had almost all word and excels files on it. Luckily I had copied my wife's stuff and put on her laptop and got a backup for her computer before I lost it. That's the worst that can happen, lose your wife's files :angry: But I had all my hunting records on there and hunting diary from the past 35 or so years, some family records and information. Now I only have the written ones from the first 20 or so. I just try thinking of some of the real problems that other people have and then it doesn’t seem like much. Maybe this is my warning to get another back up drive and backup everything that I don't have on a disc. I think they will get most of what I have if not all off the computer disc. If so it will just be a pain getting it all set back up like I had it. I kept saying I was going to get a backup drive and back everything up, but talk is cheap. Good luck with yours, hope you get it all back, hope we all do, Boney too.

Roger

George,

I just got home from my four weeks away. I'll gather my SW and put some note together when I get home form work tonight or by tomorrow.

There are manual ways to do a system restore from a command prompt you just need to boot into safemode with command prompt option or I'll find my boot CD and get it to you.

Edit: If you can get into safe mode with command prompt try this and pick a restore point prior to when the problem started http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

Edited by FznYupr

The below info from http://www.windowsbbs.com/windows-xp/64545...ng-corrupt.html and other places... I have used this method with success when the System Restore feature of Windows XP is enabled.

Download and upzip the .iso file in the PM is sent you and burn it to a CD. Most burning software can burn an .ISO image to a CD.

Here is a snipet of a post it's easier to copy and past then to rewrite....

Then try running an abbreviated System Restore (assumes you had it activated) from the Recovery Console: Boot from the CD you created and select Command Prompt from the menu. A window will open.

From the Command Prompt, navigate to the folder \System Volume Information of the root drive, using the command:

cd C:\System~1

Here, locate and navigate to the folder whose name begins with _restore using the command:

cd _resto~1

This folder contains many subfolders which have names of the form RPxxx, where xxx is a number indicating the restore point. Locate an RPxxx folder which has the highest number as its suffix (highest xxx) using the command dir command. Then navigate into that folder using the command:

cd RPxxx (don't forget to replace xxx with the corresponding number!)

Now, there will be a folder named snapshot. Navigate to this folder using the command:

cd snapshot

There should be a file named _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM, copy this file to the \Windows\System32\Config folder with the name System using the command:

copy _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM C:\Windows\System32\Config\System

Then reboot the system. This method works only when the System Restore feature of Windows XP is enabled.

Thank you so much Travis, I really appreciate the help. I'll try this tomorrow morning when I'm home and have all day to mess with it. if I run into any problems or questions I'll give you a buzz....

Sincerely,

George

Travis,

I burned the iso to a cd at work and saturday tried it, it still wont let me in anywhere to get a prompt to get anything typed in so I guess I'm screwed...... :angry:

Travis,

I burned the iso to a cd at work and saturday tried it, it still wont let me in anywhere to get a prompt to get anything typed in so I guess I'm screwed...... :angry:

Did the CD boot? You may have to change your BIOS boot order to boot from CD. You also have to hit a key to boot from the CD when it prompts you on the screen (you need to be quick). Once the CD is booted a selection in the main menu is <command prompt>.

This is an intel computer correct like windows XP correct?

it is a dell with windows xp, do you know which key must be hit while its coming up ? when I turn on the computer, I put the cd in, I can hear it fire up, it goes into its dell startup screen and for the 3 or 4 seconds its on it shows f-2 and f-12 in the upper right corner and yep you gotta be quick to hit one of those keys.....I know if I hit f-8 once in a while it will get me to another screen but I dont know what to do with any of what it says there....

it seems I remember seeing something about different boot options, I'll giver another try tonight...I dropped my phone from my buddys balcony friday and it fell to the street so I'm out of a phone right now to otherwise I'd just call you...... this has been a bad last 2 weeks, someone stole my bank card number online and charged on my checking account so I had to close my bank account and am pretty much locked out of my own money until I get the fraud docs in the mail and sign them and return them and get a new card issued......